Straight Dudes: How would you treat a gay team member?

• Straight Dudes: How would you treat a gay team member?

Please Read Below Before Answering
      Well I’m a senior in Highschool and a dude and I’m gay. No I don’t talk with a lisp, walk like a girl, dress like one or act like one. I’m the total opposite of that; I’m pretty “normal” acting or masculine as the average male is perceived. Now with that in mind here’s my issue!

I’m in the basketball team and I want to tell a few good teammates of mines that I’m gay. But here are the obstacles:

Problem # 1: No one knows I’m gay, nor does anyone suspect
      Problem # 2: All my friends are straight males and quite homophobic at that
      Problem # 3: My teammates think gay men are weak, have no idea I’m homo
      Problem # 4: I’m afraid of losing my friends
      Problem # 5: If I tell my teammates not only might they tell my friends but they won’t treat might treat me differently.

So guys do you think if I come out my teammates will be supportive and treat me the same, how would you treat a gay team member?

Thanks!
      [SIZE=3][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun![/SIZE]
    • Re: Straight Dudes: How would you treat a gay team member?

I'm not a dude, I'm not straight, but this is my opinion: Even people who like you when they think you're straight, might think very differently of you when you come out. I know, it happened to me. I don't regret coming out, I lost a lot of friends though. So be careful who you come out to.
      Honestly, I'd say wait until after high school. People are sometimes more accepting, and when you're in high school, so people think it's a "phase".

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

P.S. - Oh my God, wait until David sees you... :rofl:

I've played football with a gay guy on the team .. it was a non issue really, the guy was a great player. In the locker rooms .. meh, he was just one of the guys really, I never felt weird cos really I knew he had no interest any way. It always seems weird when guys assume that just because they're around a gay guy means they'll be looking at them and wanting them. I think if you dropped a guy into any female locker room there would be plenty of girls you wouldn't want to look at either.

Poogle wrote:

I'm not a dude, I'm not straight, but this is my opinion: Even people who like you when they think you're straight, might think very differently of you when you come out. I know, it happened to me. I don't regret coming out, I lost a lot of friends though. So be careful who you come out to.
      Honestly, I'd say wait until after high school. People are sometimes more accepting, and when you're in high school, so people think it's a "phase".

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

P.S. - Oh my God, wait until David sees you... :rofl:

Take heed of this womans advice. Definately the best. I would not do it. You think she had it tough? She's a girl people are much more accepting of lesbians than they are of gays. I'm not going to include my personal thoughts on this because you wouldn't be to happy with them however I think you should hear them(PM me if you think you can handle my story) but let me say there are guys out there who would hurt you to not be on a team. I'm not saying it would happen to you or threatening you by any means, but it is a slim but nonetheless danger of "coming out of the closet".

However I will say that the world seems to be much more accepting of gay these days, in fact of everything generally. America is a very welcoming country these days whether your gay, black, hispanic, latino, arab, trans, whatever you are.

But I still wouldn't do it.

Good luck.

Oh and after re-reading your post (sorry I have a bad case of the "skims") I can guarantee you that you will lose your friends and all respect of all if not almost all of your friends if they are truly homophobic, which most high school males are. And statistically speaking most gay men are weaker then straight men so if you want to come out of the closet realize that and dont deny it.

Again, my advice is to not do it

Do the right thing!

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

scottiedawg wrote:

If you do tell them, please tell us what your hazing is like! A bunch of horny jocks may just have a use for you.

This is something like I said is a possibility. What I'm saying is if your going to come out of the closet be ready for a possible confrontation(s) and if you choose to come out and are cornered fight like your life depends on it!

With that said, if I was on a football team or any team and had a gay player I would not mind at all, I would treat him like an equal as long as he was a respectable guy, ya know.. As much as I believe it's wrong no one has the right to judge someone else and tell them what they can and cannot do.

You can never get the kind of love from a man that you can get from a woman. It's human nature. It's natural.

It's never too late to convert to being straight!

It's a fact in my mind that there is no such thing as a gay man. You can be 80 years old and if your still gay your just a 80 year old boy to me. When you do the right thing you are a man in my book. These are just my opinions please do not take offense or get angry.

Hope this helps.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Holdon ().

I think that what i've found is that some people are more accepting than they let on to believe. I personally found out that a senior last year actually was curious even though he never would have told anyone; we just had a really strong, open friendship. Saying that, however, I'm not sure I would tell the team...

I played alot of sports (now just tennis) and I think that if I would have told some of my team-mates, even ones that were my best friends, they would have distanced themselves at least. Not that I'm fully gay; but bi... mmm, perhaps. lol But I live in the the U.S South, so homosexuality isn't the easiest subject to talk about, at least in high school; though things are changing. I guess I could say alot more, but I'll finish by saying that if you do want to tell someone, tell your best friend first and see how he reacts. If you want to talk more, feel totally free to message me or something. :)

Well you live in Canada so there is no public or private discrimination against gays there. So why not come out then?
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!