Talking to My Dad About Glasses

• Talking to My Dad About Glasses

Okay, so my dad is extremely critical. When I was in third grade, I had once brought up the fact that I was having a hard time seeing the black board. He gave me some stupid bullshit test; he held up a newspaper and asked me to read it when it was like, four feet away from me. Well yes, I could read it, but apparently that made him come to the conclusion that my eyes were fine.

Now I'm 15, and being my curious self, I asked my brother if I could see his glasses because I was bored. I put them on and everything became a hell lot sharper. It's most noticeable with text and fine objects, such as hair on my arms or something like that. I can also see detail in objects a lot easier, like it helps define highlights/shadows on bumpy surfaces, etc. The thing is, now my dad has the impression that I absolutely do not need glasses. So how am I supposed to bring this up with him?

My mom isn't exactly an option, seeing as she barely has any money and would just tell me to ask my dad (they're divorced btw).

The post was edited 1 time, last by yUbTrollin ().

• Re: Talking to My Dad About Glasses

I would just tell him that you're still having issues seeing in school and you think you would benefit from glasses. Then of course tell him that when you tried your brother's glasses, it immensely helped your vision. He should at least take it into consideration, as your parent...

Also, you could go to the school nurse and ask for a vision test. If your eyesight is poor or below average, you could ask her to give you a report/summary of the test to show your dad, plus maybe even her personal recommendation of glasses. But if your eyesight comes out as average, then it may be hard to convince him.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

artizhay wrote:

Also, you could go to the school nurse and ask for a vision test.

I've taken many vision tests from the school nurse in the past and she always said I had passed on average. I really don't think that my eyes are worse than average, but I'm not comfortable with the fact that I can see a lot clearer with my brother's glasses on. I guess my only argument would be that my brother's glasses do help.
      The main thing that I worry about is that he might bring up the fact that I'd never mentioned it between third grade and now, and I know he believes that there's no way in hell that a person can develop an eye problem at my age. That's the only argument that I don't know how to fight; how am I supposed to tell him that I didn't realize my vision was blurry? Because to be honest, I don't even feel like it's that hard to tell that it is, but for some reason it never occurred to me.

Could you ask the school nurse about it? Tell them what you told us, and then perhaps she can write a note to your father saying that you should see an eye doctor. From there, you could talk to your eye doctor (without your father being present) about how your brother's glasses helped you, and your eye sight bothers you in school. Also, tell him about your father's views on you getting glasses, and how he is against the idea. From there your doctor can talk to your father about the situation saying how glasses could help you.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Between third grade and the age of 15 you've had plenty of time for your eyes to change or worsen.

I'm 18 and I just got glasses last year. I think my prescription is like -0.25 or -0.50 or something, which is tiny. But just enough to see the board from far away, or to help when I'm driving (it's shocking how tiny street signs are!). I really didn't want glasses though because I can get by without them, and the doctor said I wouldn't have needed them if I didn't have a license.

As much as I hate them, and even though I can get by, that little bit can make quite a difference. You could try telling your dad again, and explain that your brother's glasses help. If you haven't been to an optometrist in a long time, it wouldn't hurt to get your eyes checked out no matter how your eyesight is, especially since you're almost 16 (and going to be driving soon, I'm assuming).

Scaredycrow wrote:

Between third grade and the age of 15 you've had plenty of time for your eyes to change or worsen.

I'm 18 and I just got glasses last year. I think my prescription is like -0.25 or -0.50 or something, which is tiny. But just enough to see the board from far away, or to help when I'm driving (it's shocking how tiny street signs are!). I really didn't want glasses though because I can get by without them, and the doctor said I wouldn't have needed them if I didn't have a license.

As much as I hate them, and even though I can get by, that little bit can make quite a difference. You could try telling your dad again, and explain that your brother's glasses help. If you haven't been to an optometrist in a long time, it wouldn't hurt to get your eyes checked out no matter how your eyesight is, especially since you're almost 16 (and going to be driving soon, I'm assuming).

Thank you for the reply, it really helped :)
      I talked to my mom about the problem, and she actually has to get an exam in less than a month anyway, and since I'm insured under her name, I can get an examination where she goes, so I think that part's all cleared up.

I was also worried about the fact that since it feels like such a little difference with and without the glasses, the optometrist might disregard it. But seeing your prescription, that gives me hope :)

To be honest, I really don't mind having to wear glasses. I actually think I look better with them on, but I don't think that that's a good reason to get them.

My brother just came home from work and I told him that I was using his glasses and they helped, and he wanted to try them on again. He finally realized that they help him too, so he's using them now. I'm obviously fine with that, seeing as they're his glasses anyway. But I find it funny now that since I'm not wearing them, I'm actually struggling to see what I'm typing, because everything is so blurry and not in focus.

Again, thank you so much for the reply :D

yUbTrollin wrote:

Thank you for the reply, it really helped :)
      I talked to my mom about the problem, and she actually has to get an exam in less than a month anyway, and since I'm insured under her name, I can get an examination where she goes, so I think that part's all cleared up.

I was also worried about the fact that since it feels like such a little difference with and without the glasses, the optometrist might disregard it. But seeing your prescription, that gives me hope :)

To be honest, I really don't mind having to wear glasses. I actually think I look better with them on, but I don't think that that's a good reason to get them.

My brother just came home from work and I told him that I was using his glasses and they helped, and he wanted to try them on again. He finally realized that they help him too, so he's using them now. I'm obviously fine with that, seeing as they're his glasses anyway. But I find it funny now that since I'm not wearing them, I'm actually struggling to see what I'm typing, because everything is so blurry and not in focus.

Again, thank you so much for the reply :D

If you even have a slight prescription, and you tell your optometrist you're concerned about being able to see the board, he'll likely do something about it.

Always happy to help, good luck! :)

Scaredycrow wrote:

If you even have a slight prescription, and you tell your optometrist you're concerned about being able to see the board, he'll likely do something about it.

Always happy to help, good luck! :)

:) Again, thanks a lot! I got my mom and dad to uh... "communicate", unlike they normally do. My mom gave my dad my insurance info and he's going to schedule an appointment.

And I'm very grateful for having the eyesight that I do have and not being almost completely blind, unlike some of my friends who have to wear glasses or else they can barely see anything. It's just the fact that I can't see what I should be seeing. I took my brother's glasses to school today and I realized that it takes off a lot of the strain on my eyes when trying to read what's on the board. So I should be getting an examination soon :p

That's horrible that your dad doesn't want you to have glasses, but your brother can have glasses. I think that you just talk to him about it and tell him that you want to go to the optometrist. If he will not take you, you should try to make an appointment on your own. I don't know if the initial meeting costs money or not, but maybe your mom could help you out with that. But then once you get a test that says you need glasses and show him your prescription, then maybe he will listen to you.

The post was edited 1 time, last by emilyb13 ().