Charter Schools

• Charter Schools

Does anyone here go to a charter school?

I go to one in Ithaca, New York. It's the school's second year (I was there last year as well). I will be the first graduating class next year. I love it, although there are people do try to derail it because they assume it will just be a walk in the park, or they got kicked out of where ever they used to go, etc, and see this as a joke. The majority of the people are fantastic though, and those few people are coming around.

The school focuses on ecological sustainability and social justice through expeditionary learning. It's a New York State Public High School, anyone in the state can attend. Currently out of about 120 students in three grades there are 20 different districts represented. I live nearly an hour from the school and there are others that live even farther.

We still take all the core classes and follow all the NYS curriculum plus the addition course work in those classes for the sustainability and social justice aspects. We spend much of our time in the community be it through classes outsides, classes with local experts, teaching back to the community, or community service.

Those that don't attend one what are your views/questions about a school like this?
    • Re: Charter Schools

Solgave wrote:

Hmm... That sounds intresting. What did you say it is, really? ht is special about it? Do you get something special education after?
      (And high school is from you're 16-18, right?)

It is a New York State Public High School, just as any other high school in New York. The difference is in what is taught and how it is taught. It's not an "alternative" school in the sense that we have special needs or something. It's alternative in the way of think. Rather than sitting in a classroom learning about pollution we go out into the community and do research on topics relevant to current issues. Classes are also taught as systems rather than individual subjects, because in life everything is mixed together its not like you have your math part of the day, then your science, then English and then history, you use all the of those skills and disciplines together.

We do graduate with special diplomas showing that we not only achieved all New York State requirements but also all the ones set for in the charter for the school.

In the U.S. high school is generally from age 14-18. Then you go to college/university.
    • Re: Charter Schools

Solgave wrote:

Some kind of a montessori school?
      In fact, it sounds more fun/intresting than a regular High School with all theoretical subjects. Schoolds should be more like that! :)

Not really montessori, kinda the same vein.

Have a look at the schools site.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Aleksandr wrote:

Like a magnet school? I was in one until 9th grade.

Bit different than that too. This school is open to anyone in the state, no entrance exams or anything, and it is defined by a charter, therefore it is a charter school. There isn't specialization in one subject as much as it is just more aware teaching, although sustainability does play a large role as it does throughout Ithaca.