Can terrorism EVER be justified?

• Can terrorism EVER be justified?

What do you think?

In a modern, western nation, one will take the view that it shouldn't, as in our country, we have a democracy.

However in these third world un-democratic countries, from an outsiders perspective, we see the terrorism as bad. However for the people committing the acts, sometime their aim isn't to kill people, but to get attention to their plight. They can't go to a local representative and say their grievances. They don't have freedom of speech.
    • Re: Can terrorism EVER be justified?

Yes.

Such acts as the Boston Tea Party were terrorist acts, Americans just don't see it that way. Looking at it abstractly, there's not much difference between spilling tea in the 17th century to show your displeasure towards an oppressive foreign influence and spilling oil in the 21st century for the same reason.

I think terrorism is a necessary tactic for a small force hoping to repel a much larger one. I don't agree with the motives behind modern terror attacks, towards Americans or otherwise, but that doesn't mean that their tactics are inherently evil; they are the same ones that we utilized to earn our freedom from the British Empire. To cry foul would be amazingly hypocritical on our part.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Yes I think it can be justified . . . it is def. a decision to not take lightly and takes a lot of time to think over and think of the causes and effects of the act, BUT I think it can be done. It's a very fine line but I believe someone can make it :p
      . . . tramlaw ni xes gnivah ekil stI :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dr.Carter wrote:

Yes.

Such acts as the Boston Tea Party were terrorist acts, Americans just don't see it that way. Looking at it abstractly, there's not much difference between spilling tea in the 17th century to show your displeasure towards an oppressive foreign influence and spilling oil in the 21st century for the same reason.

I think terrorism is a necessary tactic for a small force hoping to repel a much larger one. I don't agree with the motives behind modern terror attacks, towards Americans or otherwise, but that doesn't mean that their tactics are inherently evil; they are the same ones that we utilized to earn our freedom from the British Empire. To cry foul would be amazingly hypocritical on our part.

Boston Tea Party wasn't a terrorist act. The British were actually demanding that we pay taxes to them. How many people were killed in the Boston Tea Party?
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

Aleksandr wrote:

Boston Tea Party wasn't a terrorist act. The British were actually demanding that we pay taxes to them. How many people were killed in the Boston Tea Party?

I agree with this. Terrorism require terror. The Sons of Liberty weren't saying "TAKE THIS FUCKING TEA BACK OR WE'LL BLOW YOUR DAMN HEADS OFF." They merely spilled about $3 million worth of tea into the harbor to show that they weren't going to pay taxes on the tea. It was much more of an economic issue than a terrorist one. The British surely weren't terrified, because all they did in response was pass the Coercive Acts, not scream like little children.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

Aleksandr wrote:

Terror acts aren't required to result in the death of someone. It wasn't a terror attack in the strictest sense, but the motives are the same. We had no major advantage to spilling all that tea, it was entirely a show of our displeasure. We were pissed off, and we showed it through financial sabotage, which is a commonly utilized subset of terrorists.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

artizhay wrote:

I agree with this. Terrorism require terror. The Sons of Liberty weren't saying "TAKE THIS FUCKING TEA BACK OR WE'LL BLOW YOUR DAMN HEADS OFF." They merely spilled about $3 million worth of tea into the harbor to show that they weren't going to pay taxes on the tea. It was much more of an economic issue than a terrorist one. The British surely weren't terrified, because all they did in response was pass the Coercive Acts, not scream like little children.

Are you suggesting that economic terrorism does not exist, much less isn't prevalent in modern times? Terrorism comes in all types of flavors, not just radical Islam. There are even tree hugging hippies that turn to terrorism, or eco-terrorists. They destroy equipment to show the major corporations they aren't fucking around, however, they usually don't kill people.

so they should fight their own governments to have the freedom. They shouldn't attack us. the other fact is that their motivation isnt political as you portray. most terrorists are radical islamists bent on destroying the infidel. And i'm not talking about Muslims. most of them are peaceful and love the way they can live their religion freely. Its the violent Jihadists that are the problem. So no, terrorism is not justifiable under any circumstances.

Sharxbyte wrote:

so they should fight their own governments to have the freedom. They shouldn't attack us. the other fact is that their motivation isnt political as you portray. most terrorists are radical islamists bent on destroying the infidel. And i'm not talking about Muslims. most of them are peaceful and love the way they can live their religion freely. Its the violent Jihadists that are the problem. So no, terrorism is not justifiable under any circumstances.

Radical Islam terrorist groups don't want freedom and democracy, they want us to get the fuck out of their lands, and rightfully so. There's no power structure that they seek to overthrow in order to implement a new system of government to improve social welfare. Terrorism and guerilla warfare are the two most effective tools a small resistance force has against an "invading army" (we might call it that, but you'd be surprised how many would), and these radical Islam groups know that largely because we (the CIA) taught them. If it kept the Soviets out in the 80's, you think they'll try and keep us out with those same tactics? Of course!

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have had our fingers in the Middle Eastern metaphorical pie for the last 60+ years, and they wouldn't be resistant to our influence because we would mind our own fucking business. It saddens me how many American lives have been lost towards a conflict of this nature.

There are quite a few terrorist attacks that are often known as something else. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were essentially acts of terror. The bombs themselves were weak in comparison to nuclear weapons of today, but they still had a tremendous psychological influence which the US government used to their advantage. Think about it...one bomb could do as much damage as a fleet of planes dropping thousands of smaller bombs, and they knew they could scare Japan into surrendering and troll the Soviets all in one go.

Very good question.

As the saying goes: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." Not to mention that symbols for peace such as Nelson Mandela were once terrorists themselves.

Nobody likes terrorism. It's not the way things should be done, because it is inherently uncommunicative and, like warfare in general, whitewashes opponents as the 'Other Side' rather than as human beings who see things differently. I would always support non-violent means of protest such as those espoused by Martin Luther King or Ghandi, but I can understand why many terrorists do what they do, under such oppressive circumstances.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Deadmau5 wrote:

There are quite a few terrorist attacks that are often known as something else. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were essentially acts of terror. The bombs themselves were weak in comparison to nuclear weapons of today, but they still had a tremendous psychological influence which the US government used to their advantage. Think about it...one bomb could do as much damage as a fleet of planes dropping thousands of smaller bombs, and they knew they could scare Japan into surrendering and troll the Soviets all in one go.

I just have to mention this... pearl harbor was terrorism as well no?
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

i dont think it can be justified, like all i have to do is look at the troubles in northern ireland, like for 2-3 decades the IRA bombed and fought with the english and killed innocent people, like they were fighting because they wanted a free 32 county ireland but the fact was that wasnt possible, if britain freed the north then there would be dissident loyalists fighting with the irish, soo why bother fighting, like i would love a free ireland, but its not going to happen, we were lucky enough to get the republic, its just a bit of land, are peoples lives really worth a piece of land?? i dont think soo.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Esmo wrote:

As the saying goes: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." Not to mention that symbols for peace such as Nelson Mandela were once terrorists themselves.

exactly, like can a person truely justify it? the people fighting think they are doing it for the good of man kind and their people, against what may be an oppressive regime, but then the people that they are fighting against will see them as terrorist and barbarians. i think a line somewhere down the middle would need to be reached

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Deadmau5 wrote:

well yes it could, but the americans decided to drop the atomic bomb because they felt the loss of life would be much greater if they entered into japan to fight, like the loss of life in the japanese held islands were tremendous and they were only a handful of soldiers on both sides. like by dropping the bombs, they felt they were being more humane because the loss of life could have tripled if they invaded. and it brought the surrender of japan and the end of the war swiftly to an end.
      People think the Irish are a bunch of drunks and brawlers, and that makes us soo mad sometimes that we just want to get drunk and punch somebody.

kopite wrote:

i dont think it can be justified, like all i have to do is look at the troubles in northern ireland, like for 2-3 decades the IRA bombed and fought with the english and killed innocent people, like they were fighting because they wanted a free 32 county ireland but the fact was that wasnt possible, if britain freed the north then there would be dissident loyalists fighting with the irish, soo why bother fighting, like i would love a free ireland, but its not going to happen, we were lucky enough to get the republic, its just a bit of land, are peoples lives really worth a piece of land?? i dont think soo.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

exactly, like can a person truely justify it? the people fighting think they are doing it for the good of man kind and their people, against what may be an oppressive regime, but then the people that they are fighting against will see them as terrorist and barbarians. i think a line somewhere down the middle would need to be reached

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

well yes it could, but the americans decided to drop the atomic bomb because they felt the loss of life would be much greater if they entered into japan to fight, like the loss of life in the japanese held islands were tremendous and they were only a handful of soldiers on both sides. like by dropping the bombs, they felt they were being more humane because the loss of life could have tripled if they invaded. and it brought the surrender of japan and the end of the war swiftly to an end.

Terrorism against a Fascist government is perfectly justifiable.. As long as the terror is aimed towards government officials, and not the people..

Fear is a powerful weapon..
      "I'm gods lonely man"

Treebark2268 wrote:

Terrorism against a Fascist government is perfectly justifiable.. As long as the terror is aimed towards government officials, and not the people..

Fear is a powerful weapon..

oh i agree 100%. if there is tyranny and something can be done to stop it then they should do it. if it benefits the safety of mankind then it should be done. but terrorism should not directly attack innocent lives. like 9/11 was not justifiable. the bombings in london were not justifiable.
      People think the Irish are a bunch of drunks and brawlers, and that makes us soo mad sometimes that we just want to get drunk and punch somebody.

kopite wrote:

oh i agree 100%. if there is tyranny and something can be done to stop it then they should do it. if it benefits the safety of mankind then it should be done. but terrorism should not directly attack innocent lives. like 9/11 was not justifiable. the bombings in london were not justifiable.

Is this justifiable?

[ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIX1CP9qr4']YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]But if God gains people through MY LIES, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? :cool: - Paul: Romans 3.7[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1]What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in FALSEHOOD or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? :wink: Paul. -Phil. 1:18[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

Terrorism isn't just the acts we see on the news or hear about on the radio, it happens all the time. Governments use it to get what they want without us even thinking about it. Blowing up a building is an extreme form of terrorism. Terrorism is simply putting the fear of something in to someone/an entire country, for any gain whatsoever.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4] I Love You Cassie<3
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]