Newb with relationships

• Newb with relationships

Okay, well first of all, I'll tell you the truth. I'm a bit of a hardcore Asian Junior in high school. I get all As and I'm in the IB program. I've been trained for IVY-league schools since my birth. There's this one girl I've been good friends with for like a year now. We're in all of the same classes, and hang out occasionally.

I know that she's liked me for a while now, and I kinda like her as well, but I've already told her I'd rather have a friendship, because I don't want to end up being awkward towards her if it doesn't work out, and the way I was raised, it would distract me from my goals.

Lately, she's been saying that I've been leading her on, and I guess I have, in a way.
      It might be considered flirting a little, but it's barely anything. She's really pretty and awesome with physics, and I'm really conflicted with what to do.

Should I go out with her, or should we remain good friends?
      I really don't think I would be able to focus on college 100% thinking about such things. I just don't know anymore.
    • Re: Newb with relationships

Im kinda on the fence here.
      I see where you are coming from, especially considering that you dont choose either from a girl who is the "one and only" and your future...
      although pursuing this girl is not logical per say BUT i dont see how it could hurt.
      You can give it a shot letting her know that you dont know how it will work time management wise and if she wants to try you would be more than happy to, but if she has to see you everyday and spend 26 our of 24 hours talking to you on the phone then you would rather stay friends (not in that manner of course, just pointing out the ...points). It won't hurt to give it a shot, if it doesnt work out, you guys can both agree to either wait and see what happens later or just break up and stay friends. This is not a life altering decision.
      The King of Mind-Fuck

DeamonD wrote:

Im kinda on the fence here.
      I see where you are coming from, especially considering that you dont choose either from a girl who is the "one and only" and your future...
      although pursuing this girl is not logical per say BUT i dont see how it could hurt.
      You can give it a shot letting her know that you dont know how it will work time management wise and if she wants to try you would be more than happy to, but if she has to see you everyday and spend 26 our of 24 hours talking to you on the phone then you would rather stay friends (not in that manner of course, just pointing out the ...points). It won't hurt to give it a shot, if it doesnt work out, you guys can both agree to either wait and see what happens later or just break up and stay friends. This is not a life altering decision.

I think you know exactly what I'm saying.
      Like, I wouldn't be able to spend like any time with her.
      But, yeah. I see what you guys are all saying.
      I guess I'll tell her how I feel.
      Thanks for your help.

Tell her how you feel but make sure you qualify your previous statements so you don't act like you're ignoring the fact you told her you want to be friends. Let her know that you're aware you said you wanted to be friends, but you've developed an attraction because of her intellect and skills, as well as her beauty. Don't just say, "Oh, hey, I like you now." That shows signs of indecisiveness and confusion.

She may not want to be more than friends since you already said you didn't want to, so she got in the mindset that she would never date you. Or she could be elated that you're finally revealing your feelings for her. However, it will most likely result in the latter.

FallenAngel wrote:

I get annoyed with people who are that greedy/self-conscious about their grades, especially when they get A's like, all the time.

Some people want to go above and beyond the accomplishments of average people. The IB program is rather prestigious and can land you loads of scholarships and college offers.

Focusing on school, that thing that sort of gives you the tools for life, isn't greedy at all. And being self-conscious would be him saying he was concerned he might perform poorly even though he's making exquisite grades. He never said that. He said he wanted to focus on school, which is perfectly fine.

Do not tear down someone's success.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

Am I not allowed to express my opinion without someone automatically assuming I'm trying to be offensive? lol.

Some people want to go above and beyond the accomplishments of average people. The IB program is rather prestigious and can land you loads of scholarships and college offers.
      So? I didn't say anything against that. And does that mean you're calling me average?

Focusing on school, that thing that sort of gives you the tools for life, isn't greedy at all.
      Yes...and I have no problem with that. But I'm talking about other shit. So yes it is greedy if you care about school SO much that you don't care about your health, your social life, etc.

For example I know this Asian guy in California who thought people who didn't come to school when they were contagiously sick were stupid and didn't care about their grades. I think that's ludicrous. If someone comes to school with the flu just because of 'their grades' yes that is greedy. First off, thanks for spreading your germs. Second, it's common sense and logical that your energy decreases when you're putting your body to work. So, coming to school will not make you recover quicker. Missing a day or two of high school because you are sick is not the end of the damn world.

I know people who balance school, a partner and a job. But if you go so much as to say "I'm worried it will distract me from my grades" when you are an intelligent student who is CAPABLE, that is greedy.

BTW I'm not saying the OP is like that regarding health issues, but if he's so worried as to not involve a girl he likes into his life...I mean come on. Live a little, that's all I'm saying.

And being self-conscious would be him saying he was concerned he might perform poorly even though he's making exquisite grades. He never said that. He said he wanted to focus on school, which is perfectly fine.
      Oh didn't he? (Unless you meant something else and I'm misunderstanding.)

I get all As and I'm in the IB program.

I really don't think I would be able to focus on college 100% thinking about such things.
      Who said I was against his success? I'm not stopping him. My comment will obviously not affect him. You're reacting as if I'm talking to you and not the OP.

The post was edited 9 times, last by FallenAngel ().

FallenAngel wrote:

Am I not allowed to express my opinion without someone automatically assuming I'm average and trying to tear down's someone success? What exaggeration is this? It's silly to neg rep me, I wasn't trying to offend him nor was I breaking any forum rules.

Did I say, "Please don't express your opinion here"? I don't believe I did. You expressed your opinion, and now I am expressing my opinion. It's quite the complete opposite of what you're assuming my mindset is. The reputation system is merely in existence as an extension of the ability to post opinions, hence the options to approve or disapprove a post.

FallenAngel wrote:

So? I didn't say anything against that. And does that mean you're calling me average?

No, you're assuming I'm talking about you, just like you assumed I thought you were talking to me in your original post.

FallenAngel wrote:

Yes...and I have no problem with that. But I'm talking about other shit. So yes it is greedy if you care about school SO much that you don't care about your health, your social life, etc.

For example I know this Asian guy in California who thought people who didn't come to school when they were contagiously sick were stupid and didn't care about their grades. I think that's ludicrous. If someone comes to school with the flu just because of 'their grades' yes that is greedy. First off, thanks for spreading your germs. Second, it's common sense and logical that your energy decreases when you're putting your body to work. So, coming to school will not make you recover quicker. Missing a day or two of high school because you are sick is not the end of the damn world.

I know people who balance school, a partner and a job. But if you go so much as to say "I'm worried it will distract me from my grades" when you are an intelligent student who is CAPABLE, that is greedy.

BTW I'm not saying the OP is like that regarding health issues, but if he's so worried as to not involve a girl he likes into his life...I mean come on. Live a little, that's all I'm saying.

Your last sentence effectively refutes your whole argument in the paragraph regarding health, so I will just skip it as if you never said it.

However, as OP has been brought up to believe he needs to perform well in school, that is his current mindset and there is no issue with that. Obviously he hasn't been in many - or any - relationships, so he has no prior knowledge to compare this situation to. Many people have wonderful grades that drop quicker than you can count to ten when they have a partner. OP is concerned about this, and as it is the only knowledge he has on the issue, he wants opinions regarding the subject.

You can't just assume someone will do fantastic in a relationship, especially their first relationship, if they are intelligent. The two things are not even related. He hasn't learned how to balance school and a relationship, so he is skeptical. And if your argument would be, "Well he should live a little and see how it works out," that may jeapordize his grades. You would have no way of knowing because you are not him.

So, to assume this is greedy is completely illogical, or just shows you have a very small vocabulary. He is concerned about the difficulties of managing a relationship while being in school. By adding a relationship to his life, he has to perform well not only in school, but as a boyfriend, and he only knows how to do one of those things. This is not equivalent to greed, unless you've found a new definition.

FallenAngel wrote:

Oh didn't he?

No, he didn't. He said he wants to focus on college. However, he is currently in high school. Therefore, he wants to be able to focus on the future to ensure it is sorted out and he is prepared. There are so many people who don't know what they want to do, and OP does not want to be like those people. That is because it was how he was brought up. You can't blame him for that.

FallenAngel wrote:

Who said I was against his success? I'm not stopping him. My comment will obviously not affect him. You're reacting as if I'm talking to you and not the OP.

How will your comment not affect him? He came here looking for advice so obviously he cares about all the comments he will receive. Calling him greedy or over-concerned is not the way to help him in this situation.

The post was edited 1 time, last by artizhay ().

lol, it's not a big deal. It's a forum, if he takes what I say against him that seriously, then it's his loss. He knows who he is and what people say on a forum should not affect him - only what help he gets should.

I don't see why you felt the need to respond to me like that in the first place.

Also:

You can't just assume someone will do fantastic in a relationship, especially their first relationship, if they are intelligent. The two things are not even related.
      I never implied or said they were correlated/related, so I don't know why you think that.

The post was edited 6 times, last by FallenAngel ().

FallenAngel wrote:

lol, it's not a big deal. It's a forum, if he takes what I say against him that seriously, then it's his loss. He knows who he is and what people say on a forum should not affect him - only what help he gets should.

I don't see why you felt the need to respond to me like that in the first place.

Also:

I never implied or said they were correlated/related, so I don't know why you think that.

That is a very narrow-minded way of thinking. You're basing your thoughts of him based on how you see yourself. You know who you are and forum opinions wouldn't affect you, just like how you are not affected by my opinion of you and that is fine. But you cannot speak for everyone and say that he shouldn't be affected by forum posts.

Some people have no where else to go or don't want to go anywhere other than a forum for help because it's private and secluded from the world, but they still get opinions, thoughts, and advice. Implications of him being greedy and too self-conscious don't relate to his original question, cast a negative shadow over him, and may make him think poorly of himself. You may think he shouldn't take the opinions seriously, and maybe you're right, but he came here regarding an important decision in his life, so you must assume all opinions and statements will affect him in some way.

artizhay wrote:

Tell her how you feel but make sure you qualify your previous statements so you don't act like you're ignoring the fact you told her you want to be friends. Let her know that you're aware you said you wanted to be friends, but you've developed an attraction because of her intellect and skills, as well as her beauty. Don't just say, "Oh, hey, I like you now." That shows signs of indecisiveness and confusion.

She may not want to be more than friends since you already said you didn't want to, so she got in the mindset that she would never date you. Or she could be elated that you're finally revealing your feelings for her. However, it will most likely result in the latter.

Focusing on school, that thing that sort of gives you the tools for life, isn't greedy at all. And being self-conscious would be him saying he was concerned he might perform poorly even though he's making exquisite grades. He never said that. He said he wanted to focus on school, which is perfectly fine.

Thanks so much for the advice. What a wise and insightful person you are! xD
      It's actually quite rare for someone like you to respond to my question - someone who understands my situation and what I'm going through.
      I have to compliment how well you understand others' perspectives.
      I just don't want you guys to go on attacking each other. haha

The post was edited 1 time, last by whattheheck ().