Arkansas school board member says fags should kill themselves

• Arkansas school board member says fags should kill themselves

While schools across the country are taking action against bullying and suicide, a board member of an Arkansas school district is using his Facebook page to encourage "queers" and "fags" to kill themselves.

Clint McCance is a board member in the Midland school district in western Arkansas. Responding to a call to wear purple last Wednesday to support LGBT youth, McCance wrote the following message on his Facebook page: "Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."

Initially, six people "liked" McCance's message. He also received supportive comments, though some challenged his statement. A commenter wrote, "Because hatred is always right." That led McCance to write, "No because being a fag doesn't give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then dont tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. I dont care how people decide to live their lives. They dont bother me if they keep it to thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die. If you arent against it, you might as well be for it."

McCance was again challenged on his statements — and his Christianity. Wrote one commenter: "YOU NEED TO STOP AND THINK FOR A SEC GREAT YOU BIG CHRISTIAN MAN ! SO KEEP ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS TO YOUR SELF YOU DONT WANT PPL TALKIN ABOUT YOUR FAMILY SO DONT TALK BOUT OTHERS."

McCance responded with, "I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off. Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian beliefs. See it infects everyone."

It's not clear if McCance has taken down the thread, since his Facebook page is private — the messages were made available to The Advocate via a forwarded screen capture. The superintendent of the Midland school district was unavailable and a phone call to the principal of the Midland High School was not returned. There was no response to e-mails to the superintendent and to the secretary of the Midland school board.

"Clint McCance has put a face on the hate that devastates our young people," says Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese. "McCance shouldn't be allowed near children, let alone managing their education. We call for his immediate resignation from the school board."

School Official Wants Gays Dead | News Features | The Advocate

Clint McCance, Arkansas School Board Member, Wants 'Fags' To Commit Suicide
    • Re: Arkansas school board member says fags should kill themselves

This threads already been done... but all the same- although I think this guy should be allowed to believe what he wants, I really do not think he should be allowed to express his beliefs in this way considering what he does for a career.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Am I the only one who didn't see the words "gays should all kill themselves" anywhere in that article? Yes, the man clearly hates gays, and is a fundamentalist Christian. He doesn't want to wear purple to remember some of the more recent suicides because he thinks it's wrong to honor them for killing themselves.

I agree with that last bit, actually. People wore purple largely in part of a handful of recent suicides. Do you know how many suicides there are that DON'T become big stories in the media? Were those 5 or 6 students special? Where's the support every other day of the year, and why aren't we focusing on the ones who are still alive and fighting? I don't think it's right to honor those who gave up. Bullying sucks, and I wish no one ever had to feel like they had no other choice but to end it all, but there IS always another choice, and we should be honoring those who stick it out despite how much things suck... But I digress.

Could someone tell me where he says that "fags should kill themselves"? Because I don't see it. The closest he got was admitting that 5 suicides wasn't enough to overly concern him. "The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide," meant, to me, that he felt like it wasn't enough of a pandemic for him, personally, to decide to wear a purple shirt for the cause, not that he was urging them to hold hands and jump off of the Sears Tower in mass suicide.
      [CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see. Laying open the guts of the world and sniffing the entrails, that's what we do.[/FONT][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Giggle Monster ().

breakboy wrote:

"I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die."

That doesn't translate to "they should commit suicide." It's merely another show of the fact that he hates gays, which we have already established.
      [CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see. Laying open the guts of the world and sniffing the entrails, that's what we do.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Doesn't change the fact that he never said that. The title lied to me.

One of the linked articles had the same title, otherwise I would chalk it up to the OP misreading it.

I was curious if I was missing something or if the Huffington Post needs to double-check what they're printing.

Bazinga! wrote:

but all the same- although I think this guy should be allowed to believe what he wants

I see what you're saying there, and agree in the sense that I'm not going to force anyone to believe what I believe. But we have to be careful that thoughts like these don't create a society that is far too permitting of hate.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Giggle Monster wrote:

Am I the only one who didn't see the words "gays should all kill themselves" anywhere in that article? Yes, the man clearly hates gays, and is a fundamentalist Christian.

It's the implied meaning of what he said. If you're so blind you can't see it then maybe you should pay more attention in English at school.

Giggle Monster wrote:

I agree with that last bit, actually. People wore purple largely in part of a handful of recent suicides. Do you know how many suicides there are that DON'T become big stories in the media? Were those 5 or 6 students special? Where's the support every other day of the year, and why aren't we focusing on the ones who are still alive and fighting? I don't think it's right to honor those who gave up. Bullying sucks, and I wish no one ever had to feel like they had no other choice but to end it all, but there IS always another choice, and we should be honoring those who stick it out despite how much things suck... But I digress.

Wow there is so much ignorance in this paragraph. Wear it purple day (which is what it was called in Australia, not sure about elsewhere) Is a awareness event. It's put in place to support queer youth by showing support for them. The idea came about after the alarming number of suicides by Queer teens in such a short time. These tragedies were a catalyst to get the event happening. This event is all about showing support to those who are fighting prejudice and bigotry by showing that not everyone believes they are not worthy.
      Colourful new way to show support for gay, lesbian youth - Local News - News - Wentworth Courier

Giggle Monster wrote:

Could someone tell me where he says that "fags should kill themselves"? Because I don't see it. The closest he got was admitting that 5 suicides wasn't enough to overly concern him. "The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide," meant, to me, that he felt like it wasn't enough of a pandemic for him, personally, to decide to wear a purple shirt for the cause, not that he was urging them to hold hands and jump off of the Sears Tower in mass suicide.

Once again- go beyond just looking at the text as it is bud. Read the intentions behind the prose. Sure it may not exactly say that they should kill themselves, but it certainly says that he supports their death.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

I disagree, Esmo.

If we go that route, anything can be labeled hate speech and our freedoms be limited. The government should not interfere in free thought. As silly as it may be, we should have the right to hate whoever we want. The government has no right to tell us otherwise. Our freedoms extend as far as where the next person's nose begins. So, as long as you aren't going on seek and destroy missions, a person's feelings is their own.
      Sweet dreams.

Ripplemagne wrote:

I disagree, Esmo.

If we go that route, anything can be labeled hate speech and our freedoms be limited. The government should not interfere in free thought. As silly as it may be, we should have the right to hate whoever we want. The government has no right to tell us otherwise. Our freedoms extend as far as where the next person's nose begins. So, as long as you aren't going on seek and destroy missions, a person's feelings is their own.

But people in positions such as this guy should not be permitted to say these things in a public forum. No matter what position you hold in life there are limitations. For example, if you were an employer and were responsible for the welfare of your employees. It would not be acceptable for you to post post messages of hate against a specific sex or a minority religious or ethnic group. He can believe whatever the hell he wants but I don't think he should be responsible for the welfare of hundreds or perhaps thousands of school children whilst publicly saying these things.
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Bazinga! wrote:

It's the implied meaning of what he said. If you're so blind you can't see it then maybe you should pay more attention in English at school.
      No hun, you're just assuming that's what it means. Saying "I'm glad they give each other AIDS and die" isn't the same as saying "They should go stick a gun down their throat and pull the trigger". This is just the same, "Find something he says and make it sound worse" tactic you find on teen forums.

Bazinga! wrote:

Wow there is so much ignorance in this paragraph. Wear it purple day (which is what it was called in Australia, not sure about elsewhere) Is a awareness event. It's put in place to support queer youth by showing support for them. The idea came about after the alarming number of suicides by Queer teens in such a short time. These tragedies were a catalyst to get the event happening. This event is all about showing support to those who are fighting prejudice and bigotry by showing that not everyone believes they are not worthy.

Last time I checked this isn't about a "Wear it purple day" it's about that random day that they decided to wear purple for the gay teens that killed themselves. So you're clearly showing the ignorance you just tried to point out. Also most high school students are followers, they aren't wearing it for the teens they are doing it for their friends and to look cool. If they really cared they'd get out and try to stop other teens from killing themselves instead of faking it afterward.

Bazinga! wrote:

Once again- go beyond just looking at the text as it is bud. Read the intentions behind the prose. Sure it may not exactly say that they should kill themselves, but it certainly says that he supports their death.

Supporting death =/= go kill yourself bud. You don't know his intentions he probably said it so people like you could throw a tantrum like this.

Ripplemagne wrote:

I personally believe academia should be privatized, but yes, being that it's a government institution, he probably shouldn't be saying shit like that. Though, to be fair, it's on his Facebook, which is a personal account.

Regardless of whether or not he works for the government I still don't think he should be doing this in such a position.

And in response to the Facebook issue- Some of his Facebook friends obviously disagreed with him so strongly they sent screenshots of his comments to the media. So they were posted on a public enough forum to offend people.
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

tob5000 wrote:

Last time I checked this isn't about a "Wear it purple day" it's about that random day that they decided to wear purple for the gay teens that killed themselves. So you're clearly showing the ignorance you just tried to point out. Also most high school students are followers, they aren't wearing it for the teens they are doing it for their friends and to look cool. If they really cared they'd get out and try to stop other teens from killing themselves instead of faking it afterward.

Exactly. This wasn't an official thing like your "wear it purple day" sounds like. This was just something that started over Facebook where, in light of a handful of recent suicides, a bunch of teens suddenly cared more than they used to (and probably forgot all about it afterward). It focused on five or six specific teens who had committed suicide, it wasn't really a general support thing. It was to remember those few people, not to support the large amount of gay teens who are still out there. And THAT is what I have a problem with.