"The Good Friend Zone"

• "The Good Friend Zone"

Last year I had to write a narrative for my English class about a time where I was in love or thought I was in love. I haven't really gone back to revise it since then, so there might be some mistakes here and there (like switching back and forth between present and past tense :P ) but it got my a 95 so it can't be that bad. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

What was it that drew me to her? Like a moth to a flame? Well, I’m not suggesting that she was deadly, but she definitely had a certain glow to her. Her mere presence seemed to light up a room. I was young, and I probably hadn’t the slightest idea of love, but what I was feeling at that time must have been something close to it. Maybe it was her long black hair that attracted me. Or her eyes that seemed ablaze with the ferocity of a tiger, maybe even her warm smile like that glowed like fireflies. However, I believe that it was her personality above all else. Her personality was electric. It shocked you awake, and zapped you if you weren’t prepared. When you combined these traits, you had, in my opinion, a perfect girl. Everything was perfect, mostly perfect. We, or rather, I was stuck in the “Good Friend” zone, and I had no way of escaping it.

It was the beginning the of the October of my 8th grade year. October to me wasn’t a particularly wonderful month, because the seasonal air had a certain mysterious feeling to it. The kind that fills your lungs, and in that one deep breath, leaves you anticipating something. Like any typical school morning, I arrived early and made my way to the regular table to hangout. Mingling amongst my friends, I noticed her arriving through the school gates. I wondered to myself if she had an orchestra traveling behind her in the shadows to play thematic entrance music, because at that moment, it was exactly what I was hearing. She had a way of drawing attention towards herself. She didn’t steal attention, like an envious Kanye West at a music video awards show. The way she did it was as if your aura was magnetically attracted to everyone around you.

“Good Morning!” she chimed to me, in her usual upbeat way.

Her voice snapped me out of my mid-trance and I quickly responded, “Oh, hey” in a way that could possibly be interpreted as cool and relaxed. I was never one of those dorky, stuttering messes in front of a girl, and wit her, it was no different. After the standard greetings, the bell rang and it was off to class.

1st and 2nd period rolled by at their usual slow pace. The sound of the bells distinct ringing signaled. the beginning of break. I stepped out of the classroom, greeted by a large blinding ray of sunlight, only for it to vanish behind a cover clouds. Slightly disappointed, I made my way back to the table. I noticed her sitting there with your friends talking about glitter or lip gloss or whatever girls talk about amongst themselves. Getting ready to approach her, I noticed her staring at someone sitting at one of the adjacent tables. I thought little of it as I sat down. She turned around and greeted me with one of her electric smiles and then turned to her friend to whisper something to her. I played it cool and I looked off to no place in particular while trying to hear what she was talking about. I had a feeling it wasn’t about me, because knowing her, if she had something to say about me, she would say it to me without hesitation. I didn’t really make out anything intelligible, so I decided to be as casual as possible and ask

“Talking about how gorgeous I look again?”.

She and her friend stared at me for a quick second as if I had told an ethnic joke at the NAACP Convention, and then laughed. Great, I made them laugh, even though I was only half joking.

Now it’s lunch and I’m sitting at our regular table with our other friends talking about whatever came to mind. I felt that I had mustered up enough courage to find out her feelings, and, being a man of tact and reasoning, I began to direct the conversation towards the subject of relationships and crushes. One by one we mentioned old crushes from elementary school to avoid having to discuss the present ones. When it was her turn, she got quiet for a second, then in a slightly nervous tone, told us that there was someone she liked now. My heart began to pound in my chest as I waited to hear the name--my name.

She stammered “Well, I…like…I like‘______’”.

What? Maybe I didn’t hear that right.

“Who?” I ask, fighting to mask the eagerness in my voice. Again she repeats the name, and suddenly, everything around me seems to fade out of existence, and I suddenly feel all alone. The name was not mine.

I struggled to keep my composure and contain the shock that was probably all over my face. I quickly made an excuse to leave, and hurried to the restroom. My heart felt like lead as I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror. A million questions were running through my mind, and I couldn’t think straight. I splashed my face with water to keep myself together and I returned outside. I could see my her and my friends at the table still, and they seemed to be talking about something completely different. That was fine by me, I didn’t want to go back there, I don’t think I could handle it.

That same day after school, I lay in my bed, sorting things out with myself. I felt disappointed and angry at myself. I had plenty of time to confess to her before today, and now, it felt as if there was no point. Doubtful me began to win my mind over with thoughts of rejection.

“Don't bother! She's just going to turn you down!”.

However, Optimistic me reminded me of one key point, “That guy she mentioned, he has a girlfriend, and she knows it!”.

I stopped mid-thought and sprang out of bed. “Of course!” I thought. "I was too busy wallowing in my sorrow to realize that she liked him despite knowing that he was in a relationship!” With this new revelation in mind, and a sudden burst of courage, I hopped online to talk to her.

As I logged onto my favorite social networking site, I scrolled through the list of my added friends, hoping she was online. As I scrolled across her name, I paused for a moment as the screen displayed that she was offline. I knew that she would read it tonight, if not tomorrow morning, so I decided to begin my message. I didn’t know where to start, an 8th grader isn’t exactly Romeo when it comes to confessions, but by putting all my thoughts and emotions into the message, she would hopefully understand my feelings.

The next day seemed to drag on forever, and I didn’t get much sleep the night before due to my impatient self constantly checking to see if she replied. Being around her now gave me mixed feelings of fear and hope, and I could hardly take it. I seemed to avoid her at all costs, just to make the day go by a little more smoothly. After what seemed like an eternity of school, I raced home to see if she replied to my message. With fear and anticipation coursing through my veins, I opened my inbox. In it was one new message from her. I stared at it for a good five minutes, knowing that after I click the message, things would not be the same. I closed my eyes, clicked the mouse, and hoped for the best, but prepared for the worst. I slowly opened my eyes and began reading her message.

I was glad I prepared for the worst.

I read the message. I read it twice, thrice, and whatever the word for four times is. I understood exactly what she was saying, and of course I didn’t want to believe it, yet I still felt utterly dejected. I tried to toughen up, saying things like “Ah well, I saw that coming.” or “No biggie, at least we’re still good…” I couldn't even say that word, my lips would not allow me to form that word. The f-word that can stir up such wonderful and bitter feelings in me all at the same time. I didn’t want to even read that word. With anger and frustration, I furiously shut down the computer, jumped on my bed, and closed my eyes.

I awoke early in the morning the next day. Yesterday was a blur to me and I couldn’t really remember much of the day. I got ready like I did every morning, only every movement of mine felt slower, as if the weight of what had learned was dragging me down. I wanted to escape, from where I didn’t know. Escape from having to face her today? Or from life itself? I quickly pushed those thoughts to the back of my head to worry about later, and left for school.

When I arrived to school, there was hardly a soul around. I wasn’t sure if I just showed up too early. If so, then for what reason? Despite any known effort, I knew that I could do nothing to delay the inevitable. Within the hour, she would walk through those gates and see me; after that, I did not know what would happen. The weather was getting colder, and more leaves began assuming their autumnal forms; it could have been interpreted as an ominous message. Several minutes passed and the dreaded moment arrived. She arrived like a lamb--being chased down by a lion. The thematic music signaled her entrance, and with a song that could be described as the Jaws soundtrack meets Cinderella, she was there.

As she approached me, the tension in the air grew so thick, it could have been cut by a 2x4. She immediately flashed her signature smile, possibly as a way to insure me that she meant no harm.

“Good morning!” she said in her upbeat voice, to which I could only reply with a small “Hey”.

A gust of wind blew, stirring several leaves.

“So…” I began.

She interrupted. “I really don’t know what I’m going to do anymore.”

“Huh?” I replied.

“Sometimes I want to just freeze time and think about life.”

I said nothing, not really understanding.

She continued, “As of now I don’t like you as more than a good friend, you know I can't lie to you.”

I smiled, and she smiled, and I asked her “So, have you told him how you feel?”.

She replied “No, and I know I will, I’m just confused. Why does it matter to you, though?”

I laughed, and I don’t even know what was particularly funny, and it wasn’t a guffaw, but it certainly wasn’t a chuckle, but it was a the most natural laugh I had ever laughed. Composing myself, I looked straight into those fierce onyx eyes of hers, still burning bright despite the chilly October weather, and I answered,

“Because I'm a ‘Good Friend’”.

Krasseevaya;2715094 wrote:

[CENTER][SIZE=3]I kissed my best friend.[/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]But she was high, and I just wanted to see if she tasted like chocolate cake.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    • Re: "The Good Friend Zone"

I loved it. I read through it twice and I'm going to have my best friend turned boyfriend turned fiancee read it tonight. He will appreciate it even more than I do, I left him in "The Good Friend Zone" all through middle school and through most of high school.

Very, very well written.