Should I break up with him?

• Should I break up with him?

Okay, so I started going out with this guy I met at the community college we both go to. I'm 18, he's 25. My therapist has said that that age gap is weird and he was only in it for sex. So anyway we started going out, i didn't put out right away, and he kept coming to see me and take me out on dates even though we live like 45 minutes apart, so I thought he must have some good in him if he's not getting anyway and putting forth this much effort.

So we've been together for like a little over a month now, and we got in our first fight last week about how he takes forever to do stuff and is always late. He was going to come spend the night at my house after being at the hospital since it's close to my place. Not to mention he was at the hospital because his infant son got a high fever when the baby was with the mom. Either way, he says he'll be here soon, and I wait up for him at like 4 am for an hour, so I just got annoyed and was like what the hell it doesn't take this long to get here, and he just snapped and said fine I'll sleep in my car. Last I heard from him until the next day when he finally talks to me on facebook late in the evening. He comes to my house, we work it out, I apologize for being impatient.

That last time we made up was the last time ive spoken to him in person. Since then all week we've talked on the phone once for like 5 minutes. He said he got off class at 9:30 p.m. and we could hang out then. so I call him at like 9:40, no answer, 9:50, no answer, 10:00, no answer. I texted him saying I know you hate being on the phone and I'm sorry for calling you so many times but why are you ignoring me?

That's the last thing I've said to him. Before, when we had that fight, he did the same thing, he just ignored me. But this time around nothing bad had happened. I feel like he's just uninterested or there's another girl. I really don't want to break up with him but if this is going to be a cycle I don't think I can deal with it. Before all this, we used to text and talk on the phone allll day. Then it just stopped.

Please tell me what you think :(
    • Re: Should I break up with him?

dont mean to be rude but he's got the responsibility of taking care of his son, I think the mother has joint custody, so I guess he is very worried about his infant son, takes a lot out of a guy when his children gets sick and all, and I dont know the whole story but sounds to me he and the mother of child got closer after the son got ill?, again its just my view

Well, all my warning flags when up immediately at the mention of 'infant son'. The idea that he's 25 years old and has a kid with a woman that he wasn't capable of making a relationship work with a whole nine months down the road suggests all kind of potential commitment and responsibility issues.

Is it possible he could still be an okay guy? Yeah, sure, but the way he went from being seemingly happy with you to shutting you out the moment you dared to get upset with him give me a pretty good idea of why he isn't with the mother of his child anymore. "You upset me so I'm not going to throw a tantrum and not talk to you." isn't the kind of reaction a reliable and/or stable person makes. Sure he had a lot on his mind that night his son was in the hospital, but there's still no reason he couldn't have been considerate and called you to say he was going to be late, and there's no reason he should have thrown a tantrum and threatened to sleep in the car just because you got upset about it.

First off, what the hell is your therapist talking about? Have you guys even slept together yet?

Secondly, he has responsibilities too. Don't be a clingy girlfriend, especially when he is trying to be a responsible father. That's selfish of you. Let him come to you, you know? When he's not busy I'm sure he'll call. Sometimes things just come up.

JJ279 wrote:

Probably is worried about his son. Dont annoy him is what i suggest and let him work it out. Although the whole 25 with a kid and not married to mother does show a committment issue.

or that the mother was terrible or that he accidentally got her pregnant and is just doing the right thing now.

im not sure why you would wanna be dating this guy in the first place, because you realise he is always gonna put his son before you, so I just wouldnt really bother, you are both in different places in your lives, and it just doesnt seem like a good idea to me.
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

I totally 100 percent realize that he has to put his son first. I came to terms with that before anything got shaky.

his son had an abnormally high fever and is totally fine now. I was actually with him when he got the call that his son was sick and tried to be as supportive as possible, i.e. letting him stay at my place so he didn't have to drive for half an hour back to his house after being in an ER for hours on end. I understand he's a busy guy, but he doesn't ever do me the courtesy of telling me what's going on, and when I ask, he says nothing.

So what I'm thinking is you should just talk to him about this issue about not talking. Because you never know, he may be having some issues he's not talking about which is causing him not to talk to you right now. You never know. Tell him he needs to open up more, and start telling you what's going on in his life and keep you updated, or things aren't going to work. Basically tell him what you told us, you can't do this cycle he's been going through because you can't handle it. Tell him you respect certain things, like his son, and if he has issues, but it's easier to deal with them if you know what they are and you're not just out of the loop. Not knowing is what is making it harder.

So talk to him about that. Send him a text saying "we need to talk, so whenever you get a chance please call" and then tell him what's been going through your mind, and see if he's willing to work things out. If not...if you can't deal with it you can't deal with it.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Dude. Break up.
      Neither of you are good for each other in a long term relationship, and you can bet your tits a "fun fling" with a 25 year old father isn't going to end well.
      So.

Just cut it off clean, chalk it up to a lesson learned, and move on.
      You'll find a better situation waiting.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]

If I were you, I would probably break up with him.

It somehow seems that he's not your ideal type; apart from these recent problems that you've had with him, my slightest evidence is the weird age gap which amazed your therapist as well.

By the way, you should be careful since lingering might make this case worse. Take a proper and logical decision and act quickly toward it.

GOOD LUCK!
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

.:.:. [SIZE=4]Never Stand Begging For What You Have The Power To Earn[/SIZE] .:.:.
      [/CENTER]