Should parents steal their kids' Facebook passwords?

• Should parents steal their kids' Facebook passwords?

That's what one police officer from New Jersey is suggesting. Link to article:

Cop: parents should steal their kids’ Facebook passwords | ZDNet

Article wrote:

Some parents are friends with their children on Facebook so they can keep an eye on things. Those that aren’t, however, should hack, steal, or do whatever it takes to get their kids’ Facebook passwords, and they should not feel guilty about it, according to a New Jersey cop.

This mentality has to stop. Living in paranoia is not the answer. Facebook is also not the gateway to doom and death. A reasonable compromise of freedom and monitoring with a child is the best solution, but be open about it. Never go behind your child's back like that. The trust will be destroyed and once that happens, all is lost.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.
    • Re: Should parents steal their kids' Facebook passwords?

Dexter. wrote:

It depends, some kids have to be controlled or they up dead in an alley.

Add a little more substance to your posts, please.

And you honestly think by stealing your kid's passwords and violating their trust it's going to prevent them from ending up dead in an alley? Give me a break.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Dexter. wrote:

I remember being a kid, and I remember that some do very stupid things behind their parent's back that could possibly end very badly.

I was also a kid. I also did stupid things. I also didn't end up dead in an alley. I also had parents who raised me properly. I also had parents who established a reasonable level of trust and didn't go behind my back and violate my privacy.

Those were good times.
      - George Carlin

No just no.. Facebook is not as bad as they make it out to be. By doing this the parents will violate their childs trust and even stunt their growth emotionally because they are not making the mistakes that we all have to make so we can learn from them. I think its up to the parent whether they want to put like parental blocks on some sites that would be deemed inappropriate for their children but other than that the child should be free to explore things, it makes us who we are as a person from the freedom we should get as a teen. Parents should be able to trust their kids to make the right decisions. If they cant do that then they should add them as friends on Facebook so they can monitor them that way.
      People think the Irish are a bunch of drunks and brawlers, and that makes us soo mad sometimes that we just want to get drunk and punch somebody.

Nope, they shouldn't.

Examples from life:

1. I trust my parents. And they trust me. I'm not friends with my dad on facebook and my mam doesn't have one, and when I had bebo, neither of them had that. With both of those though, I was friends with my brothers. And my mam "checked up on me" through them and vice versa, but didn't keep it a secret. She mainly joked about it. But it was a way she could know I wasn't being stupid, but still respecting my privacy to enough of a degree that she let me know if she was ever going to look at things. I never put anything up on those sites I didn't want people to see, and I've been brought up rather well. It's not like I'm in some terrifying fake family who are all lovey all the time either, we fight a good bit, but we all do honestly trust each other.

2. A very close friend of mine has a very overprotective mother. She wasn't allowed to have a bebo as a young teenager when the rest of our friends did, and she's supposedly not allowed have facebook now. She got them anyway, but kept them super secret, and was always scared and paranoid about it. Her mother has made false accounts on both and gone behind her back to various friends and their parents trying to find out information about her accounts and what she has on them. She's made other people she knows add her as a friend, etc..... and she's ended up with a daughter who's afraid of her, doesn't trust her, lives 3,000 miles away from her on her own and has done so since she was 14/15, and doesn't see her as a mother figure. Now, I love the girl, and she's turned out pretty ok and is a lovely girl... But she had no dad growing up, and her mam didn't do a good job as a mam. She's a bit messed up, she's fairly uneducated, she's not happy, and she's afraid to talk to her one parent about how she feels.

I know which person I'd rather be.

Not going to generalise and say all people are like this and it's a concrete thing that can be only two ways, because that's just not true. These things are individual to each person and each family, etc. But I'd rather have parents I can trust than someone who keeps me on edge and scared all the time about ridiculous things. Especially if I'm not even doing anything wrong.

So yeah, parents stealing their kids' passwords and invading their privacy is just ridiculous. Sure, you can say that it's "for their own safety", but if you've brought your kids up right, they'll know what's safe and what's not. And if they trust you, they will come to you if they're suspicious about or scared of something/someone they see on facebook, or anywhere else for that matter.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

Dexter. wrote:

I remember being a kid, and I remember that some do very stupid things behind their parent's back that could possibly end very badly.

Usually you make sense but I've done a lot of stupid shit as well and 90% of the time I ended up in "the alley" just because I knew there was no chance of my parents fucking with me, bitching about something stupid, or most of all invading my privacy.

Trying to be dominant only works for super timid kids and even then they'll probably just be doing shit behind their parents backs, I deliberately did just because I thought my mom was a power tripping bitch and I wanted to show her that if "being immature" "wasn't going to get me anywhere", it wouldn't do her any good either.

[/CENTER]

To be honest, I think it's wrong for a parent to hack their child's facebook account. It's a privacy thing. Besides, sooner or later a parent has to let their child grow up and make their own decisions. It's not like they can monitor who they come into contact with in real life, so why should they try to hinder and monitor their child's activities online?

It's about trust and being mature. Sooner or later a parent just needs to know that their child knows right from wrong.

Yeah, I don't think it's right for parents to invade privacy. After trust is lost the child will just stop using facebook/posting things on it and will still be doing whatever it is they're doing behind their parents back. Hacking their facebook is not going to solve anything or keep their child in line better, it can only lead to worse things.

I for one do not have my parents on facebook. They both have one, but keeping them separate lets them trust me to tell them what I'm up to not them having to snoop in my life via facebook.

Parents should always invade ‘privacy’ of their children, especially if they are underage. Sounds harsh? It hurts your pride?

Yes, it does. I don’t like it either.

But the real question is why they do it. Why?
      I reckon it is because they care. Especially the mothers. Mother’s care is something you won’t understand until you have the young ones yourself.

[It is a call of duty and good will, according to Kant, and a mother (and less caring father too) is supposed to do it whether she likes it or not. <-- this is kind of ethical stuff – just ignore it]

And believe me, once you are capable of living on your own they will be more than happy to let you go (cause you have been invading their privacy for... let say 15 to 20 years). This applies to me too.
      Move out and you will have all the privacy you want and no more ‘controlling’ either.

By the way, you can't handle the truth…I mean privacy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BeThatAsItMay ().

I think the media have made things a tiny bit worse. YES there are peodophiles out there, an ex teacher in my school is one and has just come out of jail this month, he had students added as friends on his Facebook which IS disturbing.

Parents should care and should know a little about what you're doing. But to be obsessed can have a bad affect as Inuit said. I do talk to a lot of different people over the internet, mainly because of the MMORPG i play... I find it awkward to even have a Skype call with an IRL friend, nevermind a RS friend :L My parents will ask me who i'm talking to, and i'll just say a friend and that will be the end of that.
      The World is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity.
      We may rise and fall, but in the end, we'll meet our fate together!
      One. Oh One. The only way is[SIZE=4] ONE.[/SIZE]

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

Parents should always invade ‘privacy’ of their children, especially if they are underage. Sounds harsh? It hurts your pride?

All I know is if someone's child is posting shit they shouldn't online, or talking to someone they shouldn't then

A- They are not even at the mature age to have an online webpage account
      B- The parents obviously didn't give their children proper tips about the online world. THEIR bad.

Samijuana wrote:

All I know is if someone's child is posting shit they shouldn't online, or talking to someone they shouldn't then

A- They are not even at the mature age to have an online webpage account
      B- The parents obviously didn't give their children proper tips about the online world. THEIR bad.

Yes, I agree with A and B, but only in theory. You see, when it comes to practice, the things change.

You may be smart but I bet you have the friends of your age who are so naive and gullible. They are such an easy prey, aren’t they?
      What about the others who are desperate to have friends…at any price. Facebook is excelled chance to have 5,000 strangers signed in as your friends.

But you don’t have to be young and crazy to do stupid things online. There are countless examples of mature people who lost their jobs because they posted their opinions:

Jason Dowling, who worked on the Hinze Dam Project managed by Thiess Pty Ltd, has been stood down after admitting to posting offensive remarks following a tip-off by a member of the public.
      [FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

In addition, a second unidentified employee was also fired and a third tendered his resignation.
      [FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]
      news. ninemsn. com. au /national/8208650/man-sacked-for-racist-slurs-on-facebook

[FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

I used Google to search on the keywords ‘facebook and danger’ and I got about 29,600,000 results (0.06 seconds).

This is one of them.
      [FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

Dangers of Myspace and Facebook is it really a big deal? Well, some users would say no, but for a girl who was found dead a week or 2 ago after meeting with someone off Facebook, it became a grim reality.
      webupon .com/social-networks/are-myspace-and-facebook-a-danger/#ixzz1ECusBRxk

Imagine your parents reading all this. They’ll go bonkers.

Post Sriptum:

Secret Life of Teens (www. washingtonian. com/articles/businesscareers/4938.html)

The post was edited 5 times, last by BeThatAsItMay ().

I say it depends on the kid's age. Young children, like ages 6 to 9 should be supervised, yes. But logging in to your 17 year old's Facebook account to spy on them is a bit ridiculous and unnecessary. As has been previously stated, teenagers are pretty much always going to be smarter than their parents when it comes to the Internet. With excessive spying, they'll just become more and more secretive, and nothing will be prevented.

My oldest sister was supervised strictly by my parents, who always tried to control where she went and what she did with who, but she recently confided to me that even in spite of my mom's psychotic stalking, she'd managed to find a way to hang out with her secret boyfriend for several hours a few times a week. If she'd been the type to do anything "bad", it would've been easy and my mom wouldn't have ever found out.

I'm the same way, but my parents seem to have a gender bias in my favor...they don't ask as many questions about where I'm going or what I'm doing. I could do SOOOOO much shit if I wanted to, but I don't.

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

Yes, it does. I don’t like it either.

But the real question is why they do it. Why?
      I reckon it is because they care. Especially the mothers. Mother’s care is something you won’t understand until you have the young ones yourself.

[It is a call of duty and good will, according to Kant, and a mother (and less caring father too) is supposed to do it whether she likes it or not. <-- this is kind of ethical stuff – just ignore it]

And believe me, once you are capable of living on your own they will be more than happy to let you go (cause you have been invading their privacy for... let say 15 to 20 years). This applies to me too. Move out and you will have all the privacy you want and no more ‘controlling’ either.

By the way, you can't handle the truth…I mean privacy.

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

Yes, I agree with A and B, but only in theory. You see, when it comes to practice, the things change.

You may be smart but I bet you have the friends of your age who are so naive and gullible. They are such an easy prey, aren’t they?
      What about the others who are desperate to have friends…at any price. Facebook is excelled chance to have 5,000 strangers signed in as your friends.

People have been naive and gullible since the dawn of time. Stealing passwords to spy on children won't end it. Also, kids have gone missing because of the Internet long before Facebook or Myspace was ever around.

The reasons kids are abducted from social networking sites is because parents haven't instilled the necessary values and knowledge for them to use critical thinking and recognize that the situation is a danger. Sheltering them from it or spying on them 24/7 isn't going to teach them the knowledge they need.

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

But you don’t have to be young and crazy to do stupid things online. There are countless examples of mature people who lost their jobs because they posted their opinions:

[FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]
      news. ninemsn. com. au /national/8208650/man-sacked-for-racist-slurs-on-facebook

[FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Stay on topic or stop posting.

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

I used Google to search on the keywords ‘facebook and danger’ and I got about 29,600,000 results (0.06 seconds).

This is one of them.
      [FONT=&quot]
      [/FONT]

webupon .com/social-networks/are-myspace-and-facebook-a-danger/#ixzz1ECusBRxk

Imagine your parents reading all this. They’ll go bonkers.

You must be new to Google. You can type in any random words and get millions of results. I typed in "air and danger" and got 78,600,000 results in 0.18 seconds. ZOMG! Air is more dangerous than Facebook! :o

Welcome to the Internet, young Padawan. You obviously have much to learn.

BeThatAsItMay wrote:

Post Sriptum:

Secret Life of Teens (www. washingtonian. com/articles/businesscareers/4938.html)

This is three and a half years old and full of fallacies. Nice try, though.
      - George Carlin

Calvin wrote:

My oldest sister was supervised strictly by my parents, who always tried to control where she went and what she did with who, but she recently confided to me that even in spite of my mom's psychotic stalking, she'd managed to find a way to hang out with her secret boyfriend for several hours a few times a week. If she'd been the type to do anything "bad", it would've been easy and my mom wouldn't have ever found out.

Yeah, I was the same. Three years later, and my parents still think I've never had a boyfriend :)

Though they didn't try to "control" who I was with, just asked a bit and trusted me to be honest about it... I just... wasn't always entirely honest :D

But they made sure I was brought up knowing right from wrong, and knowing the dangers of the world, etc. without being overbearing or overprotective, and I have to say I do think myself and my brothers have turned out quite well because of it.

DamnImGood wrote:

You must be new to Google. You can type in any random words and get millions of results. I typed in "air and danger" and got 78,600,000 results in 0.18 seconds. ZOMG! Air is more dangerous than Facebook! :o

Welcome to the Internet, young Padawan. You obviously have much to learn.

Things like this are the reason TeenHut has to keep telling me to spread reputation before giving it to you again.

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]