OH MY GOD IE9 IS OUT caps

• Re: OH MY GOD IE9 IS OUT caps

DamnImGood wrote:

Huge difference. The two main differences are speed (performance) and standards-compliance. To be fair, if you never use IE then it's not really that exciting. It's only exciting to me because I do web development work and I'd say at least half my development time is spent on making sure shit works in IE.
      I hear you on that. Does IE9 render CSS in compliance with the same methods that Chrome/Firefox use? I usually just make a separate CSS file for IE and let all IE browsers use it. Now I might have to split the CSS between non-IE9 and IE9.

I'm also trying to decide when to upgrade to IE9, as I'm still looking for a way to efficiently test web sites in all versions of IE. I know there are tools that emulate IE5-IE8, but I've tried a handful and none have worked properly. Unless there's a way to install it on a stick, like I mentioned below. I really don't feel like setting up virtual machines for it. >.>

I have visitors using browsers from IE6-IE8. =/ So I feel it's too soon to upgrade to IE9...the way I test right now is use IE8 at home and IE6/IE7 at work because that's the only place I have access to them. Horribly inefficient.

SE7EN wrote:

Copy the browsers program file, such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome (which ever you like using) to a memory stick, and you can use that browser from your stick. That's what I do.
      Do you know if it's possible to install IE onto a stick? I know it's impossible to have multiple versions of IE on the same computer, I guess unless you run a VM, but otherwise, does it let you choose the install location? I haven't messed with IE in so long, I don't know if it lets you choose. I'm pretty sure it doesn't...

This is actually the definition of "Internet Explorer" on Urban Dictionary. xD
      A simple Windows XP tool which allows the user to browse to Mozilla.com and download Firefox, a web browser.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

artizhay wrote:

Do you know if it's possible to install IE onto a stick? I know it's impossible to have multiple versions of IE on the same computer, I guess unless you run a VM, but otherwise, does it let you choose the install location? I haven't messed with IE in so long, I don't know if it lets you choose. I'm pretty sure it doesn't...

I honestly do not know about that, I've never really used IE in that way since IE is on every machine I use.

artizhay wrote:

I hear you on that. Does IE9 render CSS in compliance with the same methods that Chrome/Firefox use? I usually just make a separate CSS file for IE and let all IE browsers use it. Now I might have to split the CSS between non-IE9 and IE9.

IE9 is much more CSS compliant than previous versions, but it's still not as compliant as the rest of the browsers. For example, it now supports border-radius, but doesn't support text-shadow. I would say in most cases though it's on par with the other browsers. Unless you're trying to do some really funky stuff, it will work. Once FF4 is released, all the newest browsers will be pretty much on the same level in terms of CSS compliance (FF3 doesn't support border-radius, and instead relies on a Mozilla-proprietary property -moz-border-radius. This does not validate with W3C of course).

My experience with IE8 isn't that bad. Most (and I use that loosely) work I've done has rendered pretty well in IE8, or at least enough to remain functional. My issues have been with IE6 and IE7. When it comes to those browsers, I use conditional IF statements for selective CSS to make sure things render in those browsers (again, enough to be functional). Once IE9's market share increases, I will be dropping all support for IE6. By then users will be four versions behind. Time to upgrade, dammit. I will be display a banner with links to all the major browsers. Other than that, not wasting my time with IE6 anymore.

artizhay wrote:

I'm also trying to decide when to upgrade to IE9, as I'm still looking for a way to efficiently test web sites in all versions of IE. I know there are tools that emulate IE5-IE8, but I've tried a handful and none have worked properly. Unless there's a way to install it on a stick, like I mentioned below. I really don't feel like setting up virtual machines for it. >.>

I have visitors using browsers from IE6-IE8. =/ So I feel it's too soon to upgrade to IE9...the way I test right now is use IE8 at home and IE6/IE7 at work because that's the only place I have access to them. Horribly inefficient.

At my work they use an application called Xenocode. It simulates all the browsers. They said they haven't had any problems with it. Not sure on its validity myself, though, as it seems to be an outdated and no longer supported piece of software. You can try Googling it though. At home I've upgraded to IE9, so it replaced any previous versions of IE.

My recommendation is this: Stick with IE8 at home for now. Adoption rates of IE9 won't be that fast (if anyone has any preliminary numbers please link them). IE8's compatibility mode renders as IE7, so it's basically two browsers in one. IE9's compatibility mode does the same thing. For IE6, I have a VM running XP. You don't like VMs, but they're useful for this kind of stuff. VirtualBox is not only free, but I actually find its performance to be better than VMware. You should consider it.

artizhay wrote:

I highly doubt it. IE is so integrated into the operating system any kind of customization is pretty much gone. Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are pretty much the same piece of software just with a different skin. There is no choice of install location for any version of IE that I know of.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

Sidewinder wrote:

IE9 is much better then previous versions, and the new interface is great for anyone that loves Chrome's or Firefox 4's UI. Speedtests say that IE9 is faster then everyone else, but I wouldn't been worried about that since Chrome will update at some point and most likely be faster again.

The latest builds of Chromium have been godly, and there's no Google botnet as in the official Google versions :D

Conroe91 wrote:

IE9 is nothing special. Next WinShit app...

"I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

SE7EN wrote:

Gay.

I had a similar experience:

- George Carlin