HDD Bad Sector

• HDD Bad Sector

Let's just say the option of buying a new HDD isn't available. At the moment, I have a laptop HDD that has from what HDD Tune told me, 2 bad sectors. Whatever the issue is with it, it is preventing me from installing Windows XP Professional. Windows 7 Professional installed on it, after 1 minor issue. Although no matter what I do XP installation just loves to BSOD the laptop. I've been looking around to see if there's any solution to this and I know the problem is the hard drive, I was just wondering if there is anyway to rectify a bad sector to at least allow XP to install.
    • Re: HDD Bad Sector

Could you clarify why purchasing a new hard drive is not an option?
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

Because I don't think the person would appreciate buying a new one. I have like 2 other laptop HDDs in laptops that can't even turn on, but at the moment it's too late to even try get them out of their retarded casing to replace this bad sector HDD. I've got two programs I may use tom... Later today, Flobo Hard Disk Repair and HDD Regenerator. Both claim they can repair bad sectors. Just curious if it is possible or if it's just one of those make believe applications.

I don't really know. I usually just replace the hard drive because once you have bad sectors it means there's a problem, and that means the data is at risk. I would honestly just explain to the person that having a drive with bad sectors is a risk, and since it's a laptop that means everything is stored on the one drive. It is highly recommended to replace the drive.

Even if the software can repair the bad sectors, there's a reason they are there in the first place, and more will likely show up. My drive, which I'm about to elude to in the next paragraph, started at 2 and within about two weeks is now at 16 bad sectors.

I'm in a similar situation with my media server; the OS hard drive has bad sectors, and it's getting worse (fucking Seagate drives). The threshold is 36 and the current number of bad sectors is 16. It's only a matter of time before it fails, and then I'm screwed. I have to replace it, but that means redoing a lot of the administration of the server since I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu. I'm hoping it can hold out until the new version which is usually released in April.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

I wouldn't say "this drive has bad sectors," because if the person is a n00b you'll just get a blank stare and "lol wut?" Instead say "I've discovered that this drive is about to fail and when it does, all your shit will be gone forever" :D

Also, ewww Seagate. I bought a Seagate drive a few years ago back before I was aware of them being shit tier, and it runs hot, loud and CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. SSD master race for sure. ^^

DamnImGood wrote:

I don't really know. I usually just replace the hard drive because once you have bad sectors it means there's a problem, and that means the data is at risk. I would honestly just explain to the person that having a drive with bad sectors is a risk, and since it's a laptop that means everything is stored on the one drive. It is highly recommended to replace the drive.

Even if the software can repair the bad sectors, there's a reason they are there in the first place, and more will likely show up. My drive, which I'm about to elude to in the next paragraph, started at 2 and within about two weeks is now at 16 bad sectors.

I'm in a similar situation with my media server; the OS hard drive has bad sectors, and it's getting worse (fucking Seagate drives). The threshold is 36 and the current number of bad sectors is 16. It's only a matter of time before it fails, and then I'm screwed. I have to replace it, but that means redoing a lot of the administration of the server since I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu. I'm hoping it can hold out until the new version which is usually released in April.
      Looks like I'll try replace it then with one of the other HDDs I have then, I'll just be so bummed out if the others have the same issue.

Kevin wrote:

lol..I can imagine Matt saying that

Haha, yeah it is my way of explaining things. :p

SE7EN wrote:

Looks like I'll try replace it then with one of the other HDDs I have then, I'll just be so bummed out if the others have the same issue.

If Windows XP won't install on the other hard drives, then you know it's not because of the bad sectors. Don't be bummed out; you will have just narrowed down the problem.
      - George Carlin

After a few trial and error issues, I've got a small success out of it. All 3 HDDs were unresponsive to 2 copies of XP, reasons are beyond me but all report some sector issues. The Hitachi being the worst since during the error scan process it actually detects more. I decided to swap the HDDs round to see if the original OS's on the spare HDDs work, one does. So that's it.. Tomorrow I'm going to grab my 360 HDD and format it to NTFS and see how the laptop responds to a new HDD, if it's the same problem then these laptops really did get tampered with.

SE7EN wrote:

After a few trial and error issues, I've got a small success out of it. All 3 HDDs were unresponsive to 2 copies of XP, reasons are beyond me but all report some sector issues. The Hitachi being the worst since during the error scan process it actually detects more. I decided to swap the HDDs round to see if the original OS's on the spare HDDs work, one does. So that's it.. Tomorrow I'm going to grab my 360 HDD and format it to NTFS and see how the laptop responds to a new HDD, if it's the same problem then these laptops really did get tampered with.

Don't you sometimes feel like the computer technician equivalent of Gil Grissom? I do.
      - George Carlin