Movies, movies, movies

• Re: Movies, movies, movies

Watched two more tonight.

Straw Dogs was pretty cool :D And put me in the mindset for more psychological thrillers, so I'm currently downloading Perfume, Shutter Island, Ronin, In Dreams, The Talented Mr Ripley, Buried, Harry Brown and Eagle Eye, in the hopes that I get at least one or two good films out of the lot :p And I just watched Hard Candy, which was awesome :D So far most of the films I've watched in this marathon and really loved were ones I watched in the first couple of days, so it's nice to have had District 13, Amélie and Hard Candy in the past three days ^_^

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Updating my list of watched films:

1. Life is Beautiful
      2. Pi
      3. Fight Club
      4. Source Code
      5. Cube
      6. The Mission
      7. Trainspotting
      8. American History X
      9. Let the Right One In
      10. Big Fish
      11. The Untouchables
      12. The Ghost Writer
      13. Rampage
      14. Taking Woodstock
      15. The Pianist
      16. Requiem for a Dream
      17. Aliens
      18. Legend of the Guardians
      19. The Passenger
      20. Interview with the Vampire
      21. An Education
      22. Taxi Driver
      23. Rubber
      24. Lars and the Real Girl
      25. Catch Me If You Can
      26. Never Let Me Go
      27. Thor

28. Banlieue 13
      29. A Simple Plan
      30. The King's Speech
      31. Banlieue 13 Ultimatum
      32. Before Sunrise
      33. Before Sunset
      34. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
      35. The Glass House
      36. A Brief History of Time
      37. Hard Candy

And still on my list of films to watch:

127 Hours
      2001: A Space Odyssey
      21 Grams
      25th Hour
      Amores Perros
      Apocalypse Now
      Apollo 13
      The Aviator
      Battleship Potemkin
      Black Hawk Down
      Black Swan
      Blue Valentine
      Braveheart
      Buried
      Captain Corelli's Mandolin
      Carlito's Way
      Changeling
      Chinatown
      City of God
      Closer
      The Deer Hunter
      The Departed
      Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
      Eagle Eye
      Enemy at the Gates
      Fuck
      Full Metal Jacket
      Gangs of New York
      Gladiator
      The Godfather
      Gone With the Wind
      Goodfellas
      Good Will Hunting
      Gran Torino
      Harry Brown
      The Hurt Locker
      In Dreams
      Inside Man
      The Kite Runner
      La Regle du Jeu
      L'Avventura

Lawrence of Arabia
      M
      Midnight Cowboy
      Mr. Brooks
      Mullholland Drive
      North By Northwest
      On the Waterfront
      One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
      The Painted Veil
      Paths of Glory
      Paul
      Perfume
      Pride and Prejudice
      Public Enemies
      Raging Bull
      Remember the Titans
      Rent
      Rocky
      Ronin
      Saving Private Ryan
      Scarface
      Se7en
      Seven Samurai
      The Seventh Seal
      Shutter Island
      The Silence of the Lambs
      The Sting
      The Talented Mr Ripley
      The Thin Red Line
      Unforgiven
      The Usual Suspects
      V for Vendetta
      Valkyrie
      Vertigo
      The Wrestler
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by RollinRightInuit ().

I must be the only person in the world that thought Hard Candy was crap. It was incredibly boring.

On the plus side, I was very impressed with Eagle Eye. It ranked #2 for me for movies of 2008.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Wow you haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Inside Man, or Valkyrie?

It's time to step up your game, my Irish friend.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

DamnImGood wrote:

I must be the only person in the world that thought Hard Candy was crap. It was incredibly boring.

I don't think I'd quite call it crap, but I'm definitely with you on "incredibly boring." I really did not like it at all.

On the plus side, I was very impressed with Eagle Eye. It ranked #2 for me for movies of 2008.

Wow. Really? Now that was crap, and just everyone involved with the movie agreed on that in hindsight. Disturbia was a much better Hitchcock-knock-off-staring-Shia.

Wow you haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Inside Man, or Valkyrie? It's time to step up your game, my Irish friend.

I'm down with Gladiator and Inside Man. SPR deserves its accolades, but it pales in comparison to Band of Brothers (which is technically a miniseries, but is more like a 10 hour movie). And Valkyrie was just...full of missed opportunities.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

And for the love of God... please... please... stay away from Perfume.

Even Hugh Jackman isn't worth suffering through that mess.

I didn't think Hard Candy was boring at all :p I loved it. But each to his own, eh?

All of those films finished downloading overnight, so I'll decide which ones to watch later :D And I have some of the others on the list already downloaded but not yet watched.

And like I've said before, I've seen around a thousand films or so, just not all the ones some people think are "must see" films. Which vary from person to person anyway.

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

Brent, we obviously have quite different opinions on what is interesting and what is boring :p Eagle Eye bored me so much that I ended up taking off all the keys of my keyboard during it to clean under them :lol:

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

Sweetheart wrote:

You haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs..what..

And I'm sure you haven't seen a lot of films I think are great :)

This isn't the first time you've posted in this thread, and that's been on the list since the very beginning, so I don't really see the point in bringing it up 14 pages into the thread. If you'd like to recommend a film, please do so :)

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

RollinRightInuit wrote:

And I'm sure you haven't seen a lot of films I think are great :)

This isn't the first time you've posted in this thread, and that's been on the list since the very beginning, so I don't really see the point in bringing it up 14 pages into the thread. If you'd like to recommend a film, please do so :)

Maybe I was shocked because you still haven't seen it after 14 pages? ;)

15 minutes into Perfume and I'm already regretting it thanks to the amount of times the words smell, scent and olfactory have been used =/

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

OhMyJosh95 wrote:

And for the love of God... please... please... stay away from Perfume.

Even Hugh Jackman isn't worth suffering through that mess.

Hugh Jackman isn't in it.....

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Dexterace wrote:

I'd like to suggest a film. It's not on the list and I don't know if you have watched it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) - IMDb

I actually haven't seen it before, but I've downloaded it now

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

OhMyJosh95 wrote:

I don't think I'd quite call it crap, but I'm definitely with you on "incredibly boring." I really did not like it at all.

How can you "really not like" a movie but not consider it to be crap?

OhMyJosh95 wrote:

Wow. Really? Now that was crap, and just everyone involved with the movie agreed on that in hindsight. Disturbia was a much better Hitchcock-knock-off-staring-Shia.

Eagle Eye was a fast-paced, well-executed action flick and probably one of Shia's better performances (probably because he's not a pimply-faced teenager fighting giant robots). The film had a decent twist at the end and it was interesting how all the characters involved was brought to the exact same point even though they were all over the country. I wasn't expecting much when I saw the trailer but I found myself to be very entertained. That's what I go for when I see movies.

Disturbia was okay, but it was incredibly cheesy and had some pretty stupid moments in it. For example, when he admits he's been spying on the girl and basically tells her he's been watching her for weeks and knows everything about her, and she turns around and says it was the sweetest thing ever. Yeah. Right.

OhMyJosh95 wrote:

I'm down with Gladiator and Inside Man. SPR deserves its accolades, but it pales in comparison to Band of Brothers (which is technically a miniseries, but is more like a 10 hour movie). And Valkyrie was just...full of missed opportunities.

I don't compare Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers because as you've already mentioned, one is a film and the other is a miniseries.

I thought Valkyrie was pretty good. What were its missed opportunities?

RollinRightInuit wrote:

Brent, we obviously have quite different opinions on what is interesting and what is boring :p Eagle Eye bored me so much that I ended up taking off all the keys of my keyboard during it to clean under them :lol:

Our opinions undoubtedly differ, since you consider films which consist of almost entirely of dialogue to be interesting, but films that are a fast-paced, well-executed action flicks with a decent twist and an interesting way of getting all the characters to the same spot to be boring.

Or maybe child predation is just your thing. Hey, to each his her own!

:)
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

when he admits he's been spying on the girl and basically tells her he's been watching her for weeks and knows everything about her, and she turns around and says it was the sweetest thing ever. Yeah. Right.

Doesn't stop you from trying ;)

DamnImGood wrote:

Our opinions undoubtedly differ, since you consider films which consist of almost entirely of dialogue to be interesting, but films that are a fast-paced, well-executed action flicks with a decent twist and an interesting way of getting all the characters to the same spot to be boring.

Or maybe child predation is just your thing. Hey, to each his her own!

Well, I do like the fact that the film is backwards and the teen has the upper hand over the predator. But yes, I do like films with a lot of dialogue if they're done well.

As you know, I loved both Rampage and Banlieue 13, so obviously it's not a case of me not liking well-executed action films, it's just a case of me not thinking Eagle Eye was well-executed :p It just seemed annoyingly predictable, and very... same-y. It was kind of disappointing, because I've quite liked Michelle Monaghan in a couple of other films, and it's fairly rare for me to like an actress. Plus I'd seen trailers for it when it was out originally and thought it looked like a film I'd like. To be honest, I didn't actually see any twists in it. First phone call he got I was like "Oh, it's a film about GLaDOS".

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

1. Life is Beautiful
      2. Pi
      3. Fight Club
      4. Source Code
      5. Cube
      6. The Mission
      7. Trainspotting
      8. American History X
      9. Let the Right One In
      10. Big Fish
      11. The Untouchables
      12. The Ghost Writer
      13. Rampage
      14. Taking Woodstock
      15. The Pianist
      16. Requiem for a Dream
      17. Aliens
      18. Legend of the Guardians
      19. The Passenger
      20. Interview with the Vampire
      21. An Education
      22. Taxi Driver
      23. Rubber
      24. Lars and the Real Girl
      25. Catch Me If You Can
      26. Never Let Me Go
      27. Thor

28. Banlieue 13
      29. A Simple Plan
      30. The King's Speech
      31. Banlieue 13 Ultimatum
      32. Before Sunrise
      33. Before Sunset
      34. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
      35. The Glass House
      36. A Brief History of Time
      37. Hard Candy
      38. Eagle Eye
      39. In Dreams
      40. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
      41. Inside Man
      42. The Talented Mr Ripley
      43. Shutter Island

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

How did you like Shutter Island? I thought it was fine until the end. I was pissed. I hate films like that.
      - George Carlin

I kind of saw the ending coming, and as you know from Eagle Eye, films bore me a bit when I find them predictable :p But I liked the dream sequences, and I liked how they did leave it kind of ambiguous at the end of it.

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

[CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]