Taekwon-do

• Re: Taekwon-do

Do you have any other kind of fight training? Also, A LOT of 1st degree black belts aren't any good, because they just have a goal to get to black belt and they quit soon after. Also, for a lot of martial arts schools money is more important than actually teaching someone to be a good fighter so they don't get very good fighters.
      I don't know how many 1st degrees you have fought, but you shouldn't judge them too quickly. You also need to fight some 2nd degrees, they are usually more dedicated and better. They're a bit harder to find than 1st degrees though. :D
      [COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][CENTER]"You're weird!" "Thank you." Take it as a complement.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

gogreeneco wrote:

Do you have any other kind of fight training? Also, A LOT of 1st degree black belts aren't any good, because they just have a goal to get to black belt and they quit soon after. Also, for a lot of martial arts schools money is more important than actually teaching someone to be a good fighter so they don't get very good fighters.
      I don't know how many 1st degrees you have fought, but you shouldn't judge them too quickly. You also need to fight some 2nd degrees, they are usually more dedicated and better. They're a bit harder to find than 1st degrees though. :D

I'm a wrestler, placed in state a few times.
      All you have to do is tackle 'em. Then they're fucked. They can't do shit on the ground.
      fuck.

I treat it more like a sport than anything. It used to be a fighting class but when I realised I'm clean cut and don't get in class I started caring more about winning medals.

You can't be WTF and traditional Taekwon-do, that's a contradiction.

I guess patterns are like an imperative dance class, but sparring is good fighting technique and we break boards for power.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

plax77 wrote:

I'm a wrestler, placed in state a few times.
      All you have to do is tackle 'em. Then they're fucked. They can't do shit on the ground.

Not true. My club teaches us ground combat and self defence and releases from holds, you just dont use it in TKD competitions.

Kickboxing is the best for fighting IMO.
      You're like the drug that I can't stop taking. I want more and I can't stop craving ^^

It depends on the school whether ground-techniques will work or not. Taekwondo has been influenced by many other martial arts. So one school may have some karate-type moves and another will have like hapkido or ju-jitsu if it's hapkido or jujitsu then they will know ground techniques.
      When we spar we go by WTF rules but we're mostly a traditional school. :|
      When you spar someone that has martial arts training, it doesn't matter so much what they do, it matters how well they've been taught and how experienced they are. For instance you could fight a 1st degree from a very, very strict school and get the snot beat out of you. On the other hand you could fight a 5th degree from a very lax school and do fine. It's pretty subjective. :D
      [COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][CENTER]"You're weird!" "Thank you." Take it as a complement.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

Tbh how good of a fighter you are depends on other factors aswell. I know this first degree who could beat the shit out of me and anyone else I know for that matter, whereas my instructor is a third and I could easily beat him up because he's very poorly built.
      You're like the drug that I can't stop taking. I want more and I can't stop craving ^^

Yes, how healthy you are and how old you are really matters. I'm sure that there are young, super-strong and fast 1st Dans and old and unhealthy 9th Dans. :D
      It also depends on how you fight, if you spar with no gear on, or full gear on, if you hit to the back or below the waist, or if you only hit to the sides and torso. :) Very subjective.

gogreeneco wrote:

I'm sure that there are young, super-strong and fast 1st Dans and old and unhealthy 9th Dans. :D

arent most 9th dans old, it takes decades to get there, im 15, and even if i go for every grading i can, and pass them all, i'd be in my fifties by the time i got to ninth dan
      "Happy are those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9

It depends on the school that you go to. I think I could be a 9th dan by the time I was in my 30s-40s. And there are probably 50-year-olds that are really good at fighting.

1 of many reasons.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5Cy33RWLo]YouTube - ‪Muay Thai vs TKD‬‏[/ame]

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Another one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuqqx6SCMAU]YouTube - ‪Taekwondo Sucks‬‏[/ame]
      Hello JC - Cade