Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

• Re: Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

Uh well the "slept with someone I shouldn't have" is not exactly the whole story with that one girl, but just an example of the sort of thing that would make her want to cut. There was stuff that happened previously in her life that made it a more horrible thing to her. And while I know someone else who cut for a similar reason... I think there was probably some deeper thing behind that as well, that I just haven't found out yet because we aren't as close.

The worst thing *is* when they say "You don't understand"
      I try to sympathise, but sometimes they push you to a point where you can't any more.
      Aren't you contradicting yourself, here?

Y'know, they may not trust you with something, and you can't say that they "should", because you don't know many people broke their trust before you came along.

cool_walking_ wrote:

Uh well the "slept with someone I shouldn't have" is not exactly the whole story with that one girl, but just an example of the sort of thing that would make her want to cut. There was stuff that happened previously in her life that made it a more horrible thing to her. And while I know someone else who cut for a similar reason... I think there was probably some deeper thing behind that as well, that I just haven't found out yet because we aren't as close.

Aren't you contradicting yourself, here?

Y'know, they may not trust you with something, and you can't say that they "should", because you don't know many people broke their trust before you came along.

Okay, maybe I can get it now. But people who cut for small petty reasons really bug me.

Hardly. Just because you understand what they're going through, doesn't mean they're not going to piss you off.

I think the point is that you just don't have much time to listen to other peoples problems which is totally fine as I guess if you're a happy fun person then you wouldn't want to hear about depressing things.

Two depressed people go together better than one depressed person and a happy person.
      The World is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity.
      We may rise and fall, but in the end, we'll meet our fate together!
      One. Oh One. The only way is[SIZE=4] ONE.[/SIZE]

im a happy person but my friends come to me when they have ploblums. if im not happy i like being with happsters cos they cheer me up & people that are upset have their own problems without trying to cheer me up
      . <- period
      , <- comma
      ö <- omlaut NOT to be confused with OMLETTE!!!

Yeah there's nothing inherently "wrong" with it. It's not murder. But really...why the hell would you want to cut yourself up. Everyone who does uses it mitigate much larger problems in their life. No one stable and healthy sits there on a friday night slicing into their body.
      [COLOR="black"]When I'm not fighting mountain lions for sport, I read about broken homes, teenage depression, and other such life-improving awesomeness cause I'm weird like that[/COLOR]

a little alcohol doesn't hurt you. A little cutting does. Alcohol isn't harmful in moderation while cutting has no benefits for the victim. Cutting is a way of crying out through pain. They have emotional pain and end up cutting. Cutting is a symptom but Drinking is not. Drinking creates symptoms if they drink too much. Cutting a little because it is a symptom the person usually becomes addicted to it because it is a release to his or her pent up pain and sadness
      Have any other concerns or just want to talk? Go ahead. Pm me.

adamalv1215 wrote:

Yeah there's nothing inherently "wrong" with it. It's not murder. But really...why the hell would you want to cut yourself up. Everyone who does uses it mitigate much larger problems in their life. No one stable and healthy sits there on a friday night slicing into their body.

My habit is not your habit

darklingcode wrote:

Cutting a little because it is a symptom the person usually becomes addicted to it because it is a release to his or her pent up pain and sadness

And that's a bad thing because...?
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.

The post was edited 1 time, last by icy ().

Tori hit it on the head. Here is the definition of addiction
      the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
      Now does that sound something that helps you?
      Have any other concerns or just want to talk? Go ahead. Pm me.

Yes. It's still known as self-harm. Even if you don't do it all the time or even have done it once, it affects everyone. Sometimes in mean ways and others in caring ways.

Even though it can make you feel emotionally better for a little while it still means you've been hurting yourself on purpose. And sometimes it can leave scars...

Asturias wrote:

im sorry but cutting is the stupidest way to cope with strees i've ever seen. i understand drugs and alcohol, but not this.
      it's really sad and should not even be on people's head. it's self-harm w/o any benefits. and what's worse, is that it does spread like the newest fashion and some do it for the attention. just stop please, have respect for yourself, it's immature and weird and pointless. you are better than that, maybe cute and the cuts will make you look ugly..

I'm sorry, what?! This has got to be one of the most pointless and downright STUPID posts I've ever read. :mad:
      [CENTER]call it sickness, call it obsession. call it madness, i don't care, i still call it perfection.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

darklingcode wrote:

Tori hit it on the head. Here is the definition of addiction
      the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
      Now does that sound something that helps you?

If it doesn't cause severe trauma, why make a big deal out of it? Example: if a person who cuts is discovered by friends to be a cutter, the friends usually freak out and tell her to quit. But does she? No, because the fact that it s forbidden makes it thrilliing.

And FYI, I don't even cut anymore. This thread is months old. I didnt "try" to stop and no one had to force me either. I just...stopped. That little habit fizzled.
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.