Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

• Re: Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

Wow. Your argument... It amazes me. I have cut myself before but never to the point where I bled a lot. After about months of doing this, I realized: " what the hell am I doing?" I love my life and literally wouldn't change a thing. All the shit that goes on make me realize that I love the good moments in life even more. I really feel that I will never go down that road again because of how much it has changed my outlook on life.

But anyway, I sill feel that cutting, no matter how detrimental, is still cutting. But once again, I LOVE your argument. In a way, cutting and alcohol really aren't that different. But in another way, they are different.
      :freehugs:

theunknownwonder wrote:

agreed, but really, everyone's got their own preference, and some people find one thing better over the other. nothing's really ever safe if you really think about it. some like to go with illegal drugs n alcohol, other with self therapy (SI etc) while take the "recommended" path and take prescription meds. if you think about it, all these can really screw you over

I know. I used to self-harm, and "responsibly" too. And drugs and alcohol, not always the way to go. The way OP acts, it's like she does it just for the hell of it. In such a case, it should be a lot easier to find ANY alternative action. Wearing a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it whenever you feel the urge.

icy wrote:

I don't have access to drugs and alcohol. What am i supposed to do?
      [...]
      And I've tried alternatives...its not the same. or as convenient.
      Do something fun? Read a book. Play on the swings. Draw a picture. Listen to music. Bake some cupcakes. A bajillion other things.

Cutting "still helps somehow" too. It helps you take out your anger on someone. And why not yourself? Better than harming others, isn't it?
      Not really. You're a person, too. Also, as already said, harming yourself hurts those who care about you. There are better things to take anger out on. Video games, stress balls, all the things in the "Alternatives to self-harm" thread...

theunknownwonder wrote:

really? taste good?
      Alcohol itself tastes like crap to me, but you can find alcoholic drinks to suit anyone's tastes. They've got lots where you can't even taste the alcohol and it's like you're just drinking coke or juice or something.

nothing's really ever safe if you really think about it. some like to go with illegal drugs n alcohol, other with self therapy (SI etc) while take the "recommended" path and take prescription meds. if you think about it, all these can really screw you over
      Uh, sure. And if you REALLY think about it, REALLY HARD - hard enough to contrive ridiculous justifications for cutting - if you go outside you might get hit by a bus filled with garden gnomes, driven by Orlando Bloom, on its way to the moon to collect moon-cheese for a moon-omelette. And then Orlando Bloom remembers that he doesn't even like omelettes, so he just frisbees the plate out the window, severing the head of a rat on the window sill who was trying to get at the cheesy egg goodness. And then the rat's head lands in Orlando Bloom's agape mouth and he contracts the plague. And his treatments for the plague cost so much that he can not afford to pay for your hospital bills for when he ran you over with the bus. So you lose both your legs. So it's safer to stay indoors cutting yourself, right?

Well, I'll be honest, I cut myself a lot. When I do it, I never MEAN to go too far, but last time I went too deep, and had to get the stitches. I went through a lot of shit after that, and wouldnt wish that on anyone. So, I guess Im trying to say that people shouldnt cut themselves, even if they think they can be responsible, cause its hard to be.

Just thought i'd include this story while we're on the subject of getting into shit from cutting ^^

About 2 weeks ago my friends phone broke so we decided to smash it up (hehe). After some fun carnage we finaly ripped it up into small pieces. Me being curious, I ask if I could see how sharp the screen was so I lightly cut myself with the glass. Barely left a mark, but it was obvious that if done not so lightly then it could have easily ripped through the tissue of our skin.

Anyways, for some reason now (wasn't really paying attention to my friends at this point).... One of my friends got my other friend into a headlock. The friend who was in the headlock was holding the piece of glass that I recently had and in an attempt to get my friend to let go of him he cut his arms with the glass multiple times. I don't think he realised how hard he cut him up though.

My friends blood wouldn't stop pouring out. It didn't take long before one of the teachers noticed and began to question how all of this had happened. Because all of this was a big accident and we didn't want to have any names involved our friend just said that some gang did, and because they were wearing hoodies and it was pouring down with rain he never got to see who it was etc. (Pure bullshit of an excuse if you ask me :P)

Anyways, the school believed half of the story.... They said to him that they will investigate his story but that they think that one of the cuts was self-harm.

Long story I know >_>
      The World is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity.
      We may rise and fall, but in the end, we'll meet our fate together!
      One. Oh One. The only way is[SIZE=4] ONE.[/SIZE]

i probly wouldnt mind cutting if there wasnt people who do it & act like "ohh everything youv been through is nothing your just an attention seeker cos guess what!? i listen to __newtrendyband__ and cut myself!"
      im probly biased cos of that so i shouldnt say anything but i wanted to bring up the point ^
      . <- period
      , <- comma
      ö <- omlaut NOT to be confused with OMLETTE!!!

icy wrote:

I mean, if you're not addicted to it, why should you stop? Yes I know...some people have problems and they cut themselves so deep that they need stitches and faint from blood loss...:o...but NOT EVERYONE.

But, think of it this way: If a person drinks a little bit of alcohol here and there, being a "responsible drinker"...do you call that person an alcoholic? No of course not. Just like some people can be "responsible cutters" like you never go far enough to actually HURT yourself. You know when to stop and it isnt a problem in your life! :cool:

Okay bringing the alcohol card into it is not even comparable to cutting. Alcohol can be used to have a good time or it can be used to harm one's body. However, cutting is always harmful to your body. Who the hell cuts to have a good time? Obviously if someone keeps cutting then it's a problem and an addiction. Your point makes no sense.

cool_walking_ wrote:

Uh, sure. And if you REALLY think about it, REALLY HARD - hard enough to contrive ridiculous justifications for cutting - if you go outside you might get hit by a bus filled with garden gnomes, driven by Orlando Bloom, on its way to the moon to collect moon-cheese for a moon-omelette. And then Orlando Bloom remembers that he doesn't even like omelettes, so he just frisbees the plate out the window, severing the head of a rat on the window sill who was trying to get at the cheesy egg goodness. And then the rat's head lands in Orlando Bloom's agape mouth and he contracts the plague. And his treatments for the plague cost so much that he can not afford to pay for your hospital bills for when he ran you over with the bus. So you lose both your legs. So it's safer to stay indoors cutting yourself, right?

yeah... you're right... nvm... it seems too unrealistic that a person can get addicted to drugs and ends up being a junkie and wasting a perfectly good life. and it also seems too unrealistic to think that if someone has mental issues they might try to kill themselves, yea you're right, that never happens. only "normal" people wanna commit suicide, people with messed up heads (whether it be a disorder or trauma) never attempt to kill themselves... its always the norms... therefore its unrealistic to think that one might be having an issue and is really messed up n tries to OD. its probably also too unrealistic to think that someone might get drunk and try to drive a car (i mean c'mon... who does that anymore?) or take a walk and end up hitting someone or something. sorry, i was probably over-thinking it when saying such things could happen, silly me
      Welcome to the world; welcome to the biggest Mindfuck of your life

The post was edited 1 time, last by theunknownwonder ().

theunknownwonder wrote:

yeah... you're right... nvm... it seems too unrealistic that a person can get addicted to drugs and ends up being a junkie and wasting a perfectly good life. and it also seems too unrealistic to think that if someone has mental issues they might try to kill themselves, yea you're right, that never happens. only "normal" people wanna commit suicide, people with messed up heads (whether it be a disorder or trauma) never attempt to kill themselves... its always the norms... therefore its unrealistic to think that one might be having an issue and is really messed up n tries to OD. its probably also too unrealistic to think that someone might get drunk and try to drive a car (i mean c'mon... who does that anymore?) or take a walk and end up hitting someone or something. sorry, i was probably over-thinking it when saying such things could happen, silly me

....How the hell did you get any of that from their post? ._.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Sami wrote:

Okay bringing the alcohol card into it is not even comparable to cutting. Alcohol can be used to have a good time or it can be used to harm one's body. However, cutting is always harmful to your body. Who the hell cuts to have a good time? Obviously if someone keeps cutting then it's a problem and an addiction. Your point makes no sense.

Also, this.

I think that people that cut are just cutting for the absence of happy. They just need a better source of happy.

For some people it's coping mechanism. My best friend wouldn't be alive quite a few times if it weren't for cutting.

I think the best course of action for cutters is to go find your happy. Find a better coping mechanism or go find something/someone that makes you honestly happy, because the happy you're getting from the pain isn't real. Find a better source.
      fuck.

Hmm I agree with Icy, to be honest. In most people's lives (I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE, JUST GENERALLY) people deal with situations with one of four things; drug abuse, alcohol abuse, self harm or a dramatic change of eating habits. Drugs are going to harm you in some form or another no matter what, and it's irreparable damage to the inside, and it can kill you. Alcohol is the same, liver poisoning is turning into one of the top killers. Change of eating habits is insanely dangerous, and has a long term effect on leading to depression about not liking your figure etc. Whereas self harm... I'm sorry but more often than not it's just a few bloody scratches. I know the extremes yeah, but in actual fact, the worst that it's doing is leaving a few scars on their body?

I find it disgusting that just because the harm they have done to themselves is visible, it is frowned upon and some people go to the extent of hating someone because of a few white lines that some poor sod wanted to feel better about, yet when people are alcoholics they get all the sympathy in the world, and everyone treats them the same once they get their life back on track. :nono:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miss Loopy ().

Miss Loopy wrote:

Hmm I agree with Icy, to be honest. In most people's lives (I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE, JUST GENERALLY) people deal with situations with one of four things; drug abuse, alcohol abuse, self harm or a dramatic change of eating habits. Drugs are going to harm you in some form or another no matter what, and it's irreparable damage to the inside, and it can kill you. Alcohol is the same, liver poisoning is turning into one of the top killers. Change of eating habits is insanely dangerous, and has a long term effect on leading to depression about not liking your figure etc. Whereas self harm... I'm sorry but more often than not it's just a few bloody scratches. I know the extremes yeah, but in actual fact, the worst that it's doing is leaving a few scars on their body?

I find it disgusting that just because the harm they have done to themselves is visible, it is frowned upon and some people go to the extent of hating someone because of a few white lines that some poor sod wanted to feel better about, yet when people are alcoholics they get all the sympathy in the world, and everyone treats them the same once they get their life back on track. :nono:

Amen.

SI's been so badly stigmatized that just mentioning the word (a lot of the time) flashes images of someone lying on the flood with 5 inch deep gashes and a quart of blood all over the floor or something similar (Praps a bit less graphic). i could think up a handful of things that are much worse and yet people accept it in the "normal" society as if its no big deal. but again, its all about perspective; unfortunately, most people tend to think of the worst case scenarios when it comes to SI. my best guess: lack of knowledge, understanding, experience, and exposure to the issue. but honestly, who wants to end this fight by saying everyone will hold their own opinion and there are no real rights or wrongs, it all depends on what perspective you choose.
      Welcome to the world; welcome to the biggest Mindfuck of your life

I don't think other types of self-destructive coping devices get all the sympathy in the world :/ . I've never done cutting, excessive alcohol, drugs, or bad eating habits, but I've known people who have. And they ALL get ostracised, because it seems like most people nowadays are too lazy and uncaring to bother helping someone with a problem when it's easier to just throw them away and replace them with someone else.

And none of them are good things. They just reinforce the bad feelings, and probably give you that extra "I cut myself / am a drunk / am a druggie / am fat / am skinny" reason to hate yourself. There's always a better way - channelling your energies into something *constructive* rather than destructive. Rather than go "I shouldn't have slept with that guy. I'm a slut. I need to punish myself by cutting myself."*, you could make up for it, and make yourself feel better about yourself, by going and reading a book to a sick kid in hospital, or writing a poem or a song about how you feel. Just think about what you're actually accomplishing by doing something self-destructive. Is cutting yourself or distracting yourself with drugs going to make whatever the actual problem is, go away? No, it's not.

*Yes I know this isn't the only sort of reason for cutting, but it's one I'm familiar with.

cool_walking_ wrote:

I don't think other types of self-destructive coping devices get all the sympathy in the world :/ . I've never done cutting, excessive alcohol, drugs, or bad eating habits, but I've known people who have. And they ALL get ostracised, because it seems like most people nowadays are too lazy and uncaring to bother helping someone with a problem when it's easier to just throw them away and replace them with someone else.

And none of them are good things. They just reinforce the bad feelings, and probably give you that extra "I cut myself / am a drunk / am a druggie / am fat / am skinny" reason to hate yourself. There's always a better way - channelling your energies into something *constructive* rather than destructive. Rather than go "I shouldn't have slept with that guy. I'm a slut. I need to punish myself by cutting myself."*, you could make up for it, and make yourself feel better about yourself, by going and reading a book to a sick kid in hospital, or writing a poem or a song about how you feel. Just think about what you're actually accomplishing by doing something self-destructive. Is cutting yourself or distracting yourself with drugs going to make whatever the actual problem is, go away? No, it's not.

*Yes I know this isn't the only sort of reason for cutting, but it's one I'm familiar with.

I agree with you to the bit where some people cut for silly reasons, and for those who cut because they slept with someone they wished they hadn't, then frankly I hold no sympathy for them, but then again, some people can actually be really emotional and everyone deals with situations in their own way. Oh come on, everyone knows self harm isn't productive nor an accomplishment, but the way people make it seem, is as though it is insanely frowned upon? The reason people do it is because when you injure yourself or hurt yourself your body produces a special hormone which makes you feel better. It's not to sort out your problems, it's to calm yourself and make you feel good again to perhaps comprehend a situation or even figure out a calm way to solve it, or just for a moment of relaxation.

I used to be one of them bitches who used to hated people who cut and in all honesty, I wanted some of them to go die, but then a very close friend started cutting, and it altered my perception on it to an insane degree. I would never cut, but for those who want to, who are you to say it's wrong, really? It's their life, and their body. Abortions are now sociably acceptable yet a few bloody marks on your skin and you're a horrible person who's obviously an emo who doesn't know what life is and thinks they're so hard done to.

Miss Loopy wrote:

I agree with you to the bit where some people cut for silly reasons, and for those who cut because they slept with someone they wished they hadn't, then frankly I hold no sympathy for them
      I wasn't using that as an example of a silly reason :p . I sympathised with that person. I think I *default* to sympathising with people :p . You don't know how they feel or what they've gone through. And even if you know what they've physically gone through (raped, tortured, dad killed in freak fairy floss making accident on birthday, whatever..), and you judge them because you think you could have dealt with it better, you can't know what they've emotionally gone through. There's probably someone out there whose father was killed by an orange and so now he's afraid of oranges. I'd laugh because it's an absurd situation, but I'd still sympathise with him.

So I understand if people cut. Or if they do drugs. Or they stick balloon animals up their arse. Or whatever. But I still think there are better, less destructive ways to deal with things, and those should always be attempted and moved towards.

The post was edited 1 time, last by cool_walking_ ().

cool_walking_ wrote:

I wasn't using that as an example of a silly reason :p . I sympathised with that person. I think I *default* to sympathising with people :p . You don't know how they feel or what they've gone through. And even if you know what they've physically gone through (raped, tortured, dad killed in freak fairy floss making accident on birthday, whatever..), and you judge them because you think you could have dealt with it better, you can't know what they've emotionally gone through. There's probably someone out there whose father was killed by an orange and so now he's afraid of oranges. I'd laugh because it's an absurd situation, but I'd still sympathise with him.

So I understand if people cut. Or if they do drugs. Or they stick balloon animals up their arse. Or whatever. But I still think there are better, less destructive ways to deal with things, and those should always be attempted and moved towards.

I think it's a silly reason. Most people go through that... But yeah I do sympathise for them, I just think it's a bit drastic to get a knife out and start slitting over something so small :confused: But that's just me.

The worst thing *is* when they say "You don't understand" - Because half the time when you tell someone about what you're going through, you chose them subconsciously because they've probably been through that sort of thing. Or because they're your best friend. I try to sympathise, but sometimes they push you to a point where you can't any more.