Your first summer or part time job?

• Re: Your first summer or part time job?

not sure about the UK but we have a minimum wage in Australia... it's something like $15, but that's only applies if you're over 18 and are working in an actual contracted full-time or part-time position... and even then there are exceptions.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

0xvx0 wrote:

Don't you guys have a minimum wage?
      Ours is $10.25 which isn't that bad at all.

Yh its £3.64... I get... £3.64

Only place locally that pays so little.

Ironic as well seeing as we charge around 12.50 for a roast dinner so our prices are massive. Automatic 10% service charge on everything (which we, the staff dont actually get) and Yet we get paid bottom wage.
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

charliebi101 wrote:

Yh its £3.64... I get... £3.64

Only place locally that pays so little.

Ironic as well seeing as we charge around 12.50 for a roast dinner so our prices are massive. Automatic 10% service charge on everything (which we, the staff dont actually get) and Yet we get paid bottom wage.

Ouch

Citky wrote:

The minimum wage in Lithuania is $2 per hour. Some people don't even get that :cool:

OWWWCHIEE

________
      Aussies! $15 is good dayum. The aussie dollar is about the same as the canadian and american right?

The post was edited 1 time, last by 0xvx0 ().

My first job was at Subway making sandwiches. I really enjoyed it and actually started having customers come back asking for me specifically to make their food. I started creating my own sub combinations and naming them myself.

Some customers would come up and ask for one of my creations by name... mostly the BFS (best F'in sub) and another employee would have to get me to come and make it haha!

The cool thing about that was these customers started tipping me for making my own brand of subs.

The interview was very easy. The girl doing my interview was the assistant manager and she already knew from eating there all the time. Also... the easiest way to get your first job and mostly all jobs is to know someone who works there. That's almost always enough to get your foot in the door for an interview.

No matter what your job is always dress up nice and wear a tie to the interview. This should always be done at ANY JOB interview.

I no longer work at Subway, but I really enjoyed my time working there!

Remember: "Always dress for success".
      :nono:NoSig to display currently.

My first real job (besides washing schools and stuff) was at a bakery. I worked there for one summer, than I didn't bother anymore since my boss threated me really bad.

Now I work at McDonald's and I really enjoy it. At the interview they asked me what I knew about McDonald's, and honestly; I only knew they sold burgers. But they said I smiled so much so I could get the job anyway.

We also have a minimum at wages, at 101,95 when you are 17. So that is ok.

My first job was temping in an office. It was holiday cover so it only lasted two weeks. It was very easy, mostly they just wanted someone to office sit and answer the phone when it rang (which it did about once an hour). I opened the post too and sorted it, which took about 20 minutes tops, then the rest of the day I just spent reading or on the internet.

I've had loads of other jobs since then but now I work in a supermarket.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Last summer I worked for the first time at MacDonald's and ... Unexpectedly, this was FUN, and not so hard :) I really enjoyed it, and I'm doing that again this summer !
      Sorry about the eventual mistakes, I'm French. But this doesn't mean I bite ; )
      :cool:

My first job was at a high end Japanese restaurant as a waiter. The hours were tough but it was a rewarding experience. It paid minimum wage ($6.50 at the time in the states) but I made more than enough in tips from the customers (about $200 per night). It helps when each dish on the menu costs >$30.

At the interview they asked me how well I could memorize the menu. I came back for a second interview and they randomly selected a few items from the menu and asked me to recite it back word for word including what each dish consisted of.

ozmc003 wrote:

My first job was at a high end Japanese restaurant as a waiter. The hours were tough but it was a rewarding experience. It paid minimum wage ($6.50 at the time in the states) but I made more than enough in tips from the customers (about $200 per night). It helps when each dish on the menu costs >$30.

At the interview they asked me how well I could memorize the menu. I came back for a second interview and they randomly selected a few items from the menu and asked me to recite it back word for word including what each dish consisted of.

Damn that seems awesome, i'd love to work at a restaurant as a waiter. You need to be 18 though I think.
      Working at a warehouse now, not bad but long hours and tiring as hell.

ozmc003 wrote:

I worked at a warehouse and only lasted a week. I learned that manual labor is not my thing lol

Yeah damn, might sound stupid but I didn't think it'd be as intensive as it is, working full summer days doesn't help either. Only a summer job though.
      When im 18 ill apply as a restaurant and I think I'd actually really enjoy working, taking orders and talking to customers and stuff.

0xvx0 wrote:

Yeah damn, might sound stupid but I didn't think it'd be as intensive as it is, working full summer days doesn't help either. Only a summer job though.
      When im 18 ill apply as a restaurant and I think I'd actually really enjoy working, taking orders and talking to customers and stuff.

It's fun when you get repeat customers and you learn what they like to eat. If you get real good at it, they'll ask to be seated in your section when they come back.