A dollar late, a buck short

• A dollar late, a buck short

This is actually my first thread, so I hope I don't sound too stupid haha.

So I stumbled upon this website and felt that maybe I could talk to someone about my current situation in dating. I'm a high school junior (guy), and there's this girl I really like, who happens to be graduating. There are a couple weeks of school left before summer, and for the first time in my life, I really wish school wouldn't end. I know it sounds stupid and cliche, but I truly, honestly, without a doubt feel as though she and I were meant to be (maybe not for life or whatever, but you get the idea).

I've known her for about a year now, but I haven't really ever made a move. It wasn't until recently that I became really interested in her, but there's not much I can do seeing as to how she's graduating.

As much as it pains me to say, I understand that there's really no scenario in which everything turns out alright like in the movies, and I don't really feel as though this post is meant for me to get pumped up and ask her out. I guess I'm writing this really because I'd like someone to talk to and maybe get some advice as to what I can do, either no or after she's gone.

I'd also like to add that she's going to UC Berkeley next year, which is one of my top choices for colleges. Even then there'd be a year wait before we'd meet up again (assuming I got in and chose Berkeley), so I don't want to assume that everything will work out in that scenario either.

If you've read all this, then I really appreciate it. As much as I sound like it, I'm not trying to be another bitchy teenager, but I feel really depressed about the whole ordeal and would rather talk about it than let it fester like an old wound in my heart.

Thank you :)
    • Re: A dollar late, a buck short

Well, that's kind of a messed up situation: assuming that she's interested in you the best thing you could do is to spend as much time as you can with her during this summer, because once the college starts, you won't have any chance to make a long distance relationship work, that's sad but that's true.
      So my suggestion is to try and ask her out sometime, and see how it goes... enjoy this summer and then let her go, perhaps you'll meet her again at the college :)
      Good luck ;)

Despite your reservations, I think you should make a move anyway. What do you have to lose? If she says no, at least you tried, and you'll have time apart from her to help yourself get over it.

But she could say yes. Get to know her a little more and bring up the fact that you're interested in Berkeley as well. My optimism might be biased, but I dated a guy for the summer after I graduated. :) We knew we would eventually part ways so we didn't let it get too serious, and it was one of the most fun summers I've ever had.

You could also wait and see if you meet up again in a year, but it gives her a lot of opportunity to meet other people before then. I'd say it's now or never, but other people might tell you differently - it's totally up to you!

First off, I'd like to thank you guys for responding; I don't know if you realize how much it means to me just knowing there's someone who'll lend an open ear.

As for the advice, I agree in many aspects of what you guys think. If it helps to put things in to perspective, here's how I view my current thoughts and emotions:

In my mind I know that most of this is out of my control and that my best bet is to be mature about it all and let her go. Logically, it doesn't make sense for me to prolong the wait until we have to say our goodbyes. The problem there is that my mind isn't the same as my heart. In my heart I can't stand the thought of letting her go, possibly forever. She's really easy to talk to, and I my spirits are automatically lifted whenever we are in each other's presence.

Basically, my problem here is that I don't know how I can manage to force my mind and heart to work in unison, rather than complete opposing forces.

Any thoughts/comments/concerns are greatly appreciated :)

(and by the way, Scaredycrow, that's really awesome to hear about the summer after you graduated. I'm glad there's at least hope that a situation like this doesn't always have to be negative :) )