Networking help

• Networking help

This has been gnawing at my brain for ever, sometimes I get it to work then sometimes I can't get it to work. It just does not make any sense in my head as to why it does not work because it has worked before and I most certainly have not made any changes. Pinging says that the 360 is unreachable, which again I'm failing to understand, maybe there's something missing. I do not know, I just know My PC can't communicate with anything outside of the 2nd routers group. Basically, I'm trying to connect the 2 red boxes in my image, over the network so I can stream shit to my brothers 360, but shit won't work. =/

• Re: Networking help

Sounds like an IP conflict, but honestly I would just avoid the headache and replace the 2nd router with a switch. Guaranteed (and correct) solution. Having multiple routers on the same network, even if the DHCP is disabled, is never a good idea and should only be done if absolutely necessary.

Are all devices on your network set to a static IP?

Also, ew @ router/modem combos.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

Not sure how much switches cost because I've never bothered looking, I'll have a look now. I just thought it'd be easy to just use an old router as a switch by disabling the DHCP. And no, all the devices on the network excluding my 2nd router are dynamic although none of the IPs change anyway. And I've always been given router/modems from my ISPs. :p

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

M'kay, trying not to go with brand (since I like Netgear the most) I assume this would be good enough since it's cheap: TP-Link 10/100 5 Port Desktop Switch - Aria Technology

Matt wrote:

Not sure how much switches cost because I've never bothered looking, I'll have a look now. I just thought it'd be easy to just use an old router as a switch by disabling the DHCP. And no, all the devices on the network excluding my 2nd router are dynamic although none of the IPs change anyway. And I've always been given router/modems from my ISPs. :p

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

M'kay, trying not to go with brand (since I like Netgear the most) I assume this would be good enough since it's cheap: TP-Link 10/100 5 Port Desktop Switch - Aria Technology

You could try setting all the devices to a static IP and see if that clears up the problem. If not, invest in a switch. They're not expensive and they can come in handy. I have an 8 port switch myself (D-Link).
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Citky wrote:

If you want to extend the network, a switch sounds like a good idea.

I have no modem :rob: Cable from the wall->Router->Devices

Lol, you've just reminded, mines cable from the wall to the router now too. :rob:

Also, I've done nothing to the network besides turn off my PC because I went to sleep and amazingly the 360 can now see the PC again; justfuckinggay.

I consider Netgear to be low tier, too. umad? :rob:
      - George Carlin

plax77 wrote:

my netgear kicks ass. Overall I'd have to say it's a reliable brand. It pwns Linksys.

DLink > Linksys > Belkin > Netgear
      - George Carlin