Car Talk

• Re: Car Talk

Flynn wrote:

I like the new Camaros a lot. Possibly the best looking American made car out right now. But it wouldn't be my first choice under $50k. I'd prefer corvette, BMW M1, or Audi s5.

Flynn. I love you for making this thread. I love you the most I can without it being homo.

Yep. Just an Acura Integra. Obviously I wouldnt keep it stock.

I'd get a 1998 Type R Model.

Get a K&D Air Filter into it, get a single low-ratio turbocharger into it (for fast acceleration in the lower RPMs), get some forged pistons, ceramic crankshaft bearings, as well as forged crank bar (I want the car to last long of course.) I'd put some aluminum rims on it (some tasteful ones of course), get street slicks for the summer and spring, and hard winter tires for winter, and all-seasons for the autumn. I'd get an Alpine 10" dual subwoofer, as well as Alpine tweeters and mids, and 3 Alpine amplifiers (I love Alpine. Mostly because of the fact it's literally all my dad used, so I've grown up on the Alpine sound.) Maybe an Alpine deck, or Kingston (Kingston looks better and has a better interface, but Alpine has more EQ options). I'd also lower the car an inch or two just for teh shietz. And maybe some retractable lights because the old Toyota Corolla lights just look so oh so secksy. I'd also want to get a cold-air intake system, and reposition the catalytic converter box maybe another inch or two forward from stock so that I can get better fuel economy, and a better look, also would get a Magnaflow muffler because I just love a good roar of the engine. I'd also get high-voltage spark plugs for more power and fuel-efficiency, as well as a 14V battery to replace the normal 12V battery so that those spark plugs can run as efficiently as possible.

All in manual.

: > And thats only what I want off the top of my head. xD I havent made an exact list because I usually think a Integra is my dream car, but every now and again, I think the RX-7 is simply because of the Rotary engine. They're just so... Rotary...

Those Integras will always look great! I like your plan; that would be a kick ass car! I would also add an aluminum flywheel and even maybe change the motor out for an s2000's motor. Those rotary engines put out a whole lot of horsepower for their small size. Only downside is that they eat a lot of oil and you have to start the engine at least once a day (from what I've heard) to keep it in good working order. But then again, the RX-7 and RX-8 are the best cars Mazda has ever made. IMO.

Flynn wrote:

Those Integras will always look great! I like your plan; that would be a kick ass car! I would also add an aluminum flywheel and even maybe change the motor out for an s2000's motor. Those rotary engines put out a whole lot of horsepower for their small size. Only downside is that they eat a lot of oil and you have to start the engine at least once a day (from what I've heard) to keep it in good working order. But then again, the RX-7 and RX-8 are the best cars Mazda has ever made. IMO.

Aha yeah, I'm a big believer of "its not the car that makes the power, its what you do with it that makes the power". So I do alot.

I dont really like the s2000 motor, even though it produces more power, I dont really see any more advantages than more basepower for the cost, which that power could be achieved for less easier by just rebuilding the motor like I plan it out to.

Aluminum flywheel? Aha maybe ;) But I wouldnt trust flimsy aluminum inside the engine compartment unless it was the fan or turbocharger blade.

And I do indeed love rotary engines, thats a big reason I love RX-7, its so reliable (once you get past the sealing problems.) And they probably eat a lot of oil because the engine is one big single piston that is always working on all 4 strokes simultaneously. Which is a huge appeal for me for some reason.

Or just put a 426 Hemi in it. Now THAT'S an engine.

I want a basic Mazda RX-8.

Ever since I saw them for the first time I knew it would be the car I'd end up getting when i'm older.

My dad NEARLY bought one for himself, and said that I could have it when I pass my test (he already has a BMW M3 convertable) but he knows a lot about cars and engines and he noticed that the older RX-8's have Rotary engines which are not good and can be faulty through use.

BUT, i will one day get my dream Black Mazda RX-8 with suicide doors <3
      The World is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity.
      We may rise and fall, but in the end, we'll meet our fate together!
      One. Oh One. The only way is[SIZE=4] ONE.[/SIZE]

Welsh Prophets are Lost wrote:

I want a basic Mazda RX-8.

Ever since I saw them for the first time I knew it would be the car I'd end up getting when i'm older.

My dad NEARLY bought one for himself, and said that I could have it when I pass my test (he already has a BMW M3 convertable) but he knows a lot about cars and engines and he noticed that the older RX-8's have Rotary engines which are not good and can be faulty through use.

BUT, i will one day get my dream Black Mazda RX-8 with suicide doors <3

Rotary engines are what? What? What?

No. They arent if they're looked after right.

My pa used to have an RX-8 till he literally gave it back to the dealership because of it flooding. The seal was faulty. The good thing about rotary engines is that there are fewer parts, which mean fewer things that can fail. As long as all the belts and seals and shafts are in good order (and the seal), it should be perfectly fine, and even more reliable than a piston engine (as long as the seal is good), and while it may not produce as much power, it makes a good distinctive sound that differentiates from a piston engine (if the seal is good), and it's a little easier to put a turbocharger or supercharger or cold air intake on it since it only has ONE intake area (as long as the seal is good).

Oh yeah, did I mention the seal?

Really. The seal is very important and sensitive as the cylinder literally ALWAYS has moving liquids, parts, and other things.

So get that seal all good, and the rotary engine will really outlast even a 4-cylinder Toyota Corolla.

Otherwise, Mazda RX-8's are soooo secks.

The thing is, only the past version of the Mazda RX-8 has the rotary engines my dad said.

And he doesn't really want to pay over £6000 for a car, and pretty much ALL of the new version of the car are over £7000 :L

And apparently one of the things that goes wrong with them is that they can be hard to get the engine started if they haven't been.... I don't really remember the reason why, but it was something like that.

The thing is, only the past version of the Mazda RX-8 has the rotary engines my dad said.

And he doesn't really want to pay over £6000 for a car, and pretty much ALL of the new version of the car are over £7000 :L

And apparently one of the things that goes wrong with them is that they can be hard to get the engine started if they haven't been.... I don't really remember the reason why, but it was something like that.

What do you mean past versions? Last time I checked, even the 2011 version of the RX-8 has a rotary engine.

And you dont need a new version of the car, I think RX-8 started in 2006 or 2005 last time I checked. I think. Though yeah, they can be expensive. And if a Mazda RX-8 is going to be your first car- forget it. Get an RX-8 later on in life. Firstly, because then atleast all RX-8's will be past 5 years old, which is a generally good rule of thumb that if a car lasts 5 years, its not too old to be vulnerable to break down, but its not too new to be vulnerable to breakdown too (who sells new cars used unless they have a special reason or a reason regarded to the engine?)

Also, a second reason is that an RX-8 has 280-ish horsepower. For your first car? No. Just no. No. No.

It would be smarter to look into something more fuel efficient (280-horsepower engines are fuel hungry, and the fact that they're rotary engines dont help either.) Also, get something less powerful. We know you're young now and you want a fast car to show off (I'm probably younger than you. why am I saying this!? xD), but learn to drive a car fast instead of learning to drive a fast car.

Look into a Civic, a Corolla, a Miata, a 240SX, or a Elantra or even Sentra. Those are MY best bets (they're all JDM. Lawl.) Though anything under 200 horsepower and over 5 years old is usually a good starter car (as long as its been checked by a mechanic and e-tested and is road ready and has good condition systems.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by elemein ().

Well, I clearly don't know much about cars and engines, I just go by what i'm told.

And I do understand why you think getting an RX-8 is a bad first car. One of the other reasons is because it is incredibly expensive for a young beginner driver to get insurance on the car.

And i'm only 15.... It's going to be atleast a year and a half before my dad can teach me how to drive. (Probably wont start driving till i'm 18-19)

And I can tell you that i'm not a naive speed freak either, I knew people who have died from reckless driving and my dad was actually in a car with his friend and he crashed the car and his friend died because he wasn't wearing a seat belt.... So yeah, I know how fast is too fast.

Well, I clearly don't know much about cars and engines, I just go by what i'm told.

And I do understand why you think getting an RX-8 is a bad first car. One of the other reasons is because it is incredibly expensive for a young beginner driver to get insurance on the car.

And i'm only 15.... It's going to be atleast a year and a half before my dad can teach me how to drive. (Probably wont start driving till i'm 18-19)

And I can tell you that i'm not a naive speed freak either, I knew people who have died from reckless driving and my dad was actually in a car with his friend and he crashed the car and his friend died because he wasn't wearing a seat belt.... So yeah, I know how fast is too fast.

I'm about the same age as ya, and I have driven a little.

And yes, insurance is yet another spurring reason to not get it as a first car. But I think you're more into the RX-8 because of its looks, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's looks are a little more attractive than its 0-60 numbers (even though those are outstanding for a "daily driver")

And yeah, we've all known people who have been in motor accidents (I have been in one too. In my sisters Civic, 4 car pileup, the Civic was totalled. I came out with a torn shoulder legiment. Airbags failed. Thank god for seat belts and ABS Brakes.

And actually, pardon my rudeness, but I dont think you really know how much 280 horsepower is. It's literally a beast of the more common JDM motors. If you REALLY want to get that RX-8 ASAP, you're going to need to learn how to handle a fast car slow, or a slow car fast. Either or works. So if you're dad has some 4 door sedan thats under 200 HP, ask him if you can take it to a course (not a drag strip. An actual course with twists and turns, etc.) and drive it like hell, or rent a car there at the course. My pa has a 526 HP C6, and he really drills it hard into me that I need to understand how to drive slow cars fast or fast cars slow until I can get a car that is over 200 HP, and I suggest you do the same too.

If looks are really the more important thing here, then maybe when you have more money to throw at a car, I might replace the engine in it to get more fuel efficieny into it and less power. Though thats up to you of course.

I have very little experience in driving, but I have a dirt track buggy thing which goes at around 40mph max and can practice on that when I go to my house in France for a few weeks this summer.

When I do come to learn how to drive, i'll be driving my dads BMW M3 which i'm guessing has very high horsepower because it's a beast on the road :P

Or I could try out my brother's cars instead, Toyota Celica and Ford (not sure what it's name is)

I have very little experience in driving, but I have a dirt track buggy thing which goes at around 40mph max and can practice on that when I go to my house in France for a few weeks this summer.

When I do come to learn how to drive, i'll be driving my dads BMW M3 which i'm guessing has very high horsepower because it's a beast on the road :P

Or I could try out my brother's cars instead, Toyota Celica and Ford (not sure what it's name is)

Aha sure, that buggy sounds awesome. I wish I had one of those xD I doubt it has a manual transmission, but if it does, awesome, get really used to using the transmission (unless you want to drive only automatic cars. Which. Is okay, but it's always ideal to have manual as they're cheaper and slightly more reliable and its more "driving" than an automatic.

Also, wow. You have a good selection of cars. I doubt your dad is going to let you use his BMW M3, but if he does. I envy you. Greatly. That thing has wads of horsepower, and if you can manage to drive that lovely animal in manual on a freeway, in stop-and-go traffic, parking, and just about every other situation, you are more than ready to tackle the RX-8.

If you're handed the Toyota Celica, then use that car, but instead of shifting at 3000-3500 RPM, shift at maybe 4000 so you can get a better ear for the car's revolutions, and also so that you can handle the car when its working a little harder than normal. The Celica is in the same class as the RX-8 even though it has substantially less horsepower, it has a piston engine, so it handles more rigidly.

If that Ford is a Ford Mustang. Same deal as the M3. If it's a Ford Focus, then I'd definetely either take it to a course or learn to shift it at both 2500 RPM (so that you can get a feel of when the car will stall or accelerate) and also 5000 RPM (so that you can handle the engine under a lot of stress, which will be what the RX-8 will feel like when its only in normal 3000 RPM ranges.) If it isnt a Mustang or Focus, then tell me what it is, and I'll let you know.

But again, learn to drive fast cars slow or slow cars fast if you want to learn how to drive cars really well.

Haha, yeah... It's either the BMW or his Transit work van :P (which I doubt he'll let me use)

The buggy has manual gears, so it will be good practise.

And I wish my brother had a Mustang haha, it's just a smart model of one of the recent Focus's.

Thanks for all the advice ;)

Haha, yeah... It's either the BMW or his Transit work van :P (which I doubt he'll let me use)

The buggy has manual gears, so it will be good practise.

And I wish my brother had a Mustang haha, it's just a smart model of one of the recent Focus's.

Thanks for all the advice ;)

No problem, and damn. A buggy with manual gears. I dont know what the usual RPM ranges are for a buggy, but whatever you usually do, shift at higher RPMs. You'll use more gas but it'll be harder to manage the vehicle as the engine will be under more stress (not the kind of engine-breaking stress. Good stress?xD)

And oh I see. If I were you I'd do my best to go for that Celica has it'd be most like your RX-8. Just remember to use higher RPMs.