First date ever

• First date ever

I know this is going to sound really lame, however I am 19 and and going on my first date Tuesday.

It's not so much that I couldn't get a girlfriend as much as I wasn't really interested, until I met this girl that is.

I have a couple of questions for those that have time.

Controlling parents
      First of all my parents are extremely controlling (yes I live at home because I'm attending a community college, with no freedoms). I have been told on multiple occasions that they "Dont give a damn about my opinion or what I have to say". The thing I'm worried most about is them making fun of me, asking 100s of questions, or trying to control what I do. You might say this is ridiculous but you haven't met my parents. Their the type that interrogates me when I get off the phone. Call's me up at friends houses and tells me how long I should stay. They know I went and met this girl the other day. They have already started with "Is she your girlfriend?" "what did you two do?" "did you like her?". They like to make fun of me for anything. Oh I met this girl for the first time a couple days ago. Shes starting college and wanted to know someone else out there, so I said I would go meet her and we could be friends. After meeting up I realized she doesn't really have friends and has wanted to go to the movies for a while, so I told her if she wants to go with me that would be awesome. I know she considers this a date because I asked her if she did :P
      1) How should I tell my parents I'm going? Should I say its just a movie with a friend? Should I tell them I am just going to hang out with her?

About the date
      This will be our first date together, actually my first date ever, and after talking to her she has only had one boyfriend and he started of as a friend so she said shes never been on a real date. Were planning on seeing the movie, then going to get something to eat after. I can honestly say I am not nervous when I'm around her at all. This is the first time I have met someone that I can truly be honest and be myself around. However I am nervous about the date. I want to show her that I really am into her, but I don't want to be too harsh. College starts in 10 days and she is nice, caring, friendly, honest, beautiful, etc. So I kinda feel I need to get her close before school starts and someone else gets her. Now the questions.
      Should I kiss her on the first date?
      Should I hold her hand, or is that a kiddy thing?
      If I kiss her where should I kiss her at?
      When should I kiss her? (when we see a certain thing on screen, when I see her, when she stares, or what)

She is kinda shy and I am trying to get her to open up to me atleast. I know that I am definitely into her. I have talked to her online and usually I only talk a couple of mins wityh other people, however with her we usually get on at 11pm and talk to about 1am or 3am. Again I can be completly honest with her and she says the same about me. She says she really enjoys talking to me, and I may be the first person she can be truly honest about everything with. I guess I have just finally met someone that shares the same interests and opinions as me.

My main concern is I want to make sure and make this really enjoyable for her, and I'm afraid I'll mess it up. I'm also worried it may be a good time to kiss her and I don't, or it's not a good time and I try to. I want to show her that I am seiously into her and not remain just a friend.

Oh that raises another question, how long do we have to date before I can consider her a girlfriend?

Any advice is really appreciated!

I didn't realize I was as freaked about this until after I wrote this. :o
    • Re: First date ever

tiggerwalker wrote:

1) How should I tell my parents I'm going? Should I say its just a movie with a friend? Should I tell them I am just going to hang out with her?

I think it depends on what you think will result in them asking the least amount of questions. If you say you're going with a friend, will they ask which friend? It might be best to tell them you're going with this girl and insist you're just friends for now - if things go well maybe they can meet her and they'll ease up a little. :)

When should I kiss her? (when we see a certain thing on screen, when I see her, when she stares, or what)

You could definitely hold hands. ^^

Kissing just depends on how the date is going. It's really your call as to when the time is right, but it's usually best to wait until a little further in or at the end of the date, if you do it at all. (For the first one, anyway!)

Oh that raises another question, how long do we have to date before I can consider her a girlfriend?

Again, it's a personal thing - whenever you think it's long enough. If you start to wonder, just talk to her about it and make sure you're both on the same page.
    • Re: First date ever

tiggerwalker wrote:

Will they make a big deal if you say: "I'm going to hang out at the movies then grab some lunch with the guys" or something like that?

And I'm just wondering, is it possible that when they ask you things like "Is she your girlfriend? Do you like her?" that you can just say "It's none of your business" ? I know when my parents asking those kinds of questions (which they do constantly) I just say to them I prefer to keep that part of my life private. And if they push I just don't answer.

tiggerwalker wrote:

If you think she'd be comfortable with it. If you say she's shy, I'm not sure if she will be. I remember I was kissed on my first date, and I was okay with it because I was fully comfortable with the guy. So if she's comfortable and you can really tell, it's really a "if the moment arises" kinda thing in my opinion. If you find a moment on the date where you think it'd be appropriate, sure go ahead. But only if you don't think it'll scare her away or think you're going too fast. There's a chance of that with shy people.

tiggerwalker wrote:

I remember my 23 year old friend (girl) commenting on a date she had with this guy. Her favorite part was that he held her hand. She couldn't get over it because she "couldn't remember the last time someone wanted to hold my hand". Sometimes just holding hands can be more intimate than a kiss, so it's not a kiddy thing.

tiggerwalker wrote:

tiggerwalker wrote:

Where ever it feels right. Don't make it a random kiss. It could be like a kiss good night when you say good bye, or if you find a time before that where it looks like she wants a kiss go ahead. But there is no set location or moment where it'd be good. But, I think if she's staring at the screen and stuff, that's a little too much of a surprise for a first date and a shy person. Just my opinion. I'm shy sometimes, and that'd kinda scare me off a bit.

tiggerwalker wrote:

how long do we have to date before I can consider her a girlfriend?

It depends. People in my school consider right after the first date boyfriend and girlfriend. Some people ask officially "would you like to be my girlfriend?" and some people consider "would you go out with me" to be the same thing. It all depends on the both of you. If you need the reassurance, you can ask her to be your girlfriend whenever you feel like the two of you have a chance at a relationship.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]