Drug Searches in School

• Re: Drug Searches in School

Define drug search.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

Going through someone's private belongings (such as a bag/backpack/etc) to search for drugs without reason to (as in suddenly randomly pulling over a kid in the hall vs being tipped off that so-and-so has weed in his bag)? No, invasion of privacy. If they have reason to believe you have drugs on you? Yes, go ahead. Lockers are fair game too, you don't own that locker, it's the school's; they let you borrow it, therefore yes they can search it. Drugs are illegal, like it or not; by all means they can search you, so long as it doesn't unfairly invade privacy, take advantage of you, or "pick on you".

If your embarrassed to have something on you then you shouldn't have it. And if you dont have anything to hide it shouldnt be a problem. I hate these people who bang on about rights to privacy. Random drug searches and tests in schools would lower the abuse of drugs by the students (at least in school) end of.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle ♥
      [/CENTER]

Dangermouse wrote:

Never heard of the right to privacy?

I don't agree with searches at school, if there's a particular reason why you need to be searched then go to the police station.

Thankfully they don't do it here.

Why not? Look at it from the school's perspective: if something were to happen, like say a kid OD'd, the school can be held liable.

meg.loomis wrote:

Why not? Look at it from the school's perspective: if something were to happen, like say a kid OD'd, the school can be held liable.

Why would the school be liable?

If a student committed suicide on school property, it wouldn't be their fault.

And the thing I have against the urination tests is that they choose students and they must urinate in the cup. And if you don't, you are charged with a failed drug test. I feel uncomfortable having to pee into a cup. Much less giving my urination to someone.
      :mau5:

ilikebacon wrote:

Why would the school be liable?

If a student committed suicide on school property, it wouldn't be their fault.

And the thing I have against the urination tests is that they choose students and they must urinate in the cup. And if you don't, you are charged with a failed drug test. I feel uncomfortable having to pee into a cup. Much less giving my urination to someone.

Okay let me try that again. They *could* be held accountable. If you're supposed to be in a class, they're supposed to know where you are. (hence why they don't like skippers, they don't know where you are while they're supposed to; not to say I'm against skipping, I'm guilty :p). It's a little different with a spare block or excused absence or lunch break— you are permitted to leave.

And as for tests.. They would only do it if they had reason to believe you have done them; they're not gonna pick the grade 9 walking down the hall and the grade 11 sitting at a table and say "you, piss in this".

Emz_x0x wrote:

If your embarrassed to have something on you then you shouldn't have it. And if you dont have anything to hide it shouldnt be a problem. I hate these people who bang on about rights to privacy. Random drug searches and tests in schools would lower the abuse of drugs by the students (at least in school) end of.

You don't really get privacy, do you?

Searching lockers is fine, but that's it. It's illegal here to search a person or property without probable cause or a warrant.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

ilikebacon wrote:

I could see this being a requirement for athletes, but it seems as though it might be expensive, time consuming, or unproductive to conduct urine tests randomly on the student body? :confused:

I don't mind locker searches and I personally wouldn't care if someone checked my bags but I know there's a lot of privacy issues surrounding that.

TBH though I'm not sure how effective drug searches would be in the long run. I don't want to be pessimistic, but kids would just get better at hiding them, and it's not doing much to stop drug use overall (only at school - maybe).

I'd also like to point out that most teachers aren't always as stupid as they might seem and can often tell when a kid is using drugs, but there's probably just not much they can do besides maybe talk to the student, who would most likely just get defensive. It'd be nice if there was a way to report or deal with that kind of thing but unfortunately I'm not sure if it could be done in an unbiased manner.

Thank god I don't live in America, but Canadians are cool.

Meg I actually don't care how many kids are drug addicts.

But drugs aren't a problem at my school so there's no need.

And even if they were, random testing would be a better solution.
      You're like the drug that I can't stop taking. I want more and I can't stop craving ^^

DamnImGood wrote:

You don't really get privacy, do you?

Searching lockers is fine, but that's it. It's illegal here to search a person or property without probable cause or a warrant.

Clearly not. I just dont see what peoples problems are with having their person or property searched if they have nothing to hide.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle ♥
      [/CENTER]