Should the "N" word be banned from school books?

• Re: Should the "N" word be banned from school books?

"I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

What's the point of censoring it? It's just a noun that just means black, BUT thanks to some southern redneck farmers it was turned into a racial slur, which is unacceptable in my opinion. Now, if it was just for some educational purposes such as reading a book then I dont see the problem. I remember that it was mentioned quite a bit in "To Kill A Mockingbird" when we read that in 10th grade and really nobody made a big deal out of it (Including the passive-aggressive fat black girl in my English class)

First off, just saying, but this sounds like a homework question

but, I believe that the N-word is needed in literature that holds the context of what that word meant in history. Erasing this word from literature that is considered quintessential to an era of racism, such as in Huckleberry Finn, would not be protecting children from racism, but it would be shielding them from the past. The N-word is used so casually in media today, and the last thing we need to do is actually fail to teach children the hateful beginnings of this word, I think shying away from seeing the N-word in its original context is the reason people have propagated it out of its original meaning.

The N-word was never intended to be anything other than hateful and its a shame that we are using it today.