McAfee Expires/Two Viruses

• McAfee Expires/Two Viruses

As the title suggests, my McAfee subscription is going to expire in about 4 days. Now, my dad insists that it's the best, but I feel different. My computer currently has two viruses. Win 7 Security 2012 and Win 7 Antispyware 2012. Both fake programs that have taken over my computer three times in the past two days. It blocked my internet, saying that any website I visited was unsecured, including one I own. I got some temporary solution going right now that just prevents it from doing that, but I scanned with McAfee and it said there were no issues found, when I know it's still in my computer.

I have to call Dell because I have a year warranty for virus protection, so I'll let them handle the Viruses I have. But my question is, what's better than McAfee that I can get? What's your experiences with other security programs? I've been looking online, but there's so many mixed reviews, and all my friends either have McAfee or macs.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    • Re: McAfee Expires/Two Viruses

well.. ive been running no AV for a few years now. without any issues do a annual scan every Jan.

AV I install on ppls machine is usually AVG Free version. Thing is no matter what AV you have you can still get viruses if you use the internet irresponsibly. Dont visit suspect/shady websites, or download from unreliable hosts, dont open emails from unknown ppl etc..

For your PC couple the AVG, along with windows defender and malware bytes. (all free) Ensure you are running the latest update files for each, and also have the software and updates on a flash drive to load onto the PC with the potential virus. Then run a full scan in safe mode for each.
      Undefined by theories...

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

One of the few things Microsoft has done really well. The only complaint I've heard about it is that it's not bundled with Windows. It's the only thing you're ever going to need.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

I would never settle for a free security software, especially since they have no defense against rogue agents. Most anti viruses I perform are individuals using Mcafee or AVG, even though both have paid versions. 3/5 times it's human error regardless to your software.

(I am an eletronics technician through Staples)

I recommend Norton 360 (they use to be atrocious but stepped their game up), Kaspersky, or even Webroot. Bit Defender is decently notable as well.

Ejayrazz wrote:

(I am an eletronics technician through Staples)

I recommend Norton 360 (they use to be atrocious but stepped their game up), Kaspersky, or even Webroot. Bit Defender is decently notable as well.

>nearly 2012
      >paying for antivirus
      >staples as credibility
      >recommending norton

>doesn't even mention malwarebytes

"I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

>nearly 2012
      >paying for antivirus
      >staples as credibility
      >recommending norton

>doesn't even mention malwarebytes

The free version doesn't give you real time protection (MB), the fact you do not know this proves you're fucking clueless. Paying? AVG has a paid version for a reason. So does Mcafee that ensures better protection. Also, Malwayre bytes is fricken awesome, but not recommended as sole usage particularly because of its ‎definition-based scanning which shouldn't be isolated. Staples tech? Yeah, hate on it. 32% tech profit increase from 2010-2011. Read up on Best Buy's. ;) What is your technical background other than playing in your basement?

Norton uses 42% less memory it use to. Norton, a couple years ago was atrocious which some old timers cling to that reputation which even I admit held. That, mixed with Vista and the low RAM the market controlled on common use before windows 7 was a horrendous combination. Although, you might have no idea what I am talking about.

Regardless, most of the time it's human error and no antivirus will have 100% definition based scanning. Mcafee is far worse than Norton, FAR worse.

Edit: ALso, your free avg's biggest flaws is that Rootkit scan is separate from whole computer scan and Phishing and exploit protection less effective than its regular antivirus. 3.5 stars rated all across the board, yeah good fucking advice rofl.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ejayrazz ().

Ejayrazz wrote:

The free version doesn't give you real time protection (MB), the fact you do not know this proves you're fucking clueless.

I don't recall saying Malwarebytes had or didn't have anything. This proves you're fucking illiterate.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Paying? AVG has a paid version for a reason. So does Mcafee that ensures better protection. Also, Malwayre bytes is fricken awesome, but not recommended as sole usage particularly because of its ‎definition-based scanning which shouldn't be isolated.

You can be fully protected with free antivirus. Paying for antivirus protection is retarded.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Staples tech? Yeah, hate on it. 32% tech profit increase from 2010-2011. Read up on Best Buy's. ;) What is your technical background other than playing in your basement?

I don't give a shit about Best Buy.

My technical background? Are we comparing dicks now? Okay, I'll play. How about nearly 20 years working with computers (I remember Windows 95 being new), working full time for a college taking care of the faculty/staff offices and preparing and maintaining student computer labs, as well as working full time for a web design company. Also, I'm just amazing.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Although, you might have no idea what I am talking about.

I do, and I still wouldn't recommend Norton.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Regardless, most of the time it's human error

Exactly, so paying is stupid. Just be careful what you click on/download and use a free antivirus application and you'll be fine.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Edit: ALso, your free avg's biggest flaws is that Rootkit scan is separate from whole computer scan and Phishing and exploit protection less effective than its regular antivirus. 3.5 stars rated all across the board, yeah good fucking advice rofl.

>implying i would recommend avg
      - George Carlin

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Quick question. I get Norton anti-virus free through my internet provider, so I'm not actually paying for it (well, I suppose indirectly I am).

Would you still recommend MSE over Norton, or is Norton fine as long as the subscription is free?

Traditionally, running multiple antivirus programs at the same time isn't a good idea because they don't place nice with each other. I would definitely recommend MSE over Norton, but if your current setup is working for you then don't bother changing things. Plus, you're smart so I doubt you'll actually need your antivirus software.
      - George Carlin

ESET NoD32 is a good one as well, I use it on all the systems I run in the house, as well as recommend it to friends. I also provide free accounts so no one has to pay. :) Paying for AV's is a silly move; especially when it's for crap ones such as AVG..

Ejayrazz wrote:

The free version doesn't give you real time protection (MB), the fact you do not know this proves you're fucking clueless.
      LOL@U

Ejayrazz wrote:

AVG has a paid version for a reason.
      It's also shite.

Ejayrazz wrote:

So does Mcafee that ensures better protection.
      But does it really do what it says on the box? Ummmmm, no. Why? If you don't know why, then you need to back to the drawing board.

Ejayrazz wrote:

Also, Malwayre bytes is fricken awesome, but not recommended as sole usage particularly because of its ‎definition-based scanning which shouldn't be isolated.
      Agreed, and agreed.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look into all of those. I used to have Norton a while ago, and my mom is getting it for her laptop soon, so I'll look into that. And currently my netbook has one of the free ones someone has mentioned. AVG I think. My friend downloaded it when he borrowed it. I also downloaded Bit Defender a while ago. Paid for it and everything, but it didn't download properly. If I remember correctly it turned out to be a corrupt file and the Dell Tech had to get rid of it.

Now, if only the virus didn't crash my laptop five minutes ago. That would be awesome. But, if I get it fixed I'll be looking into what you've suggested. I really appreciate the options. Now I'll just be working on getting my laptop to work again.

Thanks again
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Matt wrote:

Looking via Google is better, but then again it's all about what you enter in the search and what websites you visit. But then again, I don't need to do that for mine. Cause ESET email me accounts for free. ;)
      I would have thought so too, but most results in Google end up being cracks, so I tried YouTube and there's loads of videos with codes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be getting Norton. Though I suggested some of the other things you've all suggested as well, my mom is already buying it for her Dell and it covers three computers, so it's a money issue. I hope it works. As for the virus, we're calling support today now that things with the holidays and work have settled. Thanks again.
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]