Is there any doubt Martin Scorsese is the best director to have ever lived?

• Re: Is there any doubt Martin Scorsese is the best director to have ever lived?

Butthurt Burt wrote:

Spielberg isn't even that good. Most of his movies have aged terribly and all his new ones are shit.

Which ones have aged terribly? Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, The Lost World (not that great but it's far from terrible), Indiana Jones trilogy, Schindler's List, etc. are all still awesome today. I should rewatch Hook since I haven't seen it in 15 years.

And aside from Crystal Skull, what new ones are bad? War Horse, The Adventures of Tintin, Munich, Minority Report, The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, and AI all have 7 or higher on IMDb.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.
    • Re: Is there any doubt Martin Scorsese is the best director to have ever lived?

War Horse and Tintin were so dense and cliche, it was almost hard to watch them. And Jurassic Park, Jaws and Indiana Jones don't hold up in my books because of what they are. They may have awed people with their originality back in the day but has far as character development goes, they're extremely lacking. They just come off as terribly lame.

Catch Me If You Can and Saving Private Ryan are the only Spielberg movies i'd use the word "great" to describe.

So if a movie doesn't have good character development it's not good?

Dude, Jurassic Park is the best dinosaur movie ever made. And Jaws... seriously, how can you not like Jaws? It's also the best shark movie ever made.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

I thought Hook and Jurassic Park 2 were awful, and Minority Report is extremely over-rated. As is all of the Indiana Jones stuff besides Raiders of the Lost Ark. E.T. is over-rated, too.

I do love Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me if You Can and Schindler's List though.

No, if a movie doesn't have character development it doesn't age well with time. And how many dinosaur movies are there? :lol:

I think Spielberg is really good at redefining the movie industry, but not necessarily making amazing movies. Jaws was a landmark thriller movie, the earliest I can think of that actually delivers chilling thrills. And Jurassic Park showed how special effects can be used to create a whole new, mesmerizing world. I honestly don't think Avatar would have even been made if not for Jurassic Park.

Even today, Tintin is the first movie where all the characters were made with incredible motion capture technology which will no doubt be extremely prominent in the future. The problem for me is that Jaws, Jurassic Park and Tintin just really had no soul or emotional value.

Then once in a while Spielberg gives us movies like Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can which are truly great movies that are remembered for their great characters, rather than how they revolutionize the industry.

Butthurt Burt wrote:

No, if a movie doesn't have character development it doesn't age well with time. And how many dinosaur movies are there? :lol:

I don't agree with that at all. A film doesn't require character development to "age well". What does that even mean? And no, there haven't been many dinosaur films, but I mean dinosaurs in films at all. Spielberg pretty much did it the best there ever was. I honestly believe there have been ideas for dinosaur flicks but have ultimately been shot down because some executive realized "it will never be as good as Jurassic Park".

Butthurt Burt wrote:

I think Spielberg is really good at redefining the movie industry, but not necessarily making amazing movies.

I don't think he necessarily makes amazing movies either, save for a few.

Butthurt Burt wrote:

Jaws was a landmark thriller movie, the earliest I can think of that actually delivers chilling thrills.

Jaws did more than just deliver a few chills and thrills. It terrified an entire generation, and some afterward; people were genuinely terrified of sharks and of the ocean after that film came out. Come to think of it, Jaws is probably the scariest movie ever made.

Spielberg (or maybe it was Benchley, I forget) actually regrets making it and has said that if he were to remake the movie, he would make the shark the victim because of the stigma and connotations sharks have, and a lot of it is due to that movie.

Butthurt Burt wrote:

And Jurassic Park showed how special effects can be used to create a whole new, mesmerizing world. I honestly don't think Avatar would have even been made if not for Jurassic Park.

I don't disagree with this at all, but I think Jurassic Park offered a little more than just awesome CGI.

Butthurt Burt wrote:

The problem for me is that Jaws, Jurassic Park and Tintin just really had no soul or emotional value.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Butthurt Burt wrote:

Then once in a while Spielberg gives us movies like Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can which are truly great movies that are remembered for their great characters, rather than how they revolutionize the industry.

I don't think a movie depends entirely on its characters as you do.
      - George Carlin