Which A-levels would you suggest?

• Which A-levels would you suggest?

Well currently I'm in year 11 and am planning to go onto the sixth-form at my school to take A-levels. At the moment I am thinking I would like to take a Law degree at University and so I am wondering what A-levels I should take. At the moment and after talking to the solicitors from the work experience that we had to do for school last year that I need an analytical subjects however sciences and langauges go down well and that Law A-level is always a good back-drop to see if law is something I really want to do and could help in my first year at uni.

This is quite good for me because I really like English lit, Biology and French and I am good at these subujects too which is also a bonus. I'm thinking of taking these on along with Law at A-level and would like to know what other people think or what subjects they might suggest.

Also anyone in uni that could tell me what extra-curricular actvities look good would be quite helpful too. I have my D of E award up to Silver and am taking part in a World Challenge expedition to Peru in the Summer however I would like to know what sort of activites I could do weekly (other than playing an instrument which I already do).

thanks in advance.
    • Re: Which A-levels would you suggest?

i plan to do english lit. history, law and biology.

if your planning on taking law as a careeer i've been told not to take it for a-level because the teachings different than uni and they have to un-teach what you've been told plus you won't be doing much in your first year at uni because you already know it-you should check that out

in one of my college booklets it says the subjects that compliment law are English, Accounting,buisness studies, geography, history,ICT,Psychology,sociology-some of those i don't think you can do at a sixth form though, im suprise you can do law at yours, i can't!

I'm doing D of E too! except on my bronze level still, i think that and a musical instrument will make you look good because it shows that you are interested in extra curricular activites

i really wouldn't worry too much about being able to get in or what a-levels you take i was told to take ones i would enjoy doint the most and would get the best grade in because if your going to uni they'll look at your degree then a levels as a back up
      Nicole = Happiest she's been in a long time:lovey:

Your point on law A-level is quite ibteresting and I'll look into that soon. I might go have a chat with my connexions advisor about it, that might come in helpful and I suppose I could talk to the law teacher at my school.

If like you say law doesn't benefit much at A-level i may think about taking an IT course.

Anyway, nice to have another perspective on the issue :)

yeh i mean taking law at a-level might make it seem that youir deicated and interested in that subject-making it easier for you to get into the uni you want to

its a tough one to decide lol i'd talk with your connexions adviser or carrers teacher at school
      Nicole = Happiest she's been in a long time:lovey:

ok well my friend is wanting to do law, and she took, english, physcology(sp), sociology, biology and french at AS level.

she was told that universities prefer it if u dnt take law at A-level, because something about its a diff syllabus(sp) or something and people who take law at A-level have pre-concieved ideas. but i dont know if thats all unis but thats what she was told.

so yeah just take things that you enjoy, but that will be useful like public services studies or something like that.

im at sixthform in year 12 and im doing Politics and Government 4 my A-levels which can lead u 2 do law in uni. and it has alot of ucas points 4 uni which is good. i didnt do D of E but thers this thing called Young Enterprise which is a boring version but u get more points, the area that i live in every school does it here. im doing it its hard work but worth it if u wanna go 2 a good uni.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

do economics, law, government and politics they should all help, if ur trying to do law you should also consider english literature A-level or at least AS
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]When Google can't find something, it asks Jack Bauer for help[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I'm in the process or arranging an appointment, went to my form tutor the other day so i should get one next week sometime.
      [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
      Who is the lamb and who is the knife
      Midas is king and he holds me so tight
      And turns me to gold in the sunlight
      - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
      [/CENTER]