Same-sex marriage

• Re: Same-sex marriage

i, personally, do not agree with same sex marriage because it goes against what i believe in (religion wise); however, I don't think that gay couples should be denied the right to get married in a church just because it goes against many religious beliefs. They should have equal opportunity to be married in a church if they so choose.

nowreally wrote:

Think about it. You were given away by your own biological parents. You have two dads. You are picked on senseless at school for that, as you get older you realize you have been adopted by two homosexuals and figure out that you don't have a normal family which can cause psychological problems, OR, those parents could raise you up as being a homosexual, OR, in rare cases you could be sexually abused which can lead into more problems.

Think about, how would 5th graders react when they realize you have two dads?

I thought I'd read through this. I get that some people are against gay marriage. I personally am completely for it. Anyway, before I say my thing, let me comment on that ridiculous comment.

1. You're picked on senseless at school.
      When you're young, kids don't know any better, they wouldn't get picked on, and if they did, the teachers are there.
      2. You don't have a 'normal' family, no. But who's to say that's wrong. So if your parents split up, you don't have a 'normal' conventional family, should you be taken away and live a sheltered childhood where you can't experience anything?
      3. You experience psychological problems? No, there will be the odd person, but that's nothing to do with the upbringing, that's the child. If it's because they realise they don't have a 'normal' family, they've grown up with it, they're used to it. If it's they have gay parents, they're going to be more than tolerant of gays as the people they LOVE AND RESPECT are gay.
      4. Raised as a homosexual? Look, it isn't a "I chose you to be gay" thing. Gay people can raise a child just like any other. Just because they witness gays, it doesn't make them gay. I didn't witness much gay activity when I was growing up, I'm gay. Crazy, huh?
      5. Sexually abused? There's the same risk with ANY parents, biological, foster, care-home, adopted, gay, straight. It doesn't matter. There is a small minority of humans that are messed up and abuse children. That risk isn't raised because the parents are gay.
      6. What would 5th graders say? I think if we're trying to move into a multicultural world, we need to face these problems of children, and tell them it's wrong to bully others, for having gay parents or for anything. It would be like anything else.

I'd also just like to add this:
      You don't seem to understand. Gay people are like anyone else. Just because someone's gay, it doesn't make them hump anything alive, it doesn't make them sex addicts, or rapists, or sex offenders.

Gays can love, marriage is just a symbol of someone's love, commitment and relationship. Why does the gender matter?

It's not natural? It's been around since PRE-ancient greece. It's around in most animals. Washing machines aren't natural if you go by that. A loving relationship isn't all about mating, reproduction with humans. We're smart enough to know that... or meant to be :rolleyes:
      If a woman is infertile, she can marry... but wait... she can't reproduce... what's that? she has sex too?! WHAT AN OUTRAG... :nono:

I'd like to add to that, what constitutes a "normal" family? I don't know any normal families. I for one was raised from the age of 9 just by my mum, an alcoholic. That's not normal, yet I'm still a well-adjusted intelligent 19 year old.

I'm sick of hearing the "THEY COULD BE HOMOSEX TOO!!!", nope, that's not how it works. Men are usually born gay, I don't know of many straight men that would just suddenly say to themselves, I might try some penis today. Women tend to choose it, but that's still rare.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHLC06B1DUE&feature=plcp]COMMON SENSE: Homophobes Are Idiots - YouTube[/ame]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4] I Love You Cassie<3
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

As someone who is gay, I don't think it is necessarily a you're born gay sort of thing. I don't think you can be brought up that way either.
      I don't think you can tell with a nine year-old. Sometimes you can't tell with a twenty year-old. I think a person's sexuality develops with their body and mind. When I was 10-11, I loved the ladies. Of course I didn't do anything, I was 10. But I fancied a new girl every week, I never thought "Oh, I fancy boys". But as I've developed as a person, developed my own opinions, different to anyone I know, I have discovered in myself, that I am gay. I wasn't born like it, but I don't necessarily think it was avoidable either. We'll never know really. But I think it's by the thoughts of the person. Not just the sexual thoughts, if you're open minded, it you're loud, I don't think you're born with it.

I think you're born with it, I doubt you just formed the opinion out of no where that you were gay. You were always gay, but growing up, everyone has a crush on girls regardless because you are a child. Its just how it was, but when you "discovered yourself", you found you were gay. It was always there, you just didn't see it.
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

I understand when Christians say that marriage is an act for their religion between only a man and a woman. I get where they're coming from. Except... there's a flaw. America is not a Christian country. There are muslim marriages, atheist marriages, etc. We aren't talking about whether or not a gay couple can step into a church and be married by an ordained priest...

We're talking about the right to share a last name. To be able to claim "married" on your taxes. To be able to be in a person's will. To be able to visit a person in the hospital... We're not talking about the sanctity of your so call "marriage" that Christians think only exists for their religion.

If, as a Christian, someone wants to claim they won't vote for gay marriage because it's supposed to only be between a man and a woman, would you be okay with the government telling the entire country that EVERYONE in the country has to celebrate Eid Mubarak (A Muslim holiday)? Forcing your religion on other people is wrong and when the position is switched and Christians aren't the self-proclaimed rulers of this country, they will get pissed just as everyone else is at them.

This is a long video but it is the saddest video I've ever seen. If you still aren't sure which side to take on this debate, I suggest you watch it.
      youtube.com/embed/pR9gyloyOjM

jost4318 wrote:

marriage is a religious act my religion (christianity) states that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman and many other religions beleive the same thing I dont have a problem with gay people being together i just have aproblem with them engaging in an act that they should not be doing

That statement makes no sense, you can get married, but you just can't have sex. Yeah, that sounds legit.
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]