Popularity and hypocrites (long rant)

• Popularity and hypocrites (long rant)

It is funny how hypocrites are everywhere.

I am a teen, soon to be adult girl from an Asian country. Where I live, girls are encouraged (by the media) to be cute and bubbly little fragile dolls that all guys must run after. I am far from being that. Also, in my country, the prettier you are, the more appreciated you will be. And of course, by pretty, they mean ‘looking White’. So since my father is a white British man, I do have that occidental look and brown wavy hair most North-Asians seem to want. And because of that, I am constantly surrounded by hypocrites.

I go to an all girl-school. It is probably the worst place on Earth, because girls are so dramatic. I remember one day, while I was talking to a few ‘friends’, one told me: ‘You are so pretty! Is there something you hate about how your look?’

After thanking her, I bluntly told her that I don’t think I hate something about myself. I don’t show-off my physical appearance, but I do know that I am considered beautiful so I won’t act fake and modest about it. Next thing I know, she is insulting me.Why? Cause I told her that I was okay with how I looked. Oh really?

One other thing is that I tend to hang out more with boys. When there are events at my school and we can invite friends and family, I always ask the four same guys to come (so I can feel less alone and because they are so fun). One is my best friend, the other, my boyfriend and the two others, two of my really close friends. Whenever they are here, I become the most popular girl at school. All the girls want to talk to me all of a sudden, we hang out together all of a sudden … I meet a bunch of new girls who apparently have been my friends since the first day of High School. All that because of boys … boys!

Also, I am not entirely a tomboy but yes, I do hang out with boys all the time. I like to play sports, video games and other things with them. There is a park in our neighborhood where my closest of friends (including my boyfriend) and I usually play soccer or other sports. Since one girl saw us, a bunch of them would come to play with us. It has been two weeks since my friends and I last did something outside. It sucks, because summer is coming. Now we spend most of our time playing video games. Not complaining, but I do miss doing things outside IN PEACE.
    • Re: Popularity and hypocrites (long rant)

It sounds to me like you have self confidence I think that is great.
      I wish I did. It also sounds like your friends might be a tad bit jealous.
      because you are hanging out with boys and have friends that are boys.

So maybe when you are hanging out with your friends that are guys you could introduce your friends that are girls with your friends that are guys.
    • Re: Popularity and hypocrites (long rant)

which asian country are you from?
      I can understand because I grew up in a similar situation.
      its just jealousy and it usually helos when you go to college and then get a job because you can choose which people to hang out with.
      High school is worst because you have no control over who you are stuck with.

I felt much better after I went to a college that only has kids that grew up overseas, or had mixed cultural backgrounds. :)
      Try to keep your sanity for a few more year, and meanwhile, research which universities and career paths will be good for you and rids you of jealous girls...