Better a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent be imprisoned?

• Re: Better a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent be imprisoned?

Given the infinite number of variables that you could apply to the situation, it makes it difficult to derive a definitive answer. But no matter how you swing it, there's something deeply unsettling about letting an innocent person be imprisoned.

If you have a thousand men guilty of murder, then putting an innocent man in prison (although detestable) seems to be justified. But if we were to swap ratios, would it also be worth putting ten innocent people in prison to keep one mass murderer off the street? At what point do we draw the line?

And on that note, we could relinquish numerous rights in the name of protection from murderers and rapists, such as our right to privacy and our Miranda rights (in the U.S.). It all depends on how far you're willing to go to keep a deadly criminal off the street.

On the whole I tend to agree with Blackstone's formulation. "Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better have 999 innocent people imprisoned than free 1000 guilty men. I would willingly be one of the innocent imprisoned if it meant just one murderer off the streets and away from the people I care about.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Ziggs wrote:

I would willingly be one of the innocent imprisoned if it meant just one murderer off the streets

even if it mean serving 30+ years in jail for something you didn't do? i doubt it.

Both hypothetical situations suck but i kind of agree with LukaAdvocate and the Blackstonian's law. even though some people might consider our justice system right now as flawed (as clearly seen in the movie Law Abiding Citizen), letting a guilty person walk free is still better than taking an innocent person's freedom, when theres a reasonable doubt if they committed the crime or not.

our justice system is better like this, even though it has a few holes. But then again, no justice system can ever expect to be perfect. I think it's better to lean on the safe side than to have another Salem Witch Trial occur, where we crazily try to keep all criminals off the streets without following due process or granting minimal rights to the defendant
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 12 times, last by Papa Bear ().

vigilante wrote:

Rather see an innocent in jail than a murderer go free. I don't even understand how this is debatable or how you can say let the guilty murderer go free.

Of course no body wants to see a guilty person walk free, but think about it more and look past the question i asked. it all goes to the root of how far you're willing to prove if he's guilty or not. even if it means violating some of your rights? violating due process? their miranda right?
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Seriously? Google "prison industrial complex." You're welcome.

Our prisons are full to the brim with pot smokers and black people who went to jail for being black. A large majority of violent criminals in this country are walking free on the streets right now. Either because they haven't been caught yet or were let free because THE SYSTEM IS EXTREMELY FLAWED. I seriously hope you guys don't think the criminal "justice" system is like those crime dramas where the police and FBI have Superman-like powers and every criminal they arrest is always "the right guy" and that there's absolutely NO possibility of DNA evidence being faked or misinterpreted.

"Justice" is all politics and leans heavily in the favor of the wealthy. I would think this would be pretty fucking obvious by now.

Oh, and the police carry guns to "protect and serve" themselves, not you.

rmg126 wrote:

I seriously hope you guys don't think the criminal "justice" system is like those crime dramas where the police and FBI have Superman-like powers and every criminal they arrest is always "the right guy" and that there's absolutely NO possibility of DNA evidence being faked or misinterpreted.

police is corrupt, we know that. the whole justice system would be even more corrupt if we didn't have due process. unfortunately due process, and other rights for the defendant is also what keeps guilty people walking free
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Papa Bear wrote:

Of course no body wants to see a guilty person walk free, but think about it more and look past the question i asked. it all goes to the root of how far you're willing to prove if he's guilty or not. even if it means violating some of your rights? violating due process? their miranda right?

i'm just saying I'd rather not let a person who is going to be a disgrace to society back into society

rmg126 wrote:

Seriously? Google "prison industrial complex." You're welcome.

Our prisons are full to the brim with pot smokers and black people who went to jail for being black. A large majority of violent criminals in this country are walking free on the streets right now. Either because they haven't been caught yet or were let free because THE SYSTEM IS EXTREMELY FLAWED. I seriously hope you guys don't think the criminal "justice" system is like those crime dramas where the police and FBI have Superman-like powers and every criminal they arrest is always "the right guy" and that there's absolutely NO possibility of DNA evidence being faked or misinterpreted.

"Justice" is all politics and leans heavily in the favor of the wealthy. I would think this would be pretty fucking obvious by now.

1.) our prisons are not full to the brim with pot smokers. that would be jails. there's a huge difference. people in prisons are convicted felons. people in jail are awaiting trial. is racism a part of the problem? yes, but it's so overplayed. that random nice black gentleman that gets put in jail for racism is so overplayed. it does not happen that often. most blacks that are arrested are doing something wrong. this is not that movie "Crash" irl.

2.) they haven't been caught yet because they haven't been caught yet. sometimes the criminal gets away.

3.) you can't expect everyone that is charged with a crime that actually did the crime. sometimes they go on things called evidence that supports the arrest. do you think cops just arrest people for no reason? no. they need a warrant usually. and that comes with probable cause or evidence. lets get real here.

Papa Bear wrote:

police is corrupt, we know that. the whole justice system would be even more corrupt if we didn't have due process. unfortunately due process, and other rights for the defendant is also what keeps guilty people walking free

power always gives people the edge to be more corrupt. police have a lot of power, but not all of them are assholes. there are nice cops out there. remember they are mostly just doing their jobs. if it wasn't for cops there would be no rules and there'd be anarchy. we need people that try to enforce the law. they are not perfect, but one day you will need a cop for something.

rmg126 wrote:

Except that in practice, rule of law and due process don't exist.

As to the original question, that was my point. The innocent people are already in jail, and the guilty are already walking free.

are you really this retarded? of course more innocent people are in jail. they have not been charged to the fullest extent and are awaiting trial. u need to learn definition of prisons and jails.

Laddergoat. wrote:

Which is fucking retarded, locking up pot smokers, its stupid.

like it or not, smoking pot is against the law. don't blame the police, blame your congressman.

JC wrote:

Not to mention the fact that prison isn't really a crime deterrent. . .
      Yeah. This justice system is fucked.

prison isn't a crime deterrent? maybe to retards but smart people out there try to avoid prison
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

I worded it wrong.
      My bad.
      Longer sentences and a higher number of incarcerations have been proven to not be crime deterrents, I believe.
      It doesn't work very well, or at least as well as it should/people believe it does.
      Hello JC - Cade