Dad doesn't seem interested in meeting boyfriend

• Dad doesn't seem interested in meeting boyfriend

I have two older sisters and an older brother. (they're all married and moved out though) So I am sure my dad has gone through meeting boyfriends and girlfriends a many of times. My parents got divorced when I was younger so when I bring up meeting my boyfriend it's not like my mum can come to my rescue to support me or something.

In fact, my mum already knows about my boyfriend and she is pretty overjoyed. But my parents rarely talk...they basically hate each other.

I told my dad about my boyfriend on Saturday. We talked for a little while, and its Sunday now. All he wanted to know is that this guy isn't some jerk and that I don't lose focus on college plans.

Earlier, he seemed in a good mood and was watching a movie...so I decided to bring up my boyfriend again. I brought him up trying to get a conversation going hoping it would eventually lead to him wanting to meet the guy...but no such luck. My dad didn't really keep it going. So I waited about 20 minutes and brought him up again.

I said something like, "Hey dad, when you do you wanna meet ____?"

He got defensive a bit and said, "I don't know, why do you keep bringing him up?" Then he asked me how old my boyfriend was again and how I met him. (i already told him all this yesterday though...)

I am frustrated because to me, it seems as if he's not interested in who I'm dating. /:
      Am I right to think that way? Or...:confused:

The post was edited 1 time, last by noodle ().

• Re: Dad doesn't seem interested in meeting boyfriend

CocaineCowboy wrote:

I don't think he has to actually want you to bring your new boyfriend over, you should just bring him over like any other friend you bring to your house

^ This. You don't have to keep bugging your dad about him, bringing him up all the time.
      [CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

my dads the same and my advice would be to stop bringing it up and talk about your boyfriend with your mum instead. it doesnt necessarily mean hes not interested, remember youll always be his little girl and itll be weird for him to see another guy looking after you.
      [SIZE="2"][CENTER][FONT="Arial Narrow"]@craneyy
      [COLOR="Red"]♥[/COLOR]animals, rap music, nights out[COLOR="Red"]♥[/COLOR][/CENTER][/FONT][/SIZE]

...Jess... wrote:

my dads the same and my advice would be to stop bringing it up and talk about your boyfriend with your mum instead. it doesnt necessarily mean hes not interested, remember youll always be his little girl and itll be weird for him to see another guy looking after you.

That's true. But my parents are divorced...my mom knows and has met my boyfriend a many of times already . >~<

Should I just ask my dad one day and be like, "Hey dad, can I go hang out with -boyfriend's name here-?" ...lol.

noodle wrote:

Should I just ask my dad one day and be like, "Hey dad, can I go hang out with -boyfriend's name here-?" ...lol.

No, stop being annoying about it and just bring the guy over. If need be, say to your dad "hey, [guy] is coming over now, I'd like you to meet him finally!", guy arrives, introduce them. Chances are your dad will make an effort to strike up conversation with him once he's there, OR, give them something to talk about (for example, if your dad likes carpentry and your guy is studying it, say "[guy], this is my dad, [his name]. Dad, this is [guy]. [Guy] is studying Carpentry at Blank College!"— you see what I'm saying?). Stop beating around the bush, just do it. Make sure it's at a convenient time (like not right before the hockey game ;)) so he won't be wanting to brush him off.

meg.loomis wrote:

No, stop being annoying about it and just bring the guy over. If need be, say to your dad "hey, [guy] is coming over now, I'd like you to meet him finally!", guy arrives, introduce them. Chances are your dad will make an effort to strike up conversation with him once he's there, OR, give them something to talk about (for example, if your dad likes carpentry and your guy is studying it, say "[guy], this is my dad, [his name]. Dad, this is [guy]. [Guy] is studying Carpentry at Blank College!"— you see what I'm saying?). Stop beating around the bush, just do it. Make sure it's at a convenient time (like not right before the hockey game ;)) so he won't be wanting to brush him off.

THIS. Most dads just assume their daughter doesn't want them to meet their bf. Just bring the dude over or flat out say you'd like him to meet him. You're making it much more complex than it needs to be...
      [COLOR="black"]When I'm not fighting mountain lions for sport, I read about broken homes, teenage depression, and other such life-improving awesomeness cause I'm weird like that[/COLOR]