School doesn't allow pregnant girls and requires pregnancy tests

• School doesn't allow pregnant girls and requires pregnancy tests

I heard this on the radio the other day and was wondering what you guys think about it? This is a large charter school in Louisiana I think

I personally support this new rule because it will save lives in the long run. The life of the pregnant girl who will be able to go to college and get a great education and the life of the baby who would most likely grow up in a financially unstable family or get put in an adoption center if he/she is born

The post was edited 5 times, last by V1NC3 ().

• Re: School doesn't allow pregnant girls and requires pregnancy tests

Who cares what you think is the appropriate way to handle the situation? It's not anyone's decision, but the parents of that soon to be child.

Most people fail to acknowledge the other side to pro-choice because when most people hear pro-choice, the first thing that comes to mind is abortion. However, pro-choice can also mean making the decision to be responsible for your own actions and taking care of that baby. The whole ordeal is actually really hypocritical when you think about it, because aren't schools made for education? The fact that this school is discriminating against pregnant women by not allowing them to get an education is completely flawed.

One of your arguments was that it would be better for the mom because she could go to college and get an education.... well, why shouldn't she be allowed to do both go to college and take care of her baby? It might be hard, but it's not impossible. Not allowing pregnant girls to go to their school and receive an education demonstrates that the school's administration obviously does not have faith in their students and their capabilities.

At least when your family fails you, people have teachers and counselors to turn to for support and guidance. I just think it's ridiculous how any school administration wouldn't want to help and guide their kids into the right direction by working with their students individually to find an alternative so that this one "accident" won't ruin their education, and more importantly their future as well as their child's.

The post was edited 4 times, last by wtfhappened ().

V1NC3 wrote:

I personally support this new rule because it will save lives in the long run. The life of the pregnant girl who will be able to go to college and get a great education and the life of the baby who would most likely grow up in a financially unstable family or get put in an adoption center if he/she is born

How is kicking pregnant girls out of school going to save lives? I highly doubt that it's that much of an incentive for people to be safer in the first place, and it's not forcing anyone into an abortion. If the mother is kicked out of school and ends up having the baby, everyone is actually worse off. The better thing to do would be increasing or strengthening sex education.

I'm assuming this is what this is all about, and the article makes a great point - nothing is being done to punish the fathers.

Scaredycrow wrote:

nothing is being done to punish the fathers.

not only this, but what you said before. it shouldn't even be about punishing. denying them education is just gonna make it worse for everybody in the long run.

Also, if this is a public school we're talking about, I don't think this is possible. the school has no right to discriminate certain people like that.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I do believe something should be done with the fathers too to make it fair and I know it is wrong to kick out pregnant girls, but in the end, common sense would prevail and tell you "Hey, I should not be getting pregnant if I want an education." So the numbers will surely decrease. I know some people are saying that the pregnant teen can attend college too along with taking care of the baby, but that just doesn't happen. Most of them do not go to college

Also, statistics show that young marriages are the most unstable marriages in this day and age. So the relationship between the father and mother is not likely to last. That would really suck for the child

V1NC3 wrote:

I do believe something should be done with the fathers too to make it fair and I know it is wrong to kick out pregnant girls, but in the end, common sense would prevail and tell you "Hey, I should not be getting pregnant if I want an education." So the numbers will surely decrease. I know some people are saying that the pregnant teen can attend college too along with taking care of the baby, but that just doesn't happen. Most of them do not go to college

Also, statistics show that young marriages are the most unstable marriages in this day and age. So the relationship between the father and mother is not likely to last. That would really suck for the child

That's bullshit! Just because some girls are too stupid to do something good for themselves and go to college doesn't mean that the opportunity shouldn't exist. You are generalizing, and all generalizations are bad.

And about the marriage thing..... The more generations you go back, the more taboo it was to get a divorce. The reason things have changed so drastically now is because people care less about how they are presented to others. People finally started think for themselves. I mean, you can look at other countries, especially middle eastern countries, where arranged marriage is still present, and see that even these girls who get married as young as 16 years old don't get divorces, even if their husband is a piece of shit, because it's just not socially accepted over there. Divorces are just more evident in this day and age. It has very little to do with age.

But that's beyond the point, shitty parents are inevitable.

wtfhappened wrote:

That's bullshit! Just because some girls are too stupid to do something good for themselves and go to college doesn't mean that the opportunity shouldn't exist. You are generalizing, and all generalizations are bad.

And about the marriage thing..... The more generations you go back, the more taboo it was to get a divorce. The reason things have changed so drastically now is because people care less about how they are presented to others. People finally started think for themselves. I mean, you can look at other countries, especially middle eastern countries, where arranged marriage is still present, and see that even these girls who get married as young as 16 years old don't get divorces, even if their husband is a piece of shit, because it's just not socially accepted over there. Divorces are just more evident in this day and age. It has very little to do with age.

But that's beyond the point, shitty parents are inevitable.

I'm not generalizing, the statistics are worst than you think. 1/3 of pregnant teens graduate from high school and by age 30, only 1.5% of them has had some sort of college education. Our government also spends 7 billion dollars every year on teen pregnancies. A large number of that is due to how 50% of teen mothers go on welfare within the first year of becoming a mom. Talk about money, a lot of these pregnant teens are already financially unstable, then they just feed off more money from the government. I'm saying you are not exactly a part of the solution if you're involved in this

Here is the source for those statistics btw

V1NC3 wrote:

I'm not generalizing, the statistics are worst than you think. 1/3 of pregnant teens graduate from high school and by age 30, only 1.5% of them has had some sort of college education. Our government also spends 7 billion dollars every year on teen pregnancies. A large number of that is due to how 50% of teen mothers go on welfare within the first year of becoming a mom. Talk about money, a lot of these pregnant teens are already financially unstable, then they just feed off more money from the government. I'm saying you are not exactly a part of the solution if you're involved in this

Here is the source for those statistics btw

1/3 girls is a lot! And most of which don't go to college because they are financially unstable. One of my biggest arguments in my first post was that the school should help in guiding her in the right direction, which is education, and finding alternatives to making it work. Just because this school says you can't come to school here if you are having a baby does not necessarily mean that girl will not have her baby. It just means that she's not allowed to get an education.

Also, what's wrong if she does feed money off the government? It's actually made for people in a tough situation like this. My problem with people feeding off the government is the fact that most of them don't need it or spend their money on other things like drugs. However, I also believe that it's impossible to have a perfect system. My point is if you are financially unstable and have a kid, then I do not believe you are abusing the system, and I don't mind paying taxes to keep a mother with her child.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

austin19994 wrote:

You gotta have sex with a really drunk girl so when she gets pregnant, she doesn't know who the father is which means you're safe :)

gu d method. i cri evrytim

V1NC3 wrote:

The problem is that I'm fairly sure people know that getting pregnant makes it more difficult to get an education. I don't think it's safe to assume that this rule will deter people from getting pregnant, and if it doesn't, then it is worse for everyone in the long run.

You mentioned that the US has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy, which some people have linked with an emphasis on abstinence-only sex education, rather than educating about safe sex. This school's policy seems to send the "abstinence-only" message, and I really don't think it will be effective.

If you are worried about unstable marriages and a lack of education about pregnant teens, there's better solutions. Maybe the school could still test for pregnancy under reasonable suspicion, and if someone is found to be pregnant they must attend counselling that helps them deal with their situation and encourages them to stay in school. (A similar analogy would be how my workplace can do drug testing under reasonable suspicion, but if you're found to be on drugs you aren't immediately fired - you get help, even if it's forced. What good does firing someone do?)

V1NC3 wrote:

I don't think I can add on anything without repeating my argument. So I'm just gonna say you guys should watch the TV show 16 and pregnant. It's fun seeing teenage mothers getting their lives fucked up. That show never ends on a happy note

And I don't think there's much I can say without repeating my argument, either. :lol: No one is saying that teenage pregnancy is a good thing. But kicking teenage mothers out of school (because pregancies will happen, regardless) is only going to mess their lives up more.

A girl got pregnant in my high school one time. All 3000 students looked down and laughed at her because that rarely happens in my area. Anyone involved in a teen pregnancy is most likely poor and uneducated

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Back on the thread topic though, I would support pregnant teens (and the father involved too) getting kicked out of the school just because it would lower the number of teen moms and stress more on how important a good education is

Yesterday, I was about to leave to hang out with my friends for the day. I didn't feel like making a real reply. So here it goes:

I think the school can require pregnancy tests, but they don't have to kick the girl or guy out. The school should force them to take a sex ed course or counselling sessions, something that will show the people involved in a teen pregnancy the horrors of what it is like to have to deal with a baby at such a young age... and the options they have for protection during sexual intercourse if they didn't already know that. There should also be moral support provided if the teen decides to keep the baby because statistics show that most teen moms drop out of school

@wtfhappened Just having a high school education is not enough to achieve financial stability in this world right now. People need some sort of college degree

V1NC3 wrote:

I think the school can require pregnancy tests, but they don't have to kick the girl or guy out. The school should force them to take a sex ed course or counselling sessions, something that will show the people involved in a teen pregnancy the horrors of what it is like to have to deal with a baby at such a young age... and the options they have for protection during sexual intercourse if they didn't already know that. There should also be moral support provided if the teen decides to keep the baby because statistics show that most teen moms drop out of school

Most, but not all. That small percentage that do stay on may go on to be successful career women, making their life easier as a single mum. Perhaps it is only the minority of them, but it still makes a huge difference to their individual lives (and that of the child's). At the end of the day, the right for a pregnant woman to go to college and complete her education should be there without question. If the mum decides to drop out and 'ruin her life', it's her decision to do so - the school shouldn't be making that decision for her.

By the way, how do they manage rape cases? If a woman is raped, gets pregnant and yet wants to follow through with her education, is the right suddenly taken away from her because of that one incident that wasn't even her fault?
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="2"][CENTER][SIZE="2"] Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional! [/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

The post was edited 2 times, last by hannah63 ().