I'm in a bit of a tough situation.

• I'm in a bit of a tough situation.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules here.

So, I used to attend a Sunday school type of deal at the church my parents took me to. And in my class, there was this really beautiful girl. I had…have, a huge crush on her. I didn’t talk to her for a while, until two years ago. She was very friendly and easy to talk to. So I got less nervous around her. But I was still too afraid to ask her out. The class eventually ended with summer arriving, and we went our separate ways.

The following year, this past one, I was stuck in the class again. Luckily, she was also there. Every day after class, I would stand with her by the door to the outside of the building while she waited for her ride to show up. I just shyly made small talk. I guess over the course of a summer, I lost my nerve.

Somewhere along the lines, I became an atheist. It took me a while, but I opened up to my parents about it. They were both fairly okay with it. (My mother more than my father.) However, I had to ask them if I could continue the classes, even though I don’t believe any of it. My father was furious, but my mother, who I live with most of the time, allowed it.

So I continued nonchalantly attending classes. I admit it got very hard keeping my mouth shut while the teacher spewed inane garbage. But I held my own for most of the year. Until one fateful day, I was not in the best of moods. And the teacher started telling the class how horrible abortion is, even if the victim is raped. I guess I lost control and before I knew it, we were in a heated arguement. Looking back on it, while I was the more reasonable one, that was stupid of me.

Anyway, from that day onward, the girl stopped talking to me. She avoided eye contact. When I stood by and waited for her, she would walk in the woman’s restroom and wouldn’t come out until her parents showed up. After a few days of this, I grew angry. I figured she must be avoiding me because of what I said. And I decided she must really be a stuck up bitch under her kind exterior. After I came to this conclusion, I stopped attending the classes. There was no point anymore. This was a few months ago. Now, as I think harder about it (it’s sad that I’m not over her), I feel convinced I over reacted. And I want to try again. However, we don’t attend the same school, and there are no more Sunday classes for people our age. The only conceivable time would be in church. But even then, she always attended with her family. There isn’t any real “alone time” I guess. I would have no problem returning to church every Sunday if it meant I could at least see her again. But I don’t know if it’d be worth it.
    • Re: I'm in a bit of a tough situation.

You had a crush, you will have many more before you die. Trust me. You screwed this one up, you'll screw up many more times before you die. BUT what you can do is learn from what you did wrong and use it as experience as it will help you for future events. Hell, I even try extreme things sometimes just to see if they work and how they react towards what I do. Eventually you'll get a better feel towards acting around women you are attracted to and you'll catch your beauty right up and live happily ever after. But until then, keep trying padawan.

Well there you go. An entire summer of fretting and anger, waiting for the answer to come to me, and there it is, give up. An answer I should've thought of on my own if I didn't harbor so much hope. And I don't even really believe in hope. I just allowed this one mental treat. But even the advice forum, my one saving grace, had the ever present answer that I just couldn't accept. "You fucked up". So simple. I'm not angry at you, don't think I am. You are just telling the truth. I'm furious at myself for being such an idiot.

Hipster wrote:

So basically, "she's a Christian that got offended that you voiced your own opinion over a morbid subject, that must make her a bitch."
      it doesn't.

Thank you. I know, I realize. I realized it a while ago. I thought I wrote that. But rub it in a little more. Because that's what I really need.

EDIT: Yes, I did. I wrote it that I'm aware I was an idiot! "This was a few months ago. Now, as I think harder about it (it’s sad that I’m not over her), I feel convinced I over reacted." I wonder if you chose not to read on. If you just read up to that, scrolled down and saw how upset I was at the fact that I had completely ruined everything, and just decided to open the wound wider and dump salt down inside.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Nevermore1: Because I deserve a little credit. ().

Nevermore wrote:

Well there you go. An entire summer of fretting and anger, waiting for the answer to come to me, and there it is, give up. An answer I should've thought of on my own if I didn't harbor so much hope. And I don't even really believe in hope. I just allowed this one mental treat. But even the advice forum, my one saving grace, had the ever present answer that I just couldn't accept. "You fucked up". So simple. I'm not angry at you, don't think I am. You are just telling the truth. I'm furious at myself for being such an idiot.

Well, I was not on the forum for over a year. I saw your post and saw that no one had replied, so I decided to, as I used to help a lot in this forum during my high school years.

And trust me, wait till you hit university or post-high school, you'll be meeting attractive women left and right if you are social.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ComplicatedMind ().

ComplicatedMind wrote:

Well, I was not on the forum for over a year. I saw your post and saw that no one had replied, so I decided to, as I used to help a lot in this forum during my high school years.

And trust me, wait till you hit university or post-high school, you'll be meeting attractive women left and right if you are social.

Well thank you for replying. And delivering the hard truth.

ComplicatedMind wrote:

Are you scared of her parents? I'm sure they aren't aliens or some magical shit that you should be afraid of.

Of course not! Don't patronize me, I hate that. I'm sorry. Some people just prefer talking one on one so that they don't feel pressured into saying or not saying something. That's why a lot of people don't try to make conversation with their crushes when they're in a circle of friends. And it is exceptionally hard for someone like me who just isn't very good at interacting in social situations.

honestly, that sucks. i mostly agree with the first post. there's not much you can do about it now, but there are more girls to come... girls that you will have more in common with. i've been in a situation kind of similar in the way of i really liked this guy, we hooked up, and then got in a fight over something stupid(which i regret) and then didn't hang out again until a year later over spring break..... it had been an entire year and i still liked him. but after we hung out, talked and just laughed about stupid shit, i finally got a little closure. we're now on good terms and even though he has a girlfriend, i'm just glad to have him as a friend, ya know?

so i guess my best advice would be to go to church and talk to her. even if nothing is resolved, at least you can say you tried.

The post was edited 1 time, last by wtfhappened ().

Before I launch into some crazy advice that may be of no use to you at all I'd firstly like to say cheers for standing up for what you believe. I don't know the girl, she may not be a bitch at all, but if the reason for her avoidance was because you voiced an opposing opinion then she's not very 'Christian-like'... or maybe she is.

Point is from what you've told us, you haven't done anything wrong - so don't feel guilty if you do. If you truly believe that your contact with the girl is worth saving then you've got to prioritize going through that, I guess awkwardness, when asking her to talk in front of her parents over hiding to avoid it. If she's not worth the contact, then don't prioritize anything.
      Everyone are right when they say you'll find other girls and it's good that you know this. My best and almost cliche advice would be to do two things:
      1. Decide whether she's worth that 'awkward moment' at church
      2. Pursue, or don't pursue.

Good luck!

Maybe it's time to get over her? Seems like you didn't know her that well, so it's not such a massive loss and at the end of the day of she's such a strong minded christian whilst you're such a strong minded atheist a relationship between the two of you could end in lots of bitter arguments and clashes over basic things. There are plenty more girls out there who are probably much better suited to you, maybe this one's really beautiful, but at the end of the day she's a mistake you can learn from

Thank you to the people who at least tried to help. That's what advice forums are for, after all.

ComplicatedMind wrote:

Excuses, excuses, excuses. That's all I'm reading.

When you've seen people for what they really are, you might understand why I'm cautious. You know, not all of us can throw it to the wind without being really uncomfortable. You are a prime example here. You don't understand that some people aren't as socially skilled as you. You just assume I don't really care. Would I really bother making this thread if this whole thing didn't matter to me? Me? Here, let me enlighten you on myself. I have some serious trust issues with other people. I'm a paranoid individual and I go out of my way to do everything on my own. But I just found myself too ignorant on the subject. And believe me, I tried every dating advice column I could use. But here I am. No, not excuses. More like everything that's been on my mind for a pretty long time. And a lot of damn effort. If you can't realize that some people just aren't as well versed as you in these situations, then stop trying to give advice.