(Christianity) When you go to heaven.

• Re: (Christianity) When you go to heaven.

episkopos wrote:

The best place to do a research about heaven if you asked me is in the Bible not google. The Bible says there is a place called heaven so it should also have facts about what to expect there, what it has the like.
      In heaven you cannot marry another person because Revelations 18:23, 21:2, 21:9 and 22:17 especially talk about the relationship that exist in heaven.
      The church becomes the bride and God is the bridegroom so you won't have to have sex. You are married to God!

you won't have to have sex. You are married to God!

What'll I do then for fun? ;).
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Feel free to PM me anytime about anything![/SIZE][SIZE=7][SIZE=6]
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=4][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

I think you should just forget about all those things you've `heard´, usually they're wrong .

Basically , body does not go to heaven , your spirit does ..And it's really hard for us people to understand most of the things about heaven and stuff ..

Example ..I'm Catholic and Catholics believe in Trinity and I can't seem to understand how come that 3 are 1 ..It's just confusing ..

But I accepted the fact that I , as a human being , can't understand everything ..

So you should too , relax , don't think so much about it :)

LazyZombieFreak wrote:

Basically , body does not go to heaven , your spirit does ..And it's really hard for us people to understand most of the things about heaven and stuff ...

Body is resurrected: it is stated in the Book of Revelation 20:4-15 (the last book of the Bible; in Italian it's called Apocalypse of John, ), which says that after a lot of... Foreplay... Jesus will come to the Earth and 24 sages will judge for "worthy" souls to rule the Earth alongside Christ. After a thousand years, the meanwhile banished Satan will come back and be defeated and the dead would rise to be judged a second time.
      Of course, as Galileo Galilei stated in his letters, the Bible was written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit (which... Inspired, didn't dictate) who also had to make it understandable for people of their era and must therefore be interpreted (that's why, for example, even if the Bible says that the creation, from the universe to the human being, took place in six days, the Church accepts scientific theories that have it lasting billions of years).

Anyway, I would suggest the OP and anyone interested in the subject of the topic to read the Divine Comedy (simply look for "Divine Comedy pdf" and you'll find it). It is a poem written around 1310-1320 by Dante Alighieri and it's the story of a "dream" he had in which he had to pass through Hell, Purgatory and Paradise to wake up (to put it simple). Dante was a virtuous politician and poet; some of religious and philosophical interpretations are quite marvellous especially when he describes the Paradise and how the souls therein behave.
      I could write a summary of such theory (if you want me to, just ask) but it would be better understood after a first-hand view of the whole opera (which I admit could take quite a while, given its length and... Well, I don't know if in English it's any better, but in Italian it's quite an archaic dialect).

The post was edited 3 times, last by Lurtz ().

ItsMee wrote:

If you prefer to leave it and find out when you die, are you not afraid that there will be no heaven? I know that's a stupid way to put it because if there is a heaven we'll be all happy and live happily ever after but if there is no heaven then you can't be scared because you'll be dead. It's creepy in a way but bad because you then have to live by 'make the most of your life because today could be your last day'. It's scary. O_o :o.

That's why people who are afraid to face death choose to believe in Heaven. It's an escape route, and apparently it's the same for you too.
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."

Heaven is not this world. Anyone who says that you will get every worldly desire in heaven, is lying. Your worldly desires do not belong in heaven. Many times in the New Testament, we are urged to do away with fleshly desires and rely on the Holy Spirit. Therefore, while it is highly unlikely that there will be sex in heaven, given that sex is a reproductive measure as well as a part of marriage, which is a foreshadowing of the relationship between Christ and His church at the end times. Basically, heaven is better than sex, and you won't have any desire to have sex while you're in heaven.
      - Ghukek

AdamUK wrote:

It's amazing what people will believe if they are taught it from a young age.

Coming from a very secular background in an increasingly secular country, it amazes me how so many intelligent people can believe in this stuff. No offence intended here, just my view on the world!
      Let me see if I have this right. You start off by disparaging the concept of a religious upbringing, because it apparently makes "so many intelligent people believe in this stuff." Then, in the very next sentence, you begin your conclusion by attesting that you personally come from a very secular background.
      In other words, you're admitting to being just as biased as those who you are trying to discredit.

So you're essentially implying that it's not acceptable for people to be exposed to a religious background at a young age, but it is reasonable to be raised with a secular background. That's being hypocritical.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Let me see if I have this right. You start off by disparaging the concept of a religious upbringing, because it apparently makes "so many intelligent people believe in this stuff." Then, in the very next sentence, you begin your conclusion by attesting that you personally come from a very secular background. In other words, you're admitting to being just as biased as those who you are trying to discredit.

So you're essentially implying that it's not acceptable for people to be exposed to a religious background at a young age, but it is reasonable to be raised with a secular background. That's being hypocritical.

I was literally about to say that... lol.
      - Ghukek

episkopos wrote:

The best place to do a research about heaven if you asked me is in the Bible not google. The Bible says there is a place called heaven so it should also have facts about what to expect there, what it has the like.
      In heaven you cannot marry another person because Revelations 18:23, 21:2, 21:9 and 22:17 especially talk about the relationship that exist in heaven.
      The church becomes the bride and God is the bridegroom so you won't have to have sex. You are married to God!

Plus, marriage is "till death do us part." If your dead, then marriage can not happen. Im not sure if thats in one of those revelations since ive never read a bible, but I felt it needed to be said.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Let me see if I have this right. You start off by disparaging the concept of a religious upbringing, because it apparently makes "so many intelligent people believe in this stuff." Then, in the very next sentence, you begin your conclusion by attesting that you personally come from a very secular background. In other words, you're admitting to being just as biased as those who you are trying to discredit.

I don't really see what you mean here. Are you implying people are brainwashed in a secular upbringing to the extent they are with a religious one? Telling your kids "there's probably no god, but feel free to figure it out for yourself" is secular. How is that equal to "there is a god and if you don't believe in him you're going to hell" ?

Seems to be a slight false equivalence going on there.

Ghukek wrote:

Heaven is not this world. Anyone who says that you will get every worldly desire in heaven, is lying. Your worldly desires do not belong in heaven. Many times in the New Testament, we are urged to do away with fleshly desires and rely on the Holy Spirit. Therefore, while it is highly unlikely that there will be sex in heaven, given that sex is a reproductive measure as well as a part of marriage, which is a foreshadowing of the relationship between Christ and His church at the end times. Basically, heaven is better than sex, and you won't have any desire to have sex while you're in heaven.

Ya but in Islam it is said that a martyr will get 72 virgins. I don't know if it is meant symbolically or literally.

imchamp wrote:

Ya but in Islam it is said that a martyr will get 72 virgins. I don't know if it is meant symbolically or literally.

Islam isn't Christianity...

I don't really see what you mean here. Are you implying people are brainwashed in a secular upbringing to the extent they are with a religious one? Telling your kids "there's probably no god, but feel free to figure it out for yourself" is secular. How is that equal to "there is a god and if you don't believe in him you're going to hell" ?

To be fair, secularists rarely say "there is probably no god, but feel free to figure it out for yourself." The theory of evolution is taught like fact in schools and most atheists mock the idea of theism. Also, I was not raised like "there is a god and if you don't believe in him you're going to hell." I was given the evidence and it has been my own decision to remain theistic based on my own research.
      - Ghukek

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

He never said he thinks his secular background is "reasonable", just that he has experience coming from a secular background. I think he was more implying that he disagrees with the beliefs he has been exposed to, which is fair enough. I spent 8 years at a Catholic school and all it did was confirm that I didn't want to be Catholic.

Ari Gold wrote:

Seems to be a slight false equivalence going on there.
      I'm saying there are extremists on both sides.

I have no doubt that many children are raised under the ideology that if they don't believe in God, they go to hell. I also have no doubt that there are atheists out there who raise their children the exact opposite; that God and religion are a load of bull and only bigots believe in such fairy tales.

Are there more children being raised under a religious background than a secular background? Sure. But when the majority the country is associated with some form of religion, that's not really a fair comparison. As secularism continues to grow, and each generation becomes more secular, so will the number of children influenced by it.

Eminemaniac wrote:

He never said he thinks his secular background is "reasonable", just that he has experience coming from a secular background. I think he was more implying that he disagrees with the beliefs he has been exposed to, which is fair enough. I spent 8 years at a Catholic school and all it did was confirm that I didn't want to be Catholic.
      He said it amazed him "how so many intelligent people can believe in this stuff," and he associated that belief with what people are taught at a young age.
      He then continued by implying his dissent to such a belief, based on the premise of his own secular background.

That's like me saying "you're only Republican because you were brainwashed by conservative parents. Me, having been raised vehemently Democratic since birth, have a hard time understanding why you believe such nonsense."
      I'm blaming you for the same thing I'm guilty of, which is exactly what Adam is doing.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]