How to reduce the number of killings in the U.S.

• How to reduce the number of killings in the U.S.

Some of you may not realize this at first since you are safe in your current location, but people killing each other is a HUGE problem in the United States. In fact, in just 12 neighborhoods in the city of Chicago, there are 419 killings on average every year. That is more than the yearly average death toll of U.S. and NATO troops combined in the war in Afghanistan. It is not uncommon for thousands of children around the United States to wake up on a weekday morning to a shootout going on between criminals/gangs and cops. This greatly puts their future at risk

In total, there are 18,000 homicide cases every year on average according to the CDC, but people charged with manslaughter aren't even factored into that. We all know a lot of those manslaughter tailed cases actually involved murder, so lets up that number to around 21,000 killings, most involving a gun. So gun laws do tie into this to a certain extent, but keep in mind most of the killers and gangs obtain their weapons by illegal means (smuggling, black market, etc.)

What do you guys think the government should do to ensure the number of killings every year is reduced?

The post was edited 7 times, last by V1NC3 ().

• Re: How to reduce the number of killings in the U.S.

The only way I can think of is to stop using force to solve every problem. Americans are indoctrinated to rely on our strength so much of the time, so it's hard to change that perception.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

There is an obvious distinct attitude in the US with gun culture. you can see this when you look at Canada a country with about the same guns per household as the US but with a similar gun crime rate to that of the UK, so its not just about availability of guns.

However i do believe that guns are a huge factor in respect to ordinary people owning them and not just gangs.

Ill try and explain my theory. If you go out to commit a crime here in the UK, such as burglery etc, then you are unlikely to go armed as there is very little chance that person you are robbing off of has a gun or lethal weapon to hand. However in the US with many homeowners also owning a firearm a criminal is more likely to also carry a gun as well in the likelyhood that it may be needed. And then cos the criminal is armed the police must then also be armed and you get an escalation with people carrying guns for protection and to do harm.

Papa Bear wrote:

Kids who grow up in a single parent household is the root of the problem we need parents to marry before they have children. That's how we'll solve the violence in the streets.

This is true. In the end, it is all about our people having moral and ethical behavior

But how do we teach this to all of the low income population that attributes to most of these killings?

Papa Bear wrote:

Kids who grow up in a single parent household is the root of the problem we need parents to marry before they have children. That's how we'll solve the violence in the streets.

It's partially that. However, I think it's the quality of the parenting more so. One great parent who actually gives a shit > two useless scumbags who don't get involved in their children's lives.

Marc_Antony wrote:

I just posted on another thread the same basic response, but spend more money on Education and R&D, siphon off funding going to police/military, raise taxes, reduce tax breaks. Except, none of those are things an American politician would do. :)

Not that I entirely agree or disagree with your idea, but if all of these things were done, isn't it reasonable to say that killing/crime would probably increase for part or all of the generation that followed immediately afterward? So, the number of killings might have to increase for them to eventually be reduced--that is, if a politician was ever fearless enough to push through enough drastic changes to actually affect crime rates. The idea of worse before better might be why no truly drastic changes ever happen, the fear of what could happen.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!