Lovesick.

• Gee, where do I start?

For a while, I was absolutely head-over-heels for this boy. At the time, I was in a relationship. Any time we talked, we ended up flirting. He complained, "Why can't I find a girl just like you who isn't taken? You're amazing." Well, after a 9 month relationship, I decided to break it off. Since then, a day hasn't gone by where we haven't talked. Though, there's a bit of a downside to him...

He's notorious for using girls for sex. He's never been in a real relationship.

I, on the other hand, am a virgin and plan to stay one for a good while. Fortunately, he understands and respects that.

I actually came across this Reddit profile, being the sneaky, little creep I am. He has written two threads that involve me. One, which is titled "The girl I'm interested in drew this picture of us." I tend to draw things for him quite a lot. In the comments, he proceeded to say how adorable it was and how he's never had anything like this done for him before.

The other, asking for relationship advice because he's confused about the feelings he has towards me. "When I start feeling something, I get scared and run. Kind of give up halfway through on most of the things I do, and I just feel like relationships are a responsibility I can't handle. These feelings are probably typical, but I don't know how to deal with them. I usually just have sex. So...emotions are not my forte." But before the thread ends, he writes "I know if I do get into a relationship with her, it will be long term. No sex. And I'd prefer if I didn't fuck this up this time." My hope for a serious relationship with him ran solely on those few words.

Now, moving on...
      Being a typical 18-year-old boy, he's sending me some pretty mixed signals. Just a few weeks ago, I could openly say, "I love you" to him and he would reply with an, "I love you too." Sometimes he would even say, "I love you" first.

Recently, he was telling me how much he can't stand to say those words. Even when joking around. Bummed me out a bit.

He also told me not to get my hopes up because this relationship might not work out because he's not ready for a relationship and I may have to wait a while. Being the lovesick puppy I am, I've decided to wait for him.

But no matter how much he says he's not ready for a relationship, when ever we hang out in public, he'll hold my hand, kiss my cheek, peck my lips, and even cuddle a bit. We have yet to get "alone time".

The texts after we see each other is what I really get excited for. "I miss you already," "Wish I kissed you more," "I just want to hold you," "I love you," "Come see me soon." But unfortunately, the next day he becomes his usual, I-don't-know-how-to-deal-with-these-feelings self.

Just tonight, I got the gruesome "we need to talk" text. He told me he thought we were moving too fast and need to slow down. And me being in love with him is a problem because he can't deal with emotions too well.

I've felt so shitty for the past few weeks. I've finally worked up the courage to call out for advice. How do I deal with this lovesickness? I can barely focus on anything, but him.
    • Re: Lovesick.

I would say, try to forget about him. He just doesn't seem like the guy for a relationship. He's the one getting intimate, yet saying you both are moving too fast. All his messages are sweet talk. It's common in early periods of relationships. He might break your heart one day.

And since you're a great girl, as he had mentioned, why not find a better guy? You'll get over him soon (I assume).
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."

sharon. wrote:

So the 9 month relationship you broke off wasn't with him right? If so, are you guys dating? How long has it been? He might be right in saying that it's moving too fast depending on the age and maturity of your relationship.

Ah, no, no. The 9 month relationship was with another boy. Perhaps, I should have made it more clear. x _x

This boy, however, I am not dating. As much as I wish I was.

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

ztmj96 wrote:

I would say, try to forget about him. He just doesn't seem like the guy for a relationship. He's the one getting intimate, yet saying you both are moving too fast. All his messages are sweet talk. It's common in early periods of relationships. He might break your heart one day.

And since you're a great girl, as he had mentioned, why not find a better guy? You'll get over him soon (I assume).

Mm, honestly, I wish I could just forget about him. Oh, I've tried in the past. I've been completely infatuated with him for a good year now. Which has been the longest time I have liked someone this much.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hiasobi ().

I think both of you not dating is adding on to the fact that he's freaking out. Saying 'I love you' is a big emotional thing to say with commitment attached to it. And he's scared of commitment, right? So, saying I love you is like commitment without the foundation, which would be a relationship between the both of you. I can understand why he's scared, and that must be frustrating for you, but I think he's right in that you both really need to slow down with this, and that's totally okay. Build a foundation for a relationship that you can both grow together on, and comfortably tell each other that you love the other when you're ready.

sharon. wrote:

I think both of you not dating is adding on to the fact that he's freaking out. Saying 'I love you' is a big emotional thing to say with commitment attached to it. And he's scared of commitment, right? So, saying I love you is like commitment without the foundation, which would be a relationship between the both of you. I can understand why he's scared, and that must be frustrating for you, but I think he's right in that you both really need to slow down with this, and that's totally okay. Build a foundation for a relationship that you can both grow together on, and comfortably tell each other that you love the other when you're ready.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm just afraid of losing him..

I know you care about him, and I'm just rereading over some of the stuff in your original post, I think you should set some boundaries if you want to try to make a relationship out of what you have with him right now. He tells you he's not ready for a relationship but he can get all the physical gratification, sexual or not, that he wants, without the emotional responsibility. It needs to be a package deal.

And if he doesn't, or is unable to, handle both the emotional and physical part, then there's not much you can do about that right now. That's something he needs to figure out on his own. If it turns out like that, I know it will hurt, and yes, you may lose him. But you also don't deserve to waste your time on someone who can't handle everything that comes along with a relationship.

sharon. wrote:

I know you care about him, and I'm just rereading over some of the stuff in your original post, I think you should set some boundaries if you want to try to make a relationship out of what you have with him right now. He tells you he's not ready for a relationship but he can get all the physical gratification, sexual or not, that he wants, without the emotional responsibility. It needs to be a package deal.

And if he doesn't, or is unable to, handle both the emotional and physical part, then there's not much you can do about that right now. That's something he needs to figure out on his own. If it turns out like that, I know it will hurt, and yes, you may lose him. But you also don't deserve to waste your time on someone who can't handle everything that comes along with a relationship.

I suppose you're right. I'll try it. Thank you~

ztmj96 wrote:

And still set a boundary. If he respects you and loves you as he really said, he will wait and do as you say. Make sare he is ready for the emotional part. You don't want him to end up running away. Don't be overly clingy, too.

Alright-o.

See, I'm always the one to text him first because I'm afraid that if I don't, he'll get the sense that I don't want to talk to him and he'll give up on me.

He wouldn't reply to me last night, so I decided not to talk to him all day. It hurts a bit. Considering, he hasn't tried to even make an attempt to talk to me at all today.

Ignoring me. Is this just a thing guys do to make us absolutely crazy?

My mother keeps telling me he's just trying to play "cool". But I'm still skeptical...

Edit: Sorry if I seem to be getting off topic. Everything is just practically...pouring out.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hiasobi ().