What makes for a good soccer coach for 9 yr olds?

• What makes for a good soccer coach for 9 yr olds?

Hello Friends,

I accidentally volunteered to be my niece's soccer coach and the YMCA took me up on my offer. I played when I was young and know the game well, but I have never coached before nor been in a teaching position of any kind. Got any tips?

Best Regards
      Alexis Allen
    • Re: What makes for a good soccer coach for 9 yr olds?

Hello Friends,

The World Cup Soccer Drill teaches 9- to 10-year-old players to work on teamwork by playing shorthanded. Put three players each on four different teams in different colored shirts, and one goalie, all in the penalty box. It is essentially 3-on-9 for the first round of the "tournament," as any team that has the ball will be facing nine defenders. The first team that scores gets to sit out, so then it is 6-on-3. The next team to score sits out, and then one more team will score. The last team left is eliminated from the tournament. The tournament restarts with 6-on-3 and the same system applies. For the final two teams, playing 3-on-3, whoever scores two goals first wins the tournament.

Thanks and Regards,
      Michal Zalewski

removed link

The post was edited 1 time, last by xyz123456 ().

• Re: What makes for a good soccer coach for 9 yr olds?

I actually coach under 9s and you just have to think basic and easy to translate. Don't do the offside trap it will fly over there heads. Put them into a game situation and observe come up with a few points on where they can improve and where they do really well. Praise them and think of a mini game or drill that his fun but teaches them things. Give them responsibility too let then decide for 15 mins each week what they want to work on etc :)