Friends.

• One of my best friends has really low self esteem, and she'd make jokes and stuff about hating the way she looks, but I never really thought anything of it. We were emailing back and forth around two weeks ago, though, and she let it slip that she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast on Thursday (it was Saturday). She mentioned being hungry and I was like, "Well, when was the last time you ate?", so don't think she just wanted me to give her attention.

I found out she had tried cutting her hands, making it look like she'd let a knife slip or something when she was cutting food, and she tries to starve herself. I think she's depressed, too.

I told one of her other friends and we both went to the school counselor but didn't tell her, and we confronted her. But she just got angry and tried to blow us off and told us that it was none of our business what she did, and that it was her choice and just to forget about everything she'd told me.

I want her to get help, like talking to a counselor or something, but I've heard they "can't help you unless you want to change" or something. I tried to get her parents involved but they didn't answer the phone.

Now she won't talk to me and I don't know what to do.

Advice please?
      [COLOR="Silver"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]Back me down from backing up
      Hold your breath, now, it's s t a c k i n g up!
      Etched with marks, but I can deal
      And you're the p r o b l e m, and you can't feel.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    • Re: Friends.

well done for trying to help, i don't think she's doing ti for attention have there been any recent incidents in her life that would make her depressed?

what about going to her house one night or ring her up and just talk about your day and ask about hers you know just casual talking and see if she's eaten if she's had a bad day etc ect then that would give you a better idea of whats going on, you could try talking to her saying your worried but that may not work if she's already angry with you. You could try going out places with her then get the other people your with to say good things about her e.g. "hey your looking good tonight!" or " i love the top your wearing" etc just things that will make her more confident and feel good about herself
      Nicole = Happiest she's been in a long time:lovey:

A counselor, her parents.. someone needs to know. Keep trying.

She might hate you for awhile, but it will be the best thing you could ever do for her. When she gets is better and happier, she will see this and be thankful.. I hope. I certainly don't want to see her spiral down the other path. :(
      [SIZE=2]The Voice of Reason[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]
      "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, love." - Augustine.[/SIZE]

Its seems your on the right track here.

I used to suffer from depression and I only started to recover when I realised myself that I actually was suffering from it and that I needed help. So I think what you need to do is get her to accept that there is something wrong and that you will always be there for her, through the ups and downs of life and through this really dificult time. I don't really know how you could get her to accept that she may need to go and see a counciller but I think you just have to persevere with it. She may resent your efforts at first but eventually she'll be thankful.

Keep trying and good luck :)
      [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
      Who is the lamb and who is the knife
      Midas is king and he holds me so tight
      And turns me to gold in the sunlight
      - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
      [/CENTER]