14 and no period?

• 14 and no period?

I know it might seem weird that a 18-year-old asks this but my cousin is 14 and hasn't had her period but all her friends have.
      Her friend pretends to everyone that she hasn't either so my cousin Lilly doesn't feel left out.
      Lilly's a vegetarian like most of my family and she's tall and skinny (apparently this matters).
      Should she be worried?
    • Re: 14 and no period?

To get your period, you typically need a certain BMI, which is why athletes and skinny girls tend to get their periods later in life. I wouldn't be worried about it at all, everyone develops differently. As she fills out and develops a bit more, her body will kick start and she'll get it. If she doesn't get it by about 16, that's when it might be time for a trip to the doctor to make sure everything is okay. Otherwise, I'd tell her she's lucky and to enjoy her life without a period for now, because it's really nothing special.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling
    • Re: 14 and no period?

Linda wrote:

To get your period, you typically need a certain BMI, which is why athletes and skinny girls tend to get their periods later in life. I wouldn't be worried about it at all, everyone develops differently. As she fills out and develops a bit more, her body will kick start and she'll get it. If she doesn't get it by about 16, that's when it might be time for a trip to the doctor to make sure everything is okay. Otherwise, I'd tell her she's lucky and to enjoy her life without a period for now, because it's really nothing special.

Ok, thanks. She is also a competitive swimmer so that's good to hear.