Catholic Debate(More of a question that will turn into a debate)

• Catholic Debate(More of a question that will turn into a debate)

Okay, so there's a verse in the Bible that says not to have idols.

Exodus 20:1-15 ESV

And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, ...

Why isn't praying to Mary and the Saints considers idolizing?
      [CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]Behind Every Successful Man
      Is A Woman Rolling Her Eyes[/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • Re: Catholic Debate(More of a question that will turn into a debate)

In the Catholic church, Mary and the Saints aren't idols so much as they are "good souls" that can ferry prayers to God. It's sort of like, when you're a little kid and you start to wonder how Santa can take toys to everyone in one night. Catholics see God as a busy being (like Santa) so he needs his angels/saints/Mary/apostles (elves in the Santa analogy) to help with handling the prayers (gifts in the Santa analogy).

Some individual Catholics idolize Mary and the Saints, and that's not approved by the Church. But in regards to prayer it's really just suppose to be that they carry the prayers to God. Outside of prayer, Mary and the Saints aren't supposed to be idols but rather examples of upright Catholics/people/.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Musicaddicted ().

Manny wrote:

Many people will disagree with me, but I think anyone who "idolizes" or "speaks to" someone that isn't there (i.e stuff animal, a saint, jesus) should be put into an insane asylum.

I do disagree. I talk to my teddy bear all the time. It's nice because he listens more than most humans :rofl:

But anyway, if there's anything I know, it's that Catholicism, and Christianity as a whole is full of contradictions and horrors. Hence why I hate it :)

I don't like religion because of the hatred it causes. Some consider Christianity a religion of peace, but quite honestly, it never was. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, people killed each other in the name of God. Look at the Crusades, or Hitler. Today it is also quite clear, especially with the issue of gays.
      So no, I don't think idols in the sense of religion is necessarily healthy.

Great question. I went and am going to continue going to Catholic school for another 4 years and this questions has been brought up. But before I answer let me ask you one thing. Do you know why the Catholic and Orthodox split up? This was one of the key reason why. The Great Schism as I was taught happened because Catholics thought that making icons and statues of the saint and Mary was idolizing and went against one of the 10 Commandments. That's why they split apart from the Roman Catholics and became the Greek Orthodox church as we know today. I don't know if I'm right because I'm certainly didn't major in this kind of stuff, but that's what I was taught and how I perceive it. Also don't think that because I go to a Catholic school that I'm bias, because I'm Presbyterian - Protestant which means we also broke away from the Catholics ;)

What you've stumbled upon is one of the many issues with the Bible, where it contradicts itself throughout. Dont take it at face value, sure the morals it wishes to convey are admirable but looking at the books as anything other than a metaphor is ridiculous.

The bible was translated over and over from the original text, and many of the metaphors (because that's what they are) are taken too seriously. Religion is just a way of keeping order in society to begin with. Doesn't matter how it is in the bible, they'll twist it around to fit their liking.
      [center][/center]

I was a christian, but I'm backing out of christianity. The people that are very religious are fucking arrogant and do shit behind someone elses back, they don't tolerate/respect people who are different in any stretch (Either gay or other religion). Imo most (Not all) christians (Or more like christian fanboys) are shady, intolerant and diplomatic liars.
      Opgekankert, jij!

Sometimes, you gotta put them deuces up.

Jordioa18 wrote:

I was a christian, but I'm backing out of christianity. The people that are very religious are fucking arrogant and do shit behind someone elses back, they don't tolerate/respect people who are different in any stretch (Either gay or other religion). Imo most (Not all) christians (Or more like christian fanboys) are shady, intolerant and diplomatic liars.

Similar situation with me. Oh yes, Christians (at least in my country) are so against gays and equality in general, like men-women equality. They still think that woman's place should be in the kitchen. Something happened at the time I was a Christian and going to church. Some bitches and their boyfriends (btw. I know them, we were going to the same school), were listening what I was speaking in the confessional. They literally put their ears on the wall, I saw them laughing when I was walking out of the confessional. How mean is that? :mad:

I'm am not a catholic, but I am Protestant, and I go to catholic schools as well.
      One thing that comes to mind is that I was told that humans can not speak or prey directly to God, they need to prey through a saint.

I think that some opinions expressed here against Christianity as a whole may be a bit biased, against all Christianity. I don't beleive we are haters against certain populations like gays at all. The Catholic Church has been always against it, but getting better. Never could understand why they are so behind the times, but anyways, my church is very open and accepting towards all people regardless of any sexual orientation or anything else.

In any event though, when I prey to God, and yes, I do prey, he does speak to me, and I'm not crazy, I have proof of that as well. He speaks not in words, rather, courage, humbleness, and the wisdoms to know when to courage or humble