Should infant circumcision be banned and have the child decide when 13?

• Re: Should infant circumcision be banned and have the child decide when 13?

RDCF wrote:

Well, probably. I know those were never proven. Why do you keep insisting on this nonsense? I don't know, ask yourself.

All I can do is present the facts. If you'd like to cup your hands over your ears, shut your eyes, hum and pretend that somehow you can wish these facts into inexistence, there's not much that can be done about your ignorance.

It's not the same. Cutting a finger is much worse than circumcision. People do voluntarily circumcise sometimes, no one cuts his finger voluntarily.

People voluntarily circumcise because they're either ignorant of the facts, or do so to explore their religion. Either is acceptable if the person does so of their own accord at the appropriate age of consent or above. If a religion required a person to cut off their finger, people would willingly do so and try to make up some bogus reason as to the benefits "Oh look, when you cut off one of your fingers, you have roughly a 10% chance to avoid finger cancer!" and will try to justify it as religious freedom to perform the operation on their children.

The question is not whether you believe in god or not and why, the question is whether you respect other people who believe, knowing your case isn't any stronger than theirs, or continue to live in your arrogant ignorance.
      Human rights were created (at least partly) through reasonable debate, true, but that is not a belief but a fact. It's like saying that you believe that the Roman Empire have fallen, it's not a belief but a fact, however, saying that god crashed because they were cruel and evil is a belief. In the same way, saying that human rights were created through reasonable debate is not a belief, saying that they are a good thing for humanity is, though. Because it depends in what you define as good for humanity, which is a thing that can't be proved. The same with democracy.

My case is possibly the strongest. I don't accept claims that have virtually zero logic, reason and/or evidence to support them. When such evidence becomes available, I'll be looking into it.

These concepts, democracy and human rights, at least in the modern world, are based on reason and logic, which is in turn based on an ever evolving understanding of the world and a rationally discussed logic behind how these concepts can benefit society. The positions are open to change. They aren't fixed in place like many religious beliefs, where challenges would mean imprisonment... or worse. I don't "believe" in either of these concepts in the way that a religious person believes in a creator.

Atheism, by definition, says that god doesn't exist, if course it has clear tenets. Religious people also have huge differences in how they see the world.
      People have used and still use religion as a way to justify their own barbaric urges, But I think that it actually says more about human kind than it says about religions. People also use other ideologies, including complete atheistic ones to justify horrible crimes. I think the violence accusations is a very good claim against clericalism, much less against religions.

Atheism is an absence of belief, it doesn't actively make the claim that god doesn't exist. There are some people who are atheists who make that claim, but atheism itself does not tell people that you must be certain a god does not exist.

With regards to people using religion as a way to justify barbaric urges: circumcision, case in point. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a divine creator. It has never been used and will never be used to justify horrible crimes, because it does not make any sense logically.
      [CENTER]People who put too much time into a forum signature are fucking stupid.[/CENTER]

Whiff wrote:

All I can do is present the facts. If you'd like to cup your hands over your ears, shut your eyes, hum and pretend that somehow you can wish these facts into inexistence, there's not much that can be done about your ignorance.

Practice what you preach

Whiff wrote:

People voluntarily circumcise because they're either ignorant of the facts, or do so to explore their religion. Either is acceptable if the person does so of their own accord at the appropriate age of consent or above. If a religion required a person to cut off their finger, people would willingly do so and try to make up some bogus reason as to the benefits "Oh look, when you cut off one of your fingers, you have roughly a 10% chance to avoid finger cancer!" and will try to justify it as religious freedom to perform the operation on their children.

Sometimes it's for aesthetic reasons, no one cuts his finger for aesthetic reasons.
      The point is not what people would do for their religion, it's how dangerous and harmful circumcision is, and it's not.

Whiff wrote:

My case is possibly the strongest. I don't accept claims that have virtually zero logic, reason and/or evidence to support them. When such evidence becomes available, I'll be looking into it.

The logic behind religion is that many people find it very hard to believe that's the universe is completely random, the creation of human kind was a meaningless incident and in general nothing you do really matters, it looks strange especially when nature is based around causality so much. This is not a proof, of course, but they think the strength of the questions is enough to convince them that a higher power exist and that it told people the way to should live. Your case doesn't answer the the question "why", religions do. My point is that religion standing on the same logical level atheist does, means religious actions should get the same respect atheism actions do.

Whiff wrote:

Atheism is an absence of belief, it doesn't actively make the claim that god doesn't exist. There are some people who are atheists who make that claim, but atheism itself does not tell people that you must be certain a god does not exist.

It is. There's no grey area, god either exists or not, so once you're an atheist, that's practically like explicitly saying that it doesn't.

Whiff wrote:

With regards to people using religion as a way to justify barbaric urges: circumcision, case in point. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a divine creator. It has never been used and will never be used to justify horrible crimes, because it does not make any sense logically.

Atheism was used in the USSR and in China (and other communist states) to justify horrible crimes, those are historical facts.
      Sick of trolling? Here's the solution

The post was edited 1 time, last by RDCF ().

There's nothing more to be said about the circumcision topic here between us. You support mutilation, I don't. That's as far as this is going, no matter how much I'm right.

Since the religion topic is more off topic than not, I'll be quick about it. Religions only claim to know the answer to "why", which is fine, provided there is some iota of proof. But there isn't. The merit behind actions should not be judged on theist and atheist, but rather whether they are right or wrong.

Being an atheist is explicitly saying nothing about god or religion. It is the default position, the absence of belief. Anti-theism would be actively stating that god does not exist. Atheism cannot logically be used to justify terrible actions (or good actions).

This is my last post here.
      [CENTER]People who put too much time into a forum signature are fucking stupid.[/CENTER]

Whiff wrote:

There's nothing more to be said about the circumcision topic here between us. You support mutilation, I don't. That's as far as this is going, no matter how much I'm right.

Since the religion topic is more off topic than not, I'll be quick about it. Religions only claim to know the answer to "why", which is fine, provided there is some iota of proof. But there isn't. The merit behind actions should not be judged on theist and atheist, but rather whether they are right or wrong.

Being an atheist is explicitly saying nothing about god or religion. It is the default position, the absence of belief. Anti-theism would be actively stating that god does not exist. Atheism cannot logically be used to justify terrible actions (or good actions).

This is my last post here.

The argument did got pretty off-topic, but it was actually just an exposure of the real roots of the argument, and those roots are the question how to treat religion.
      You are very negative and judgemental when it comes to religion and it leads you to form opinions that are based partly on ignorance, partly on wrong facts and partly on true awareness of the problems that are caused by people who use religion as an excuse to fulfill their own immoral urges.
      However, that doesn't justify a complete dismissal of a phenomenon that is much more big and complicated than a few bad people doing bad things.
      The focus on circumcision in general, which is a very small "problem" any way you look at it, is more of a case of narrow-minded people who claim to be progressive and enlightened while actually jusy busy in forcing their own opinion on others, than it's a case of a real human rights problem.
      Sick of trolling? Here's the solution

I'm a girl so I really shouldn't have a say in this but I got a friend who didn't get a circumcision until he was six. He said that scarred him for life. I think infants should be circumcised with the consent of their parents. I mean what difference does it make when you get circumcised as an infant or a pre-teen? And even if you had the decision at 13 most pre-teens barely know what they're going to wear tomorrow so I don't know...But great topic :)