what's your experience with antidepressants?

• Re: what's your experience with antidepressants?

In general, they are a temporary and oversimplified solution to a long term and complicated problem. Additionally, they usually hurt more than help, providing minor relief for certain issues while causing others.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

My Doctor prescribed me antidepressants two years ago. I thought that they would help and make me better instantly - but surprise, ,surprise, they didn't. At every appointment i had with my Doctor they would put the dosage up as i was only feeling 'better' for a few weeks until i came crashing back down again. After a while i got a letter through stating that the dosage i was on was too high and could cause fatal heart damage so i had to lower the dosage immediately. Why they sent me a letter saying this and didn't call me i will never know. Anyway - eventually i ended up taking an overdose of a variety of pills including my antidepressants. I ended up in a hospital for two days. After that i stopped taking them. I managed to get my life back on track without the help of some tablets.
      In my opinion they don't fix the problem.. they just cover up the problem temporarily until it resurfaces again. I would suggest that people try and find the reason behind their depression through different methods such as councillors, psychiatrists, group therapy etc. rather than taking medication for it.
      [CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]Believe; Follow your dreams.
      Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it![/COLOR]
      [/CENTER]

hello ,i didnt think they were very good,
      i was seirously depressed, couldnt sleep, cried all day and night, felt worthless,
      the anti- depressants motivated me but after taking them for 3 weeks they started changing the way i acted, i threw them in the bin..
      i was becoming very paranoid ( i never had paranoia issues )
      i was afraid of everything i couldnt cross roads,
      i was afraid to talk to my best friends and lots more,
      i had a strange experience

Mihovil wrote:

They are not good, my friend become worse after taking them, they will just make your life more complicated. My friend started going to the gym, playing squash weekly and joined a club, she is now better and got her life back.

A major issue is that they are over-prescribed. If the depression is caused by a chemical imbalance, then most antidepressants are a good idea but if the imbalance is a result of the depression then it normally makes things worse. This is exaggerated by the difficulty of proving the direction of causation, as a result it's prescribed on a trial-and-error basis, and as such is over-prescribed.

Depends on the situation, but most damage done is reversible so if someone feels its worth a shot then they might as well go for it.
      [SIGPIC]http://www.thecommonage.net/mandala.gif[/SIGPIC]
      The living may not hear them; Their voices may fall upon deaf ears. But make no mistake; The dead are not silent. My Skype: Alaestor My TeamSpeak3: ts3.FutureGadgetLab.net