Girls in male showers

• kathyFL wrote:

pahern0317 wrote:

There are no mixed gender changing rooms where I live.
    Here by me in bigger places there are 3 kinds of changing rooms. Men's and Women's plus one called Family. The Family one you can go in it with either parent and it is ok. There are bathrooms like that too at some malls.
    I'm familiar with the family bathrooms, but not locker rooms. Are they just for one family at a time, or would multiple families be in there at the same time?
  • xols wrote:

kathyFL wrote:

pahern0317 wrote:

There are no mixed gender changing rooms where I live.
    Here by me in bigger places there are 3 kinds of changing rooms. Men's and Women's plus one called Family. The Family one you can go in it with either parent and it is ok. There are bathrooms like that too at some malls.
    I'm familiar with the family bathrooms, but not locker rooms. Are they just for one family at a time, or would multiple families be in there at the same time?
    Im not sure how all of them work I only seen them and at a gym in a hotel they let anybody in the family one because it didnt have a door or nothing. Just like walls.
  • I've also not thought that "shared" looker rooms/showers were a thing, at least in the U.S. (I mean, sure, I've heard of nude beaches and the like, and figured there might be shared looker rooms/showers in some places in Europe, where they definitely seem to have different viewpoints on nudity than a lot of us Americans tend to have, but that's about it).
  • Durango wrote:

I've also not thought that "shared" looker rooms/showers were a thing, at least in the U.S. (I mean, sure, I've heard of nude beaches and the like, and figured there might be shared looker rooms/showers in some places in Europe, where they definitely seem to have different viewpoints on nudity than a lot of us Americans tend to have, but that's about it).
    From what I understand, most of the whole 'Europeans are open to nudity' thing is very narrow.
    Some places may have co-ed nude sauna during certain hours, but this idea that all public high schools have co-ed locker rooms and showers is false. That doesn't exist in the Western world.

Nudist beaches is a different story, although some of them have separate showers, especially the ones which are 'clothing optional,' rather than 'nudity required.'
  • xols wrote:

niknik wrote:

xols wrote:

@IsabeleMarie: Are you asking about the situation of a young cis girl going with her dad into a locker room, or the teenage trans-female issue in school locker rooms?
    I think the formerIt happens usually with younger kids, like I’ve seen boys as old as 11 in the locker room at the pool with their mother or whoever
    Oldest I was in a male shower area was 12 at a camp site, I really think that age is starting to push it but I get parents have heard scary stories or had bad experiences
    I agree, 12 is probably starting to push it. I think the problem is letting the girls go alone into the women's shower room. One girl my age was telling me some of the comments that adult women made to her when she was alone in the shower room when she was younger, and how it made her feel. It's too bad that goes on in the women's shower.
    While I agree 12 is getting a little old, I'd try to have some compassion for the father being understandably afraid of letting the girl go alone into the women's shower room.
    I think if he and the girl do what they need to do and get out of there quickly, it's worth putting up with.
    Sounds familiar - what kind of comments did your friend hear from the woman/women?
    I’ve heard some personally that were just judgemental about what we wore or our bodies and some that were really creepy like what they’d like to do with us (sexually)

yeah on long road trips and camps it had been the rule a long time, usually just a quick shower with my brother, sometimes dad but with him less as I got older, was just weird and I know he felt judged
    It’s not as big a deal as people make it, showering together but it’s sad that people should have to feel it’s unsafe too
  • niknik wrote:

xols wrote:

niknik wrote:

xols wrote:

@IsabeleMarie: Are you asking about the situation of a young cis girl going with her dad into a locker room, or the teenage trans-female issue in school locker rooms?
    I think the formerIt happens usually with younger kids, like I’ve seen boys as old as 11 in the locker room at the pool with their mother or whoeverOldest I was in a male shower area was 12 at a camp site, I really think that age is starting to push it but I get parents have heard scary stories or had bad experiences
    I agree, 12 is probably starting to push it. I think the problem is letting the girls go alone into the women's shower room. One girl my age was telling me some of the comments that adult women made to her when she was alone in the shower room when she was younger, and how it made her feel. It's too bad that goes on in the women's shower.While I agree 12 is getting a little old, I'd try to have some compassion for the father being understandably afraid of letting the girl go alone into the women's shower room.
    I think if he and the girl do what they need to do and get out of there quickly, it's worth putting up with.
    Sounds familiar - what kind of comments did your friend hear from the woman/women?I’ve heard some personally that were just judgemental about what we wore or our bodies and some that were really creepy like what they’d like to do with us (sexually)

yeah on long road trips and camps it had been the rule a long time, usually just a quick shower with my brother, sometimes dad but with him less as I got older, was just weird and I know he felt judged
    It’s not as big a deal as people make it, showering together but it’s sad that people should have to feel it’s unsafe too
    I won't get into detail on the public forum, but yes, creepy and sexual. And with a huge age difference. Or a moderate age difference. And in front of others.
    It seems there is a lot more tolerance for women being inappropriate than men. I'm sure, while men might say similar things to boys (I haven't heard that directly), they would never say it in front of others. Women do.

I agree, a shower is innocent, none the less, that's not comfortable for a lot of people and they shouldn't be forced into it because it's unsafe for girls to go alone into the female locker room.

That said, people can shower in their bathing suit, then mostly dry off and discretely change out of their 'costume,' as those across the pond call it.
    Same for the guys, shower then change out of the trunks.
  • xols wrote:

niknik wrote:

xols wrote:

niknik wrote:

xols wrote:

I think the formerIt happens usually with younger kids, like I’ve seen boys as old as 11 in the locker room at the pool with their mother or whoeverOldest I was in a male shower area was 12 at a camp site, I really think that age is starting to push it but I get parents have heard scary stories or had bad experiences
    I agree, 12 is probably starting to push it. I think the problem is letting the girls go alone into the women's shower room. One girl my age was telling me some of the comments that adult women made to her when she was alone in the shower room when she was younger, and how it made her feel. It's too bad that goes on in the women's shower.While I agree 12 is getting a little old, I'd try to have some compassion for the father being understandably afraid of letting the girl go alone into the women's shower room.I think if he and the girl do what they need to do and get out of there quickly, it's worth putting up with.
    Sounds familiar - what kind of comments did your friend hear from the woman/women?I’ve heard some personally that were just judgemental about what we wore or our bodies and some that were really creepy like what they’d like to do with us (sexually)
    I won't get into detail on the public forum, but yes, creepy and sexual. And with a huge age difference. Or a moderate age difference. And in front of others.It seems there is a lot more tolerance for women being inappropriate than men. I'm sure, while men might say similar things to boys (I haven't heard that directly), they would never say it in front of others. Women do.

I agree, a shower is innocent, none the less, that's not comfortable for a lot of people and they shouldn't be forced into it because it's unsafe for girls to go alone into the female locker room.

That said, people can shower in their bathing suit, then mostly dry off and discretely change out of their 'costume,' as those across the pond call it.
    Same for the guys, shower then change out of the trunks.
    yep I know exactly what you mean, I’m sorry that happened to your friend too

I try ink it’s unfairly skewed against males because they can do more obvious damage
    People ignite what it does to your head
  • pahern0317 wrote:

wow 10 to 12 is too old. I bet a 12 year old girl would be embarrassed at being naked in front of all the boys. I know I would be embarrassed.
    yeah, there aren't many that come in that old, the few that do are a mix of shy and not shy. I have been embarrassed by them being there sometimes. My little brother is closer to their age so he can get really embarrassed
  • I went through the mens shower when I was too young to go by myself, and my mom wasn't with us. No big deal.
    If it was common shower today, I wouldn't have problem either even if I was alone and a number of guys.
    The benefits of a safe country.
    "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
  • Benny973 wrote:

I've wondered about that before too, after seeing some 10-12 year old girls in the mens locker room. How do girls feel about it? Have mothers brought their sons in with them?
    When I was 1o+ I could take care of myself on my own in the womens shower, but when I was younger and I was with dad, I knew what I saw and that it was a "situation". I tried not to gawk too much.
    I think girls and boys in the age 10-12 must be quite shy and interested at the same time. I do think they shoud be able to take care of themselves on their own. That's too old to need mommy or daddy.

When we are talking about communal showers, I think the blend can be made at all ages.
    "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe