Covid Vaccine

• I got the second dose in July, before leaving for vacation. I didn't react as strongly as you did, but I did feel fatigued and spent most of the day lying around. I also had Pfizer. My dad had a fairly pronounced reaction to the second does of Moderna (ended up calling out of work for two days) but he is fine now and I had no lingering side effects other than a sore arm which was gone after a few days.
    • Starlord wrote:

No longer in Use wrote:

naturelover-VT wrote:

I don't have one yet and I also resist it.
      why? I'd recommend anyone who can have it to take it.
      Why ? For the reasons I just listed
      I wasn't asking you.

Anyway, I don't really agree with you. There is a lot of research done on these things. And there's nothing unsafe about it except in a very small percentage of cases.

As long as you aren't vulnerable in some may and, therefore, have been advised not to take the vaccine, there's very little to fear.

They have been tested in various scientific experimentations before being used on people. And MILLIONS of people have taken it and been fine. 40 million in the UK alone and almost all have been fine (me included!).

To me, it's a toss up between fear of a disease that could kill you or at least leave you very weak for a very long time Vs a vaccine that will unlikely make you ill, possibly make your arm feel like you got hit in it, but protect you from that disease.

So, I'd urge you not to be scared. I'm fine, my parents are fine and even my grandparents who are both very susceptible (as they already had cancer, dementia, diabetes and various blood issues). The needle isn't something to worry about either (and I hate needles!).

So please don't fear it and get yourself and others the protection!
    • if you want an answer to why it was developed quicker than any other vaccine or medication before.

It actually wasn't :rolleyes:

The development usually does get done with in a year. Especially when your only redesigning something that already exists (Like adding a battery in to power it) The majority of research and testing is actually selling it to investors so you can carry on to each next stage.

When governments give you billions, no need for massive waiting times. So in reality the covid vaccine is one of the most tested (as theres multiple groups around the world involved in trials) with more research money involved (more than given for cancer for a decade possibly)

And the only known dangerous side effect (heart problems) is actually a common problem that is due to a chemical used in many medical and vaccines to stabilise them

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

if you want an answer to why it was developed quicker than any other vaccine or medication before.

It actually wasn't :rolleyes:

The development usually does get done with in a year. Especially when your only redesigning something that already exists (Like adding a battery in to power it) The majority of research and testing is actually selling it to investors so you can carry on to each next stage.

When governments give you billions, no need for massive waiting times. So in reality the covid vaccine is one of the most tested (as theres multiple groups around the world involved in trials) with more research money involved (more than given for cancer for a decade possibly)

And the only known dangerous side effect (heart problems) is actually a common problem that is due to a chemical used in many medical and vaccines to stabilise them
      Exactly! So well put! The only thing spectacular about the speed of the development is that governments and businesses put money into it.

Would be the same with so many other diseases if the deaths were more obvious and it was those that actually mattered to governments (i.e. relatives of voters and not foreigners)
    • No longer in Use wrote:

To me, it's a toss up between fear of a disease that could kill you or at least leave you very weak for a very long time Vs a vaccine that will unlikely make you ill, possibly make your arm feel like you got hit in it, but protect you from that disease.
      First, long term effect means in 2-3-5 years, so we dont know anything about them. I am not saying the vaccine has some or is dangerous, I am just saying at this point we cant say for sure

Also there is other possibilities : on a ssignificant part of people covid has zero effect or little effect. My cousin caught it at school and passed it to my aunt who was just a little sick for 3 days. so getting a vaccine which is still experimental for a disease that may not affect me or just a little no thanks
    • Starlord wrote:

First, long term effect means in 2-3-5 years, so we dont know anything about them. I am not saying the vaccine has some or is dangerous, I am just saying at this point we cant say for sure
      You could say the same about Covid itself we only have a relatively small number who caught over a years ago (and was a different strain), we have some understanding of short term effects of long covid, but how long people can suffer it, or what the effects it can cause in later life of the lung and heart damage is unknown (but not good if it doesn't recover)

Starlord wrote:

Also there is other possibilities : on a ssignificant part of people covid has zero effect or little effect. My cousin caught it at school and passed it to my aunt who was just a little sick for 3 days. so getting a vaccine which is still experimental for a disease that may not affect me or just a little no thanks
      that's not entirely true. Even in people who get mild or no symptoms, it can cause damage to lungs and heart which can only be picked up on scans. In most healthy people they should recover, but still a year later some healthy young people still have some damage. And so far analysis shows that the lungs of vaccinated people who catch covid are not effected anywhere near as much as unvaccinated

So while physically at the moment the damage or danger you'd be in is small. The long term effect it could have on your life could actually be quite serious

And if you want something with no danger and completely safe, youd need to stop taking anything, just read the seriously dangerous effects of painkillers

I'm not saying there might not be some long term danger of the vaccine, but there is a long term danger without the vaccine. And no other vaccine has been researched as thoroughly, and you've had other vaccinations. And that might have been changed slightly from one that was given years before to deal with virus evolution, so just as experimental

I'm not saying I'm not scared of what the vaccine might do. But even more scary is what the virus WILL do

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Starlord wrote:

No longer in Use wrote:

I understand you're a little scared and that's very reasonable. I was just trying to reassure you that all evidence points to it being safe whilst the disease has a far greater ability to actually harm and kill.

I also wouldn't classify it as "experimental". Personally, I trust the thousands of scientific experts over and above the smaller chance that a deadly disease won't hurt me.
    • BJade wrote:

You could say the same about Covid itself we only have a relatively small number who caught over a years ago (and was a different strain), we have some understanding of short term effects of long covid, but how long people can suffer it, or what the effects it can cause in later life of the lung and heart damage is unknown (but not good if it doesn't recover)

that's not entirely true. Even in people who get mild or no symptoms, it can cause damage to lungs and heart which can only be picked up on scans. In most healthy people they should recover, but still a year later some healthy young people still have some damage. And so far analysis shows that the lungs of vaccinated people who catch covid are not effected anywhere near as much as unvaccinated
      So while physically at the moment the damage or danger you'd be in is small. The long term effect it could have on your life could actually be quite serious

And if you want something with no danger and completely safe, youd need to stop taking anything, just read the seriously dangerous effects of painkillers

I'm not saying there might not be some long term danger of the vaccine, but there is a long term danger without the vaccine. And no other vaccine has been researched as thoroughly, and you've had other vaccinations. And that might have been changed slightly from one that was given years before to deal with virus evolution, so just as experimental

I'm not saying I'm not scared of what the vaccine might do. But even more scary is what the virus WILL do
      You bring out a point : covid has no effect on some people, little effect on others, serious effect on others, is long for others, and deadly for others. No one really knows why.
      So we dont know a damn thing about how this bloody virus works but we know how to stop it ? :sarcasm:
    • Starlord wrote:

No longer in Use wrote:

Personally, I trust the thousands of scientific experts over and above the smaller chance that a deadly disease won't hurt me.
      You talk about the same scientists that say it takes years to develop a vaccine and be sure it's efficient and safe ? Lol
      This says 3 to 5 years to make one.

news.ncsu.edu/2020/12/vaccine-manufacturing-q-and-a/
    • that would be if they were creating from scratch, some new type of virus. Covid is a type of Corona virus, like SARS, MARS, or common cold. So there is a lot of knowledge, it's just targeting this variety of RNA (which is done every year for flu vaccines)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

• Im not arguing but how it was explained to me the reason it was done so fast is they cut corners alittle on the testing. Instead of testing in stages they tested in paralell and that shortened the time it took to bring it forward. Even in the article I posted it says if it is simply to modify a vacine from a exsisting one it can be done in weeks. Im not saying it is not safe but they keep changing the story so much everyone should decide what they want to do and when. It is a personal choice not for the government to force you into it.
    • kathyFL wrote:

Im not arguing but how it was explained to me the reason it was done so fast is they cut corners alittle on the testing. Instead of testing in stages they tested in paralell and that shortened the time it took to bring it forward. Even in the article I posted it says if it is simply to modify a vacine from a exsisting one it can be done in weeks. Im not saying it is not safe but they keep changing the story so much everyone should decide what they want to do and when. It is a personal choice not for the government to force you into it.
      None of the scientists have said they cut corners. They merely used an immense catalogue of pre-existing information on things that are safe and developed that further.

I agree, though, no one should be forced to take anything. I just wanted to try and reassure @Starlord and others that there isn't something extreme to fear. I'm generally quite a cynic, but I genuinely don't think there's some great big conspiracy to fear. There hasn't been loads of cover-ups

Messages have been confused but that's only because, frankly, politicians can't make up their minds on how to get the most votes.
    • I lost a grandparent (health care worker) to it last year and one of my parents works in health care as well, so I got the vaccine as soon as I was able to in late July (1st dose) and mid August (2nd). Was last in my family and felt relieved when I had gotten both.
      After the second dose, I felt achy and had chills for like a day and a half. Still, totally worth it!
    • Pultost wrote:

Get well soon, Collin!

I Pfizer first time and Moderna last time, they told me they're pretty much the same thing.
      They're both mRNA vaccines (they send info that tells your cells to make SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins which your immune system then reacts to) but apparently Moderna is a larger dose of mRNA. I've had a first dose of AstraZeneca (a viral vector vaccine where are virus is used to tell a cell to make SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins rather than more virus). It's really amazing tech. From what I understand Pfizer and Moderna tend to have more side effects on the second dose whereas AZ has more on the first.
      What's up, my dudes?