Covid Vaccine

• ProbsN1 wrote:

Pultost wrote:

Get well soon, Collin!

I Pfizer first time and Moderna last time, they told me they're pretty much the same thing.
      They're both mRNA vaccines (they send info that tells your cells to make SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins which your immune system then reacts to) but apparently Moderna is a larger dose of mRNA. I've had a first dose of AstraZeneca (a viral vector vaccine where are virus is used to tell a cell to make SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins rather than more virus). It's really amazing tech. From what I understand Pfizer and Moderna tend to have more side effects on the second dose whereas AZ has more on the first.
      I suppose I'm lucky. Except for my arm being a bit sore for a couple of days around were the jab took place, I haven't noticed any side effects.
      Keyboard not found. Press F1 for help.
    • kathyFL wrote:

What do you think of the bans they keep pushing on people to force the vaccine ?
      ktla.com/news/california/san-f…restaurants-bars-and-gym/
      I believe everyone has to decide for themselves what to do to their body. Strangely, there is no advertising for vaccinations against flu, measles, rubella, etc. only with covid is it compulsory to vaccinate through the "back door". It also opposes me that I have to get "naked" in the restaurant, that is, state whether I have been vaccinated, recovered or tested. the staff doesn't have to tell me.

• naturelover-VT wrote:

kathyFL wrote:

What do you think of the bans they keep pushing on people to force the vaccine ?
      I believe everyone has to decide for themselves what to do to their body. Strangely, there is no advertising for vaccinations against flu, measles, rubella, etc. only with covid is it compulsory to vaccinate through the "back door". It also opposes me that I have to get "naked" in the restaurant, that is, state whether I have been vaccinated, recovered or tested. the staff doesn't have to tell me.
      Vaccination does effect other people though. Vaccinated people seem less likely to become infected so that reduces transmission + the unvaccinated are much more likely to require hospitalisation - this puts strain on the healthcare system which affects even people who got the vaccine. You see this in parts of the United States where states like Idaho with lower vaccination rates have been forced to send patients to Oregon. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be denied non-essential activities like restaurants if they won't do their part.

Here in Australia, childcare subsidies and some family tax benefits can be cancelled if parents don't keep their kids up to date with their vaccinations.
      What's up, my dudes?
    • BJade wrote:

if you want an answer to why it was developed quicker than any other vaccine or medication before.

It actually wasn't :rolleyes:

The development usually does get done with in a year. Especially when your only redesigning something that already exists (Like adding a battery in to power it) The majority of research and testing is actually selling it to investors so you can carry on to each next stage.

When governments give you billions, no need for massive waiting times. So in reality the covid vaccine is one of the most tested (as theres multiple groups around the world involved in trials) with more research money involved (more than given for cancer for a decade possibly)

And the only known dangerous side effect (heart problems) is actually a common problem that is due to a chemical used in many medical and vaccines to stabilise them
      So well put. Thank you Jade
      I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw you
      I don't wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you
    • ProbsN1 wrote:

naturelover-VT wrote:

kathyFL wrote:

Vaccination does effect other people though. Vaccinated people seem less likely to become infected so that reduces transmission + the unvaccinated are much more likely to require hospitalisation - this puts strain on the healthcare system which affects even people who got the vaccine. You see this in parts of the United States where states like Idaho with lower vaccination rates have been forced to send patients to Oregon. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be denied non-essential activities like restaurants if they won't do their part.
      Here in Australia, childcare subsidies and some family tax benefits can be cancelled if parents don't keep their kids up to date with their vaccinations.
      What I dont understand is that when you get vaccinated then you can still get the virus. So what exactly are you stopping by getting vacinated ? Why keep people from going places becuse they choose not to get it when the chances of spreading it is the same as a vaccinated person ?

nortonhealthcare.com/news/can-…read-covid-after-vaccine/

cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/…s/breakthrough-cases.html
    • The purpose of the vaccine is not to prevent you 100% to catch the disease, it is just impossible, ni vaccine gives 100% immunity. The purpose is to reduce as much as possible chances to transmit it and, if you get it, minimize chances to get a severe form of the disease that would send you to hospital.
    • kathyFL wrote:

naturelover-VT wrote:

I am still not vaccinated - and will remain so for as long as I can.
      I think politicians dont have the balls to say they make it mandatory. They pretend they dont force us to do it but they do everything to annoy people who are not vaccinated. And I say annoy because I stay polite
    • ProbsN1 wrote:

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be denied non-essential activities like restaurants if they won't do their part.
      Congratulations. You talk like a politician.
      They have repeated this stupid argument so many times and in so nearly all the countries in the world, that you end up believing it is true.
      That's bull shit.
      Regular flu also provokes deaths.
      Of course it is not as contagious as covid but it still provokes thousands of deaths every year.
      But when it is flu period, you dont ask people who are not vaccinated to stay home, just because at the restaurant they might cross a guy who crossed a guy who shook hands with another guy who got the flu.

And by the way, I am still waiting for a study that shows that contaminations occur in restaurants, cinemas and museum rather than at school or in public transportation (tube, train, bus), which are open for everyone

"If people wont do their part"
      Well, for some reason, on some people, covid virus doesn't have any effect or only little effect. I dont think my part consists in receiving a vaccine which is still under test phase, to protect me against a disease which potentially has zero effect on me
    • BJade wrote:

When governments give you billions, no need for massive waiting times. So in reality the covid vaccine is one of the most tested (as theres multiple groups around the world involved in trials) with more research money involved (more than given for cancer for a decade possibly)
      They invested a lot on research allright, but one thing money can't buy is time. We still dont know long term effects of this vaccine, long meaning 2, 3, 5, 10 years
      I am not saying there are some, just that we dont know
    • Ryzen wrote:

The purpose of the vaccine is not to prevent you 100% to catch the disease, it is just impossible, ni vaccine gives 100% immunity. The purpose is to reduce as much as possible chances to transmit it and, if you get it, minimize chances to get a severe form of the disease that would send you to hospital.
      Why wasn't that done years ago with the flu? Even with the flu, there were and are serious illnesses that have led to death.
      2016/2017 - 22.900 death // 2017/2018 - 25.100 death only in Germany

• ProbsN1 wrote:

Do you now get vaccinated against the flu AND covid every year?
      On this weekend I have an invitation to the university semester start party. let's see if everyone is walking around with a mouth and nose mask

• kathyFL wrote:

ProbsN1 wrote:

naturelover-VT wrote:

kathyFL wrote:

Vaccination does effect other people though. Vaccinated people seem less likely to become infected so that reduces transmission + the unvaccinated are much more likely to require hospitalisation - this puts strain on the healthcare system which affects even people who got the vaccine. You see this in parts of the United States where states like Idaho with lower vaccination rates have been forced to send patients to Oregon. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be denied non-essential activities like restaurants if they won't do their part.Here in Australia, childcare subsidies and some family tax benefits can be cancelled if parents don't keep their kids up to date with their vaccinations.
      What I dont understand is that when you get vaccinated then you can still get the virus. So what exactly are you stopping by getting vacinated ? Why keep people from going places becuse they choose not to get it when the chances of spreading it is the same as a vaccinated person ?
      nortonhealthcare.com/news/can-…read-covid-after-vaccine/

cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/…s/breakthrough-cases.html

Why do you bother wearing a seatbelt when some people still die in car crashes while wearing seatbelts? Obviously, because it reduces the likelihood of death and being severely injured in a crash. It is the same with vaccination.

naturelover-VT wrote:

Ryzen wrote:

The purpose of the vaccine is not to prevent you 100% to catch the disease, it is just impossible, ni vaccine gives 100% immunity. The purpose is to reduce as much as possible chances to transmit it and, if you get it, minimize chances to get a severe form of the disease that would send you to hospital.
      Why wasn't that done years ago with the flu? Even with the flu, there were and are serious illnesses that have led to death.2016/2017 - 22.900 death // 2017/2018 - 25.100 death only in Germany

Firstly, flu vaccinations, while still worth getting, are generally not as effective as the vaccines we have for COVID-19. Influenza is quite variable and you have to try to guess what strains of it are most likely to be circulating. Secondly, because COVID-19 is significantly more infectious and likely to cause serious disease than seasonal flu. Seasonal flu doesn't typically put such a strain on healthcare systems that they run out of ICU beds.

If people want to take their chances with COVID, I would say fine. They're idiots but that's their choice. However, it doesn't just affect them when they're clogging up the healthcare system and preventing responsible people from getting healthcare. Since there doesn't seem to be the political will to turf them out of hospital beds when someone else needs it, people need to be incentivised to get vaccinated until there are enough people vaccinated that the system is no longer under-strain. I think we'll still be perfectly justified for judging people who don't get vaccinated but at least, at that point, they'll only be hurting themselves.
      What's up, my dudes?