For girls who don't play sports

• For girls who don't play sports

i read an article that says that of girls that participate in sports as kids, 1 in 3 stop playing by late teens, compared to 1 in 10 of boys. The sharpest dropoff happening around age 9. =O the study stated many factors like lack of time, availability, and awareness of sport, to changing priorities, low confidence, negative body image, perceived lack of skill, and feeling unwelcome.

For girls who don't play sports anymore, why did you quit???
    • That sounds sad and I don't like the reasons given even though they are probably right :(
      I didn't enter gymnastics at the season when Covid was about to shut everything down. The team did take off, but covid closed it shortly after.
      I'm not sure I have the time to resume unfortunately.
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • I'd still play for fun (if I had anyone to play with :( )

But mostly at school was told to concentrate on education and forget about sport (it's a distraction that takes away the time I should be studying/revising) and as I got through each year the spare time became less

Also doesn't help with the lack of girl sports clubs (mostly seem to focus on boys, or atleast in promoting themselves) or any sports clubs at the moments with covid and lacking funding

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Not sure if this just a USA study but I think girls sport is now becoming more popular in England women’s super league is been shown on sky sports yes you have to pay for it but it looked a big crowd at the emirates which how’s about 60,000yrsthey were only about 10,000 there but I see a lot more girls taking part in sport nowtnan before
      Just another former VT User 8o
    • Lionsden04 wrote:

Not sure if this just a USA study but I think girls sport is now becoming more popular in England women’s super league is been shown on sky sports yes you have to pay for it but it looked a big crowd at the emirates which how’s about 60,000yrsthey were only about 10,000 there but I see a lot more girls taking part in sport nowtnan before
      I think unfortunately there is the same problem in the uk with girls doing sports

telegraph.co.uk/womens-sport/2…kits-putting-girls-sport/

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

Lionsden04 wrote:

Not sure if this just a USA study but I think girls sport is now becoming more popular in England women’s super league is been shown on sky sports yes you have to pay for it but it looked a big crowd at the emirates which how’s about 60,000yrsthey were only about 10,000 there but I see a lot more girls taking part in sport nowtnan before
      I think unfortunately there is the same problem in the uk with girls doing sports
      telegraph.co.uk/womens-sport/2…kits-putting-girls-sport/
      Yes it’s bad when it’s gender kits especially in gymnastics and volleyball but most girls want to play football, rugby and cricket in the uk so the kit should be the same . Also the success of the females in the Olympics shouts make girls want to take part
      Just another former VT User 8o
    • I used to swim for my school and for a local swim club but I realised that if I wanted to do it seriously, I’d have had to commit a lot more time and energy to it, and I wasn’t sure I could with the pressures of school as well. It would have meant training every day, including in the morning before school, and I would have had to rely on my mum to get me there and as she’s a single mum looking after me and my brother, it would just have been too hard. Now I just swim for fun, which I actually prefer, though perhaps there’s a tiny part of me that wonders what if?
    • CayceStars wrote:

I was very active in colorguard/marching band from grades 8-12. I'd consider that some pretty physical activity. I haven't played any competitive sports for years, but I've always thought of myself as fairly athletic :)

kathyFL wrote:

I play volleyball, but I can say this about friends that played and quit. Really they went on to other things including Dance which is not considered a sport. And cheer is the same way. But both require skill and talent to go forward.

Maybe the survey was asking about the wrong things.
      right! With all the movement and coordination required for activities like dance and colorguard, yea legit athletes!!!

For me, idk if i will continue at college level because it is already such a time commitment and college classes are more demanding?? @CayceStars and @BlackParadePixie i know you two are not doing sports/colorguard anymore, but if you were do you think you would handle that and the class loads okay?
    • Kara Zor-El wrote:

CayceStars wrote:

I was very active in colorguard/marching band from grades 8-12. I'd consider that some pretty physical activity. I haven't played any competitive sports for years, but I've always thought of myself as fairly athletic :)

kathyFL wrote:

I play volleyball, but I can say this about friends that played and quit. Really they went on to other things including Dance which is not considered a sport. And cheer is the same way. But both require skill and talent to go forward.

Maybe the survey was asking about the wrong things.
      right! With all the movement and coordination required for activities like dance and colorguard, yea legit athletes!!!
      For me, idk if i will continue at college level because it is already such a time commitment and college classes are more demanding?? @CayceStars and @BlackParadePixie i know you two are not doing sports/colorguard anymore, but if you were do you think you would handle that and the class loads okay?
      Two years ago my answer would have been very different than it is now

I miss it. A lot. Yes, I do think I could handle both in college

However, being two years removed from it I am enjoying having time for other things, even if it means just relaxing or doing nothing. When I was doing colorguard, my entire social life was just that group (marching band), my bf at the time, and literally a couple of others that I had known since middle school. Since moving here I have had great experiences meeting a bunch of new people with different interests, and I appreciate that
    • CayceStars wrote:

Two years ago my answer would have been very different than it is now
      I miss it. A lot. Yes, I do think I could handle both in college

However, being two years removed from it I am enjoying having time for other things, even if it means just relaxing or doing nothing. When I was doing colorguard, my entire social life was just that group (marching band), my bf at the time, and literally a couple of others that I had known since middle school. Since moving here I have had great experiences meeting a bunch of new people with different interests, and I appreciate that
      Thank you. :)
      Yes lots to think about! In the meantime it's not like other schools are beating down my door trying to get me to commit. lol
    • I honestly don't think I could, but I tend to take heavier class loads than others. And my major is starting to require me to do more things outside of just the traditional class times. Plus I have joined several clubs while at school...and that takes up time too when I am actually on campus.