Wet Dreams

• Hey,

I'm 20 about to be 21 in October. This is super weird but I've noticed I have had 3 wet dreams in the past week and a half and I haven't had these hardly ever and the last time I experienced this was probably over 2 years ago. Does anybody know why this could be happening and if it's normal? I recently started sleeping in only my underwear or naked. Could this make a difference?

• corey_stratton wrote:

yeah i agree with Birds18, we learned i health class last year that # of wet dreams is related to # of times you masturbated or had sex activity with somebody. Even if its just making out with somebody, if it makes you ejaculate then that counts as sex activity.
    The usual explanation given for wet dreams is that happen when everything is full, because we have not ejaculated any other way for a while, and that the body needs the space for the cum that is still being produced and so takes charge and makes us ejaculate while we're asleep.

For many people, that explanation seems plausible and consistent with their experience, i.e. those who ejaculate some other way reasonably often, for example masturbation or sex, seem less prone to wet dreams and those who don't are more likely to get them. It also matches my experience in that I have never gone a really long time without ejaculating deliberately (the longest was about a week) and I have also never had a wet dream.

But it seems it isn't quite that simple. I have read quite a few posts, though not necessarily on here, from people who have said they abstained from other kinds of ejaculation for a few weeks and never got a wet dream and others who had a wet dream the same night as having masturbated or having had sex or who had more than one wet dream in the same night.

Some people have suggested that they have some connection with testosterone spikes and it just so happens that our testosterone starts to peak at around 4am. But again, if this was the only factor, why don't those who occasionally have wet dreams have them every night? The testosterone peak is presumably there every night.

So maybe there are others factors. Perhaps the mental and maybe even physical stimulation that hasn't, at least yet, lead to orgasm can encourage them. Maybe it is a combination of multiple factors.
  • yunasteven3 wrote:

Hey,

I'm 20 about to be 21 in October. This is super weird but I've noticed I have had 3 wet dreams in the past week and a half and I haven't had these hardly ever and the last time I experienced this was probably over 2 years ago. Does anybody know why this could be happening and if it's normal? I recently started sleeping in only my underwear or naked. Could this make a difference?

Hi Stephen,

What Birds18 mentioned is quite valid. If you haven't had sexual activity for a while, then that could be one reason why.
    Another may be because of hormone fluxes you get intermittently. Although you're 20, you'd certainly still be prone to having cycles of hormones being released which would cause this. Would you happen to be a late bloomer? Alternatively, it is known that we grow into our early 20s in many cases - are you still developing?

I am unsure about the experience of others, but I have found that when I am particularly active physically, but not active in the other sense, that I can get the occasional wet dream triggered. For example, I went on a hiking trip once and was very physically active - I noticed the need to shave myself more frequently and had a wet dream during the trip (at that time, the first one in more than a year). Have you been very physically active, but otherwise abstinent?

P.S. Welcome from another former VT'er!