Musical Inspiration

• Musical Inspiration

I think it's clear to many now, that I'm really into quality music. I dare to say I'm musical as well and I'm eager to learn quickly. I play guitar and I always liked to sing, but through the years I've been more and more into harsh vocal styles. I'm a huge MetalHead and nothing is too hard, while much is too soft for me.

My inspiration for playing guitars are rhythmic guitarists in bands. I love Riffs and to name some of my inspirations: (even if you only know maybe one or two of them)

Alex Bailey - Sylosis
      Andrew O'Connor - Lorna Shore
      Francesco Paoli - Fleshgod Apocalypse
      James Hetfield - Metallica

For clean singing I like the style of:

Aurora Aksnes - Aurora

For growling, where my true focus is now:

Will Ramos - Lorna Shore
      CJ McCreery - Ex Lorna Shore
      Alex Terrible - Slaughter to Prevail
      Dickie Allen - Infant Annihilator
      Travis Ryan - Cattle Decapitation
      Tanya Beickert - Monochromatic Black

If you play some instrument or sing, who is your inspiration for learning? And just if you want to play or sing, but haven't got to try yet, who do you like?

:thumbsup: <3
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

When they are growling I can't really hear what they are saying so the song doesn't make sense to me.
      I hear that a lot, but the lyrics are very serious and can't really be delivered in any softer way. As I have listened to this kind of music for LONG, it's easy for me to understand.
      The lyrics however are really food for thought, and it takes some time to process, so reading lyrics is a part of loving this kind of music.
      Try to see the vocals as an instrument in itself suiting the music, rather than just only bringing a message.
      If you are interested, try to read the lyrics from Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas :)
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • When I hear a song I usually try to hear the lyrics rather than read them, so if I can't then it's not the way I prefer to understand. But I agree the voice isn't just about getting language across, it is an instrument itself. Can you listen to BBC radio shows online in Denmark Natacha? This one was all about the amazing things the human voice can do:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q38s

When I hear a song I usually try to hear the lyrics rather than read them, so if I can't then it's not the way I prefer to understand. But I agree the voice isn't just about getting language across, it is an instrument itself. Can you listen to BBC radio shows online in Denmark Natacha? This one was all about the amazing things the human voice can do:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q38s
      No we don't use BBC so often, but thanks for the link.
      I watch videos where vocal coaches talk in depth about growling. My own vocal coach is on youtube aswell :)
    • OK it's good I have never heard this before! Wow! I just listened to Travis Ryan singing about Death Atlas.

It's great powerful music. Is it real human drumming- it's so fast.

But I had to read the words before otherwise I would have no idea what the words were about. It is kind of like a piece of music on one side - good music- and a powerful poem for me to read myself - but I have to do the reading myself to fully experience the music.

The voices radio programme has got lots of old type singing, but she explains what the voice can do really well. I had to sign in to listen to it though so I don't know if you can do that.
    • I'd say the biggest inspiration to me would be Hayley Williams. Cool girl singing in a band. Kinda romantic writing but gets embarrassed about it. Likes to bounce around and be happy. But also inside kinda depressed and sad at times (yeah I think I did just describe myself :lol: )

Also Avril Lavigne and Florence Welch as other girls that do music I like

After that theres so many bands I like that inspired me in different ways

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."

OK it's good I have never heard this before! Wow! I just listened to Travis Ryan singing about Death Atlas.
      It's great powerful music. Is it real human drumming- it's so fast.
      But I had to read the words before otherwise I would have no idea what the words were about. It is kind of like a piece of music on one side - good music- and a powerful poem for me to read myself - but I have to do the reading myself to fully experience the music.
      The voices radio programme has got lots of old type singing, but she explains what the voice can do really well. I had to sign in to listen to it though so I don't know if you can do that.
      :D Yes yes yes. You are right. It is powerful music and the talent is sky high from all in the band. And yes the drumming is real. Fast and precise. Travis Ryan is a special vocalist. He has done a lot of exploring. The half clean, half harsh vocal style he has in the chorus is something he developed and it's some of his trademarks.
      If you are up for it, listen to Lorna Shore - To the Hellfire. You might find that even harder. That's the song I'm currently learning to sing. You will also find fast drumming in this :)
    • BJade wrote:

I'd say the biggest inspiration to me would be Hayley Williams. Cool girl singing in a band. Kinda romantic writing but gets embarrassed about it. Likes to bounce around and be happy. But also inside kinda depressed and sad at times (yeah I think I did just describe myself :lol: )

Do you sing their songs also? And is it you, who get embarrassed? And you do play some instruments I know, so are the same artists also your inspiration there? :)
    • musicalguy wrote:

As much as I love playing/listening to music I am really not inspired to create anything but I do still play guitar often
      What do you like to play, and who inspired you to begin in the first place?
    • Natacha wrote:

BJade wrote:

I'd say the biggest inspiration to me would be Hayley Williams. Cool girl singing in a band. Kinda romantic writing but gets embarrassed about it. Likes to bounce around and be happy. But also inside kinda depressed and sad at times (yeah I think I did just describe myself :lol: )

Do you sing their songs also? And is it you, who get embarrassed? And you do play some instruments I know, so are the same artists also your inspiration there? :)
      yeah I do sing some of there songs (I pretty much sing any song I like from anyone :D )

Both. I do from the few songs I've ever wrote got a little embarrassed (especially with the person I wrote it about)

I'd say for playing instruments Dave Grohl is quite an influence, started drums in Nirvana, plays Guitar in Foo Fighters. And did a song he played ever instrument on (showing if you give it a try you can give every instrument a basic play)

When I play guitar I tend to play more acoustic versions. So tend to be inspired by the group or an acoustic cover version of songs I like, and maybe just put my own style to it (manly because I'm not so great so can't play anything to technical)

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

Natacha wrote:

BJade wrote:

yeah I do sing some of there songs (I pretty much sing any song I like from anyone :D )
      Both. I do from the few songs I've ever wrote got a little embarrassed (especially with the person I wrote it about)

I'd say for playing instruments Dave Grohl is quite an influence, started drums in Nirvana, plays Guitar in Foo Fighters. And did a song he played ever instrument on (showing if you give it a try you can give every instrument a basic play)

When I play guitar I tend to play more acoustic versions. So tend to be inspired by the group or an acoustic cover version of songs I like, and maybe just put my own style to it (manly because I'm not so great so can't play anything to technical)
      Did you sing your song to the person you wrote it about?
    • Natacha wrote:

I dare to say I'm musical as well and I'm eager to learn quickly. I always liked to sing, but through the years I've been more and more into harsh vocal styles.

Nora Fischer is talking about vocal registers, humans can use different parts of the throat and body to make different sounds. Maybe growling type singing is using the vocal fry register.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

She hasn't talked about growling death metal music really, but she did talk about Bulgarian women doing traditional harsh sounding folk music singing. She said that sometimes people think it is really bad for the voice, but when she went to see a concert there were lots of old ladies looking healthy and nothing wrong with the voice, so maybe it's not so bad for the voice if you look after it.

Natacha wrote:

I dare to say I'm musical as well and I'm eager to learn quickly. I always liked to sing, but through the years I've been more and more into harsh vocal styles.
      Nora Fischer is talking about vocal registers, humans can use different parts of the throat and body to make different sounds. Maybe growling type singing is using the vocal fry register.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

She hasn't talked about growling death metal music really, but she did talk about Bulgarian women doing traditional harsh sounding folk music singing. She said that sometimes people think it is really bad for the voice, but when she went to see a concert there were lots of old ladies looking healthy and nothing wrong with the voice, so maybe it's not so bad for the voice if you look after it.
      Vocal fry is what Britney Spears use all the time :)

Vocal fry is used in softer metal, than in my style, and it's still something you'd do while singing in your "real voice"
      When growling correctly, the false vocal cords are in use. This way you will not have a chance to hear my true voice in there. That is why I'm able to sound like a man, as some would say.
      If you listen to Jinjer - Pisces, she, yes SHE will show you the difference.
    • Ha that guy has ridiculous chops but that's definitely not what I am going for. I can watch stuff like that and be super impressed with how they play but it doesn't hit at any kind of gut or emotional level for me. There's some metal stuff I like but for the most part it isn't really my thing. Definitely try to be a rock solid human metronome like that at whatever I do though.