What does this make me?

• What does this make me?

At school I have PE during the last period of the day. I had to stay late one day last week because I had to talk to the teacher for a bit, and so when I was showering, there was only one other guy in the showers with me. I don't know him very well, since he's a senior, so we were just going about our own business. Suddenly, I hear him say "Excuse me," and when I looked over at him, he suddenly grabbed his thing and shook it at me, and I found myself popping a woody right there in front of him! He laughed and called me a perv and went back to showering.

Is he right? Am I a perv? If not, what am I?
    • That certainly doesn't make you a perv. If anyone was a perv, it would be him for his behaviour.

We get erections for all sorts of reasons. The most common is sexual arousal, but not necessarily. It could also be for one of those many rather unknowable reasons we get boners. I'm sure very few people find trigonometry sexy, but I'm sure a large proportion of teenage guys have randomly got hard in a maths lesson.

This one incident has basically no bearing on 'what' you are.

Even if you were interested by his penis (which I should state, is perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of and see as 'pervy'), that doesn't necessarily say anything about your sexual orientation.

You could still be straight and merely experiencing rather normal curiosity teenagers do. Many of us have shared wanking techniques or talked about our dicks and that can get us a bit aroused. Not all of those are necessarily not straight. It's more the association with sex that can be a turn on.

You could be sexually attracted to guys. In which case you may be bi or gay. That's equally fine.

You could even be asexual.

This incident doesn't define you or "make you" anything. It certainly doesn't say anything negative about you. Getting an erection in the way you did is entirely uncontrollable and could be for almost any reason. Frankly, society should view it the same as a sneeze. You can only be 'pervy' through active decision and behaviour.

Feel no pressure to define your sexuality and explore it safely. There's no need to be a certain way or even truly know what your "way" is. I, for one, (though, if pushed, I would say I'm bi), am still certainly figuring it all out still.

If you ever want to talk about this sort of stuff. Feel free to direct message me here.
    • No, I wouldn't say you're gay (and this is coming from someone who's gay). If anything, it's the other guy who's gay and a perv for randomly shaking his thing at you. Now, granted, you might be gay (I can't really say one way or the other just based on what you said), but you were surprised by what he did, and caught off-guard as a result.