When/how does experimenting become real?

• When/how does experimenting become real?

The subject says it all. If several nine-year old boys are, say, showing each other their penises to see who is/isn't circumcised, that's just basic innocent fun.

If two 17 year old girls are kissing with toungue, they're probably not straight.

What say you all? I'm not sure where "the line" is, but it's probably (to me) somewhere around 8th grade. It seems around then is when people generally start being more modest/shy with their nudity/sex stuff.
    • How can you put an age on it? if a girl is in her early 20's and has NEVER done anything intimate with anyone...aren't her first few forays into that still going to be considered experimenting?

The whole concept of experimenting is not about age, its about figuring out what you like.
    • I'll weigh in! I think you depart the realms of experimentation when you develop feelings for the person you are experimenting with. Two boys "doing it" without feelings is simply that. Once it becomes a routine and you start falling in love, then you have crossed the realms. I wouldn't give a specific age or grade as a cut off either. Like said above, you could be messing around with a friend at 18 years old and just trying things out.
    • I think it happens at that invisible line were puberty hits and hormones and sexual thoughts start roaming our heads.
      Younger children may with extreme curiosity inspect each other bodies, private parts, bodily functions, without putting anything sexual into it and show the same interest in their own sex as the other regardless of what their sexual interests will come to be once puberty hits.
      Once puberty hits this bodily curiosity takes completely other tone and changes into a sexual one. So I think this is "when" - when puberty hits.
    • Murderous_bunny wrote:

I think it happens at that invisible line were puberty hits and hormones and sexual thoughts start roaming our heads.
      Younger children may with extreme curiosity inspect each other bodies, private parts, bodily functions, without putting anything sexual into it and show the same interest in their own sex as the other regardless of what their sexual interests will come to be once puberty hits.
      Once puberty hits this bodily curiosity takes completely other tone and changes into a sexual one. So I think this is "when" - when puberty hits.
      In my case this makes sense! The feelings for him definitely started after I started puberty and that is definitely when things took a different direction. Hormones must be powerful things!
    • Ashley2004 wrote:

if you try something new, whether that's sexually or a new food or a new hobby, a few times to see if you enjoy it, that's experimenting. If you've decided you like it and continue, that's not really experimenting anymore.
      Good point :)
      Then if you like doing it regularly but dont have feelings for your friend, like "just for fun", how do you call it ?
    • Each person is different. Each person finds themselves at different times and one is no better than the other. For me I really started to figure things out around 12 years old and then at 14 is when I opened up more and started sharing that with others and making it known. It is obvious that other people it happens earlier than that or even much later and whatever they experiment with during those times is totally up to them and what they are comfortable with. I think when we start putting people in boxes and saying things start at certain ages or whatever that is where people start to get fucked up. Just be free and have fun with your life. See what you don't like and see what you like and go with it.