In the army now

• Snowfox wrote:

SouthernDude wrote:

I would if it were a dire situation. I'm not a big fan of how personal rights laws conflict with drafting and other military laws, so I wouldn't even consider it until I turn 21
      Interesting can you open that personal right laws etc a bit further.
      A whole morality aspect of mandatory military sercive thing is interesting subject indeed
      In the USA, you are not allowed to consume alcohol or tobacco products until you are 21. You are allowed to vote at 18, but some people have to wait a while for the next election. But the US government is allowed to send you away to die in war at 18 years old. I know the drafting system hasn't been used since the 70's, but there's still a possibility of it being used again, and people can be sent to die without ever being able to drink or smoke. It just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun." - Winnie the Pooh

R.I.P. VT
      2004 - 2021

For questions/comments/concerns please DM here or contact:
      [email protected]
    • In Portugal, there is no mandatory military service. There used to be, but only for boys.
      Any military service is voluntary, for both men and women.
      But, until a few years ago only for boys and now for everyone, on the year they turn 18, they have to go one day to the "National Defense Day", where the military shows stuff and what they do, and kind of try to convice you into joining.

It will be a few years until it's my turn, it might even change until then.
      But I don't want to join. I have no interest in going to other places to kill people and tell them how to run things.

I understand that there are also peace missions, but I also don't want to die. I don't want to go somewhere just to get killed, severly injured, or become mentally ill.
    • Snowfox wrote:

Why it seems that most teens are unenthusiastic about change to have a machine gun and to be part of organization thats purpose is to kill people.Also having a change to go overseas to blow up people and places is there so.... Like why it seems that no teen wants to do that?
      I like that... in video games. Definitely not in real
    • notthatchrisevans wrote:

I voted no as I would not want to go. But in Austria, it's mandatory for all boys (who are medically fit). Thankfully, there is an alternative community service that I will do if I am not unfit because of my mental challenges.
      What mental challenges ?
      I dont know you a lot but by reading you, you look like a normal person to me ;)
    • SouthernDude wrote:

Snowfox wrote:

SouthernDude wrote:

I would if it were a dire situation. I'm not a big fan of how personal rights laws conflict with drafting and other military laws, so I wouldn't even consider it until I turn 21
      Interesting can you open that personal right laws etc a bit further.A whole morality aspect of mandatory military sercive thing is interesting subject indeed
      In the USA, you are not allowed to consume alcohol or tobacco products until you are 21. You are allowed to vote at 18, but some people have to wait a while for the next election. But the US government is allowed to send you away to die in war at 18 years old. I know the drafting system hasn't been used since the 70's, but there's still a possibility of it being used again, and people can be sent to die without ever being able to drink or smoke. It just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.
      So if draft age would be lifted to 21 or smoking and drinking lowered to 18 you would be just happy to go and kill terrorists at Terroristan?

Personally I like guns. I love guns. I get change to have something full automatic issued to me and it sounds cool.
      I wouldnt want to die so.

I bet its different in USA where they actually send you overseas and you get to do some shit. It would be nice to have some veterans telling highschool kids truths about those wars. Good and bad alike.
    • Starlord wrote:

notthatchrisevans wrote:

I voted no as I would not want to go. But in Austria, it's mandatory for all boys (who are medically fit). Thankfully, there is an alternative community service that I will do if I am not unfit because of my mental challenges.
      What mental challenges ?I dont know you a lot but by reading you, you look like a normal person to me ;)
      Mental challenges doesn't mean I have to be institutionalised. I have ADHD and social anxieties.
    • BJade wrote:

if it was to help make peace I would. I wouldn't want to do anything that would hurt someone unless it was a last resort

Though honestly they wouldn't really want me even if I did want to

CayceStars wrote:

Not really a path I want to voluntarily take, so no :huh:
      I definitely would take that path if it would make world peace as Jade stated. I would give my life for world peace,but we all know that would never happen in human history, so sad.
      :jmp:
    • World Peace is something I strongly wish for and I think if it is to come true then we are the generation to make it come true. As I look at what we have been given by the adults ahead of us it is nothing more then a pile of shit pretty much for the most part. We as the young generation need to become the ones to bring change and come up with and implement these changes. We can't continue to do what the people of today do and sit on their hands and just run their mouths and get nothing done. We need to be the ones that say it and then get it done.

No I am not a huge teen activist or anything like that, I just see what is in front of us and know it has to be changed.
    • Lets put some of my thoughts here.
      I dont see world peace as feasible goal.
      Reasons for this are bullies. Its as simple as that. Look to school bully. They act like they act because no one dares to do anything to them. There is only one language that violent bullies understand and its violence.
      No amount of kisses and kowtowing or or soft sanctions stopped Nazi Germany. Brutal military power solved that problem.

No amount of soft sanctions stop serial killers or hardened gangsters. There are fair amount of people who are more than willing to kill torture and exploit other people just because they can. And as long as good people stand idle by and are helpless they will thrive. Karma does not exist. Kind people wont inherit earth. People who have audacity to take what they want without giving rats ass about other peoples opinions will inherit earth. People who have balls to do what they think is right and balls to use force when necessary will inherit earth.

There is big difference being nice and civil by your choise compared to being nice and civil because you are so weak that you dont have other choise.

Main purpose of military is just same as main purpose of police. It is to deter assholes from attacking. Its fairly easy to mug someone whom you know doesnt carry any weapon and who is tiny and weak. BUt if you dont know for sure if they carry weapon or if they openly carry you better stay away. Having military also means that you can protect your friends and help others by that power you have. Thats exactly what peace keeping and peace forcing operations are.
      Its like if your neighbours house is on fire its in your best interest to help him so the fire doesnt spread.

Stronger you are more responsibility it takes from you to not to become that bully who uses its power only and only for his own good. (Russia and China anyone????)

And then comes the biggest part why I think people should step up and serve. Especially we younger people.
      If you have and military that is comprised of common men and women that military is way less likely to wanting to go to war for stupid reasons.
      Common people do not like war if they have to fight it by them self or see their kids doing it.
      Common people like to live their lives in peace.
      Common people do not vote for warmongering maniacs if there is significant risk that it means that they them self need to fight wars because of it.
      Common people are not hood rats or lower runks of society who make up big portions of professional militaries manpower.

That is why mandatory military service is a damn good idea. Provided opportunity for non-armed civilian service for conscious objectors.

Surely all militaries need certain amount of readily available troops that are highly trained and ready to be deployed at moments notice but reserves are main fighting force in all major militaries let alone non major ones.

I know that if your profession is flipping burgers it doesnt qualify you to fly fighter jet. That needs professional soldiers. Same for submarines and ships in general.

Why I promote mandatory service instead of draft that is already in place in USA.
      I think its better to be fighter a garden than a gardener in war. Its preparing for worst and working for best. Working not hoping.
    • its great to say that carrying weapons and having armies stop bullies (and wars, and give peace)

But people who carry weapons still get killed every day. Gang violence, serving police, just a random mugging or robbery, requires one bullet or stab that could kill

And sending troops into wars has helped loads. No problem anymore in Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan. Countries like Vietnam are still dealing with mines and chemicals. The UK, Germany, France... still find bombs that haven't exploded every few months (and they still can explode and kill after nearly a century)

It's great to say that all you need is to sent people to stop them. But I'm sure when theres a nuclear weapon wiping out Europe or US no amount of army is going to stop that :(

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

its great to say that carrying weapons and having armies stop bullies (and wars, and give peace)

But people who carry weapons still get killed every day. Gang violence, serving police, just a random mugging or robbery, requires one bullet or stab that could kill

Yes it does. By great deal. It deters them. Its way easier to mug anyone in UK where people are generally unarmed sheeps than in Texas where people will shoot you if you try. It doesnt completely prevent them but not even trying to prevent that is equal to "roll over and die". Either you fight to protect yourself and others or you give up. You have chosen latter obviously.

And sending troops into wars has helped loads. No problem anymore in Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan. Countries like Vietnam are still dealing with mines and chemicals. The UK, Germany, France... still find bombs that haven't exploded every few months (and they still can explode and kill after nearly a century)

No one helped Finland during winterwar and only nazies helped us during Continuation war and yes we find unexploded ordnance despite of lack of British or American influence. It is not because someone helps or not helps neighbour in need it is because there was war at first place. Plus NATO has prevented any bigger war happening in Europe since its foundation.

It's great to say that all you need is to sent people to stop them. But I'm sure when theres a nuclear weapon wiping out Europe or US no amount of army is going to stop that :(

No amount of convention army will stop Nuclear war but having nuclear weapons of your own will stop it. If country gets nuclear weapons Its pretty much guaranteed that they will be let alone. Provide that they have conventional means to protect their nuclear stockpile and conventional means enough to prevent surprise attack.

All in all you either give up and let bully control you as you have decided. Or you prevent it or at least put hefty pricetag to it. You choose but obviously you dont value yourself or your country enough or at all to accept that.