ADHD and puberty

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ADHD and puberty

(Not really sure what section to put it in, but I think it fits here, hopefully.)

As some of you know, I have ADHD and some other mental challenges and am on meds. I've not really hit puberty yet, but am getting treatment for that because ADHD meds can delay puberty and through the shots, my hormone levels have been increasing. Anyhow, that's not really what I wanted to ask about.

My problem is that the past two weeks, I had a tough time concentrating. Not just at school, but almost anything. I had been warned that once I start puberty/have hormonal changes, my ADHD might act up again and treatment may have to be adjusted.

Has anyone with ADHD experienced the same? I found some mommy blog posts online, but that wasn't too helpful and even sounded scary.
    • Puberty can effect behaviour in anyone from mood swings to lack of concentration. I can’t really give any medical advice on it but best just to keep an eye on it and speak to a doctor if you’re worried about anything they may have to increase or decrease your medication
      I’m not clumsy its just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way
    • AshleighB wrote:

Puberty can effect behaviour in anyone from mood swings to lack of concentration. I can’t really give any medical advice on it but best just to keep an eye on it and speak to a doctor if you’re worried about anything they may have to increase or decrease your medication
      Thanks, but I wasn't looking for medical advice anyways. My meds have already been changed. Just wanted to know if others with ADHD had similar issues.
    • my cousin was very similar except he started puberty pretty early. Once he was on ADHD medication it definitely slowed things down for him. I don’t think that he’s had any flareups with being able to concentrate and deal with schoolwork and stuff. I do think that the medication does affect development physically. Did your doctor lower your ADHD dosage?
    • notthatchrisevans wrote:

(Not really sure what section to put it in, but I think it fits here, hopefully.)

As some of you know, I have ADHD and some other mental challenges and am on meds. I've not really hit puberty yet, but am getting treatment for that because ADHD meds can delay puberty and through the shots, my hormone levels have been increasing. Anyhow, that's not really what I wanted to ask about.

My problem is that the past two weeks, I had a tough time concentrating. Not just at school, but almost anything. I had been warned that once I start puberty/have hormonal changes, my ADHD might act up again and treatment may have to be adjusted.

Has anyone with ADHD experienced the same? I found some mommy blog posts online, but that wasn't too helpful and even sounded scary.
      I have a friend who has ADHD and sorta hit puberty early af at 12 and friends with adhd that hit it at 15-15. I kinda was the person that was answering questions or just was there when he needed to talk about stuff so perhaps what i say helps.

When you're going thru puberty and taking ADHD meds//having ADHD you defo can have a hard time concentrating and just overall be feeling more shit/sad/confused//moody. Its okay if you feel these emotions, they're normal, try to understand how you feel and make sure you're doing things to make yourself feel better. If you do feel hornier then perhaps pick up exercise or just try to understand how to deal with your sexual urges.

Don't be afraid, if you got any concerns you should talk to your doctors/parents and a friend you trust or feel can help. You can do anything you put your mind to and if you're really struggling lookup techniques to help concentrate.

One of my friends suggested that writing down how you feel or just being about to talk to someone about how you feel really helped him with his fears or sorting out his emotions.

Thatrandomguy wrote:

I've heard before that people on ADHD mediations typically start puberty later and they tend to be smaller than others.
      Doubt lol. My friends with ADHD either range from a 5-6" and they have ADHD. heck one at 12 was 5-5" and ended up with 6" a few weeks before he turned 13. I consider those statements as untrue as Asians having small dicks cause i know Asians with 6-7 inchers.
    • Birds18 wrote:

I think there’s exceptions to all rules. If you do a Google search it definitely talks about boys taking ADHD medication having delayed puberty. But of course I’m sure that there are other guys that have taken ADHD medication and been an early bloomer or started directly on time.
      Yeah there always is. Some of my friends hit it as early as 11-12 and some are as late as 15-16. I do acknowledge that the meds may delay it but you dont rly know till you're at that age and even then puberty works in a mysterious way.

Latebloomers are also kinda "normal"
    • DragonV2 wrote:

Birds18 wrote:

I think there’s exceptions to all rules. If you do a Google search it definitely talks about boys taking ADHD medication having delayed puberty. But of course I’m sure that there are other guys that have taken ADHD medication and been an early bloomer or started directly on time.
      Yeah there always is. Some of my friends hit it as early as 11-12 and some are as late as 15-16. I do acknowledge that the meds may delay it but you dont rly know till you're at that age and even then puberty works in a mysterious way.
      Latebloomers are also kinda "normal"
      The reason I initially asked the question is because my cousin started puberty at a very early age just before he turned 10 and shortly after that he went on ADHD medicine. It pretty much put his development on pause
    • Thatrandomguy wrote:

I agree that there are going to be exceptions to the rule and the meds won't delay puberty or make all of them smaller, but generally speaking they do. And its not just penis size, but overall body size.
      Interesting. I didn’t know that the ADHD medication affected actual penis size or sexual development. I just figured that it caused delayed puberty and eventually the boy or girl would grow normally. I thought it would just be a temporary delay
    • To bring the thread back to my original question, which wasn't about delayed puberty, really...

I had a meds change since my first post and I can concentrate a lot better again. I'm still more moody than I was, but I guess that can be written off to starting puberty. Not that I am suddenly where others are, but there is definitely something happening. So I guess the hormone shots are starting to do their thing or getting me started with what should have happened on its own. And the new meds are keeping me focused, which I can't remember the old meds ever doing as well as these.

@DragonV2 Thanks, next to my family and friends, I go to therapy twice a week so I got plenty of chances to talk.

My cousin Thomas also has adhd he has the same issue, his treatment interferes with hormones, he has periods during which he has issues to concentrate and others during which he is fine
      I'm not sure if it's related but he is not far into puberty either
    • I have an uncle who's ADHD. He was diagnosed at age 3 and spent several years as a kid taking a medication for it called Ritalin (I think that's how it's spelled). He started puberty around age 11.

Now, do ADHD medications delay puberty? I don't know. I'm not a doctor, so I'm really not qualified to say so. There are some here who say that ADHD medications indeed seem to have affected either them or someone they know puberty-wise, while others (like my uncle) say that the meds had no noticeable effect on them. I'm hesitant to accept things found on the Internet at face value because yes, there's a lot of truth out there, but there's also a lot of misinformation, and I hear that in cases like medicine, there can be, as others have noted, be situations where the answer is "It depends," and it can sometimes he hard to say what is the rule and what is the exception to that rule.

It's kinda funny how the thread keeps shifting towards the topic of delayed puberty, which was not the question...
      Life is funny in many ways. You wrote in the puberty section and mentioned puberty so im not surprised that the topic goes to delayed puberty.

In all honesty did anything in this thread helped you??

I get that you was asking if people experienced their adhd acting up during puberty and having some troubles concentrating which tbh the answer is 60% likely to be yes. One of my irl friends was a mess and convinced his parents to actually get him to see a doctor to get his meds adjusted and he found it easier to concentrate
    • DragonV2 wrote:

In all honesty did anything in this thread helped you??
      No, not really. (I am not being mean, I appreciate people replied. However, I am answering honestly.)

DragonV2 wrote:

I get that you was asking if people experienced their adhd acting up during puberty and having some troubles concentrating which tbh the answer is 60% likely to be yes. One of my irl friends was a mess and convinced his parents to actually get him to see a doctor to get his meds adjusted and he found it easier to concentrate
      This is kinda helpful, or at least on topic.